• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Sekirei Rights Expire on February 9

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:25 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
At the moment, both seasons can be bought on Amazon. I would imagine it might stay up for a while after 2/9. I just got to reload my Amazon gift card and get "Pure Engagement" then (I bough the 1st season a few hours ago).

I'm curious why you went for separate packages instead of the "complete series" package (which is only $37.99 for both series on Blu-ray & DVD).

Frankly, if anyone has any interest in the series and can spare the funds, they should consider buying the series and putting it on the shelf. In the worst case (i.e., you never even open the package to re-watch) one could always resell it at an inflated price once the supply begins to dry up.

Given what has happened to other Aniplex series that have disappeared from Funimation, I don't expect to see these re-issued on home video, and the odds of them appearing on another streaming platform don't seem to be that great, either.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
No one should be surprised about Aniplex's actions, they have been doing this for some time now. It has been discussed here before also. Any Aniplex title should be considered an endangered species, one that might disappear at the drop of the hat.

Just make sure you back up your fansubs. That is the only solution.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

No, it isn't the only solution. One could also buy the reasonably priced Funimation DVD/BD before they go out of print and stock runs out. It isn't as if Aniplex is going to show up at your front door with a warrant to take possession of your physical property.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

No, it isn't the only solution. One could also buy the reasonably priced Funimation DVD/BD before they go out of print and stock runs out. It isn't as if Aniplex is going to show up at your front door with a warrant to take possession of your physical property.

Yeah, I kinda missed that one. Thanks.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Aniplex is becoming a real pain in my opinion. Funimation paid a lot for the rights, creates a dub and then is unable to renew license when it expires because Aniplex dont let them. Seriously Aniplex gets the most out of this this way.

I feel sorry for all new anime fans in the future. Your wallets will hate you.

afraid i have to agree. this BS that aniplex does have become from a nuisance to downright annoyance. i dont know that their doing this cause funi doesnt have the funds to maintain the licenses anymore or that their doing this on purpose cause of some kind of gripe they have with them. probably jealously of sorts since their US brand haven't done so hot lately after madoka magica while funi popularity have only increased.

whatever their beef is, they definitely need to stop before eventually their japaneese audiences will get annoyed by their practices to the point that it will hit them in their bottom line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tekisasu-shū no Robu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Sekirei was what brought me back to anime in a major way in 2011 after kind of losing track of it in the mid-90s. It's too bad it won't be available for streaming anymore, but I have the discs.

Sekirei also sparked my interest in manga; the Sekirei manga is naturally more expansive than the anime, with more detail and deeper characterization.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
TheMorry wrote:
Aniplex is becoming a real pain in my opinion. Funimation paid a lot for the rights, creates a dub and then is unable to renew license when it expires because Aniplex dont let them. Seriously Aniplex gets the most out of this this way.

I feel sorry for all new anime fans in the future. Your wallets will hate you.

afraid i have to agree. this BS that aniplex does have become from a nuisance to downright annoyance. i dont know that their doing this cause funi doesnt have the funds to maintain the licenses anymore or that their doing this on purpose cause of some kind of gripe they have with them. probably jealously of sorts since their US brand haven't done so hot lately after madoka magica while funi popularity have only increased.

whatever their beef is, they definitely need to stop before eventually their japaneese audiences will get annoyed by their practices to the point that it will hit them in their bottom line.
I think Sword Art online is bigger than any of their other (English dub) releases.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Don't care for the show, but care for Aniplex doing this shiii. Seriously, they take away the rights and never do anything with them. I gotta ask, what other titles does Funi currently have that belong to Aniplex?
Vannil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Don't care for the show, but care for Aniplex doing this shiii. Seriously, they take away the rights and never do anything with them. I gotta ask, what other titles does Funi currently have that belong to Aniplex?

here is the list of all remaining Aniplex titles for all non- aniplex Groups:
2/09/17: Sekirei (Seasons 1 & 2)

05/29/17: Black Butler

08/02/17: Angel Beats!

08/12/17: Night Raid 1931

06/01/18: Mardock Scramble: The First Compression

06/02/18: Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion

06/30/18: Black Butler II

06/30/18: Shiki

07/02/18: No.6

08/31/18: Darker Than Black: Gemini of the Meteor (season 2)

10/02/18: Persona 4: The Animation

11/02/18: A-Channel: The Animation

12/01/18: Inu X Boku Secret Service

12/31/18: Mardock Scramble: The Third Exhaust

03/12/19: Rurouni Kenshin: New Kyoto Arc

04/01/19: tsuritama

10/12/20: Guilty Crown

06/30/22: Black Butler: Book of Circus

Soruce: https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/8036/the-official-expiring-aniplex-titles-master-list/2

Last edited by Vannil on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
I'm curious why you went for separate packages instead of the "complete series" package (which is only $37.99 for both series on Blu-ray & DVD).

I am more of a streaming person.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Dammit Aniplex.

And the manga finished too. So any final season is gonna be a $200 investment.

Wasnt the ending of S2 different than from the manga? Atleast i heard that. However S2 did set up a S3 sequel which we never got.

I know that the second season diverged about halfway through (at the point that spoiler[Kagari got winged]), though I've never gotten around to watching much past the point where it diverged. So, I don't know exactly how much they diverged, but the part where every Sekirei has to have spoiler[defeated someone or she's out of the "game"] is not in the manga at all, and with where the manga goes right after that divergence point, there's pretty much no way that the ending of the second season comes from the manga, regardless of how well it would segue into the manga material if they were to start adapting it again with a third season. I really need to get around to actually watching the rest of the second season one of these days though. As it stands, I have no idea how well the end of the second season would segue into the manga material again. It could be that it would work well, and it could be that the way they ended it makes continuing extremely difficult. I just know that it diverged in the middle and that the ending can't have come from the manga.

The beginning of the second season was a bit different too, because of how they ended the first season (in the manga, spoiler[Kazehana was winged at the end of the bridge fight in the manga, whereas in the anime they have the whole sequence where she saves Minato at the beginning of the second season and then gets winged]), but that part was actually better than what was in the manga IMHO, because it was more fleshed out and very funny - particularly that phone call with Ku. But Sekirei was never in a good position with its second season, because the part that happens in the manga after its first half is not short and does not have a good stopping point near where the second season would have ended had they just followed the manga. Sekirei really isn't written in a way that chops up into single cours seasons very well. So, I really don't find it surprising that we've never gotten more, regardless of what they did with the end of the second season. I suspect that that's a good part of why we've never gotten more in spite of how much fanservice like this tends to sell.

Now, on the bright side, Yen Press has actually been releasing the manga digitally with a new volume coming out about every two months. I'd totally missed that until recently, because it's unfortunately, digital only. But it does mean that we're finally officially getting the manga in English - and at a pretty good pace too. The most recent volume ends at about the divergence point of the second season. So, if you've just seen the anime and not read any scanlations or whatnot, you should be getting fully new material with the volume that comes out in about a week.

So, as much as the situation with the license for the anime sucks, the situation with the manga is actually pretty good right now. My only complaint is that it's digital only. I'd really like to get a physical release (though they almost certainly wouldn't release it so quickly in a physical format, so there is an upside to it being digital only).
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:06 am Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

here is the list of all remaining Aniplex titles for all non- aniplex Groups:
2/09/17: Sekirei (Seasons 1 & 2)

05/29/17: Black Butler

08/02/17: Angel Beats!

08/12/17: Night Raid 1931

06/01/18: Mardock Scramble: The First Compression

06/02/18: Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion

06/30/18: Black Butler II

06/30/18: Shiki

07/02/18: No.6

08/31/18: Darker Than Black: Gemini of the Meteor (season 2)

10/02/18: Persona 4: The Animation

11/02/18: A-Channel: The Animation

12/01/18: Inu X Boku Secret Service

12/31/18: Mardock Scramble: The Third Exhaust

03/12/19: Rurouni Kenshin: New Kyoto Arc

04/01/19: tsuritama

10/12/20: Guilty Crown

06/30/22: Black Butler: Book of Circus

Soruce: https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/8036/the-official-expiring-aniplex-titles-master-list/2

that there is a serious amount of titles they have and i wont be surprised if their plan is to reclaim those license so they and release them in the US at their usual outrageous prices. seriously they need to get some balls and end this massive BO before their american company ends up folding six ways to sunday just like bandai ent.

Quote:
TheMorry wrote:
I think Sword Art online is bigger than any of their other (English dub) releases.

its was popular, but not season one. only the second season, specifically the mother's rosario arc became a big time english release. other than than, the series as a whole paled in comparison to the madoka magica phenomenon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
matt78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:55 am Reply with quote
I really don't understand Japan's reverse importation fears. Even if they can stop Japanese Otaku from importing from North America there is nothing that they can do to stop them from buying a region free player and importing from Australia and Europe. They should have fought to keep the blu ray regions the same as the DVD regions or given Japan a region for itself. All they are going to do now is slowly kill the North American market. I wonder if piracy is higher for Aniplex of America titles than it is for other North American titles.
Vannil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:42 am Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
I really don't understand Japan's reverse importation fears. Even if they can stop Japanese Otaku from importing from North America there is nothing that they can do to stop them from buying a region free player and importing from Australia and Europe. They should have fought to keep the blu ray regions the same as the DVD regions or given Japan a region for itself. All they are going to do now is slowly kill the North American market. I wonder if piracy is higher for Aniplex of America titles than it is for other North American titles.

Outside of titles like: SAO, Madoka, Kill la kill, Fate Stay Night/ Zero and maybe Gurren Laggan, most of their titles that they've released are pretty niche. AoA puts most of their dubs on Crunchyroll and/ or Netflix, exceptfor maybe l a few of their series. If piracy is high for their titles, it would be because no one wants to pay bucks for 4 episodes of a 1 cour series, a likedly subbed series (which really limits the audience) and some "goodies", when their competitors sell a whole cour for the same price both subbed and dubbed. all in all, who really knows.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:

Aniplex's actions have nothing to do with reverse importation fears. Their actions are all about fear. They want you to pay those 'arm and a leg' prices. If you fear that their products will go out of stock for years on end, you just might pay those 'selling your soul to the devil' prices. These other farmed out series will not be renewed, and will probably be out of stock for years as part of Aniplex policy to create a scarcity of their products.

When they are eventually revived, you will probably be sucked into a black hole to pay for their costs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3