• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: A Mountain of Manga Coming to the USA

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lebrel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:

@rizuchan
Do you buy DMI's eBooks from another retailer or directly from their online shops? I've managed with the right reading app on my tablet to display DMI's PDFs fine. Though their eBooks are still not as good quality as some put out by other publishers.

In my experience, DMP's PDFs are usually fine, but many of their Kindle/Nook releases were low-res and badly over-compressed, and small text was frequently unreadable. I've only bought PDFs from them recently, as I stopped buying their ebook editions fairly quickly because of that; maybe they have improved since.

I'm not holding out a lot of hope for these new guys; poor presentation of older titles with little appeal to the Western audience... I foresee them going the way of JManga et al. (And wasn't that eating competition one actually on JManga way back when?)
katscradle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

This is a sample from a book I have on hand. Calibre insisted on saving the page as a png but it is the native size and the artifacts are visually identical to the jpegs contained in the epub I downloaded. Most ebook manga is published in a resolution nearly 10x that for Kindle/epub, and those are usually half the size of the cbz versions.

On the bright side, the file sizes are so tiny I can keep a heck of a lot of bad yaoi on my tablet. Too bad most of it isn't worth reading once much less again. Laughing

DMI titles on Kindle were awful and some on Nook too. Think I had Kobo ones too. Worse if there was something wrong with the file apparently it was difficult for DMI to fix things with the third-party retailers. I even contacted DMI years ago telling them about the problems with some eBooks and suggesting how they might improve the editions.

I have a PDF of Butterfly of the Distant Day. The images are much larger. Though, the compression issues do affect older titles more than newer ones since DMI made some changes (I want to say maybe in the last year or two) because many people complained. Titles that get print releases too are also better in quality to those that do not. Ironically with the way they do reprints now though sometimes the physical books end up being worse quality.

Last PDF I got was a pretty big file size. I ended up getting a micro SD card to expand my tablet’s memory since comics take up lots of space. I tend to keep just my favourites on it and archive the rest on an external hard drive. Though being able to just delete a file of bad BL is wonderful instead of trying to find a print copy a new home. Embarassed

lys wrote:
Ugh, what?! I ordered v11 last year when someone here on the forum mentioned it was available from the Akadot website. 12 was to be the last, right? I guess I missed out on that one. That's a big ol' bummer Sad

DMP were very quiet about volume 12 for some reason. I would have thought they’d want to promote Itazura na Kiss since it was the last. I don’t think many people realized at all. I only noticed it first available on Akadot 5 months ago. You might try contacting DMP asking about it. Though, FYI apparently they’ve had more staff leave and have been super hard to communicate with lately. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2