• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 More Manga for Monster Girl Lovers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
No Guns Life certainly gets point for being...unique with the main protagonist's design. Anime hyper

Though the art-style is very different, he somehow reminds me of Assy McGee... >.<

And in a similarly questionable vein, "My Girlfriend is a T-Rex" brings to mind all those self-published "Dino-erotica" stories ihateyouamazon.com carries, like "Taken by the T-Rex." Smile
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing due to being humanoid mainly as well as the being in human form is why Rosario + Vampire wasn't mentioned?
3ngag3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
There is a fairly impressive series out there right now called 'Musuko ga Kawaikute Shikataganai Mazoku no Hahaoya'. It's the story of a demon/monster girl who is raising her child and freaking out every time he has his firsts (like walking, growing horns, fire breath, etc.). It's really wholesome and down to earth.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I would be remiss if I didn't mention Interview with Monster Girls as another option.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:52 am Reply with quote
lostbirdinatree wrote:
Gugure! Kokkuri-san has a kitsune and an alien, both creatures that made the main list, and it's very fun since it's a comedy (it also will make you crave cup noodles).

Seen the anime; loved it. Hilarious as hell. XD
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
I'm rather surprised that Rosario + Vampire hasn't been mentioned yet, since all of the girls were technically monster girls even though they could usually pass for human.

You could probably also argue a case for Princess Resurrection here, as they weren't all monster girls but the majority of them definitely were. My Monster Secret (aka [b]Actually, I Am. . .) could probably also qualify.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:09 am Reply with quote
If we count "monster girls" as including vampires and other demons, then Rosario + Vampire should also count.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:58 am Reply with quote
Oh, My Sweet Alien seems to be a series I've overlooked. Did not realise Yen had licensed that one. Gonna pick up the omnibus release for it.

I have the first 2 volumes of My Girlfriend is a T-Rex, and really enjoyed the story. Unsure how long the wait for a 3rd volume is going to be.

My Monster Girl's Too Cool For You is a series I hope eventually gets a print release in English. Unsure of what the chance of this happening is, but I'll keep hoping. It is a series I want to read for myself, being a fan of Servant x Service and Working.

Over time, my monster girl collecting has increased. I didn't think I'd end up getting many series. But, along with T-Rex, I also get Interviews with Monster Girls (love the manga as much as I do the anime) and My Monster Secret. Am also a big Chibi Vampire/Karen fan (own both anime and manga), along with some other series that may qualify in things like Inu x Boku SS.

Speaking of Inu x Boku SS, that also goes into the "monster boy" side of things too. Where I'd say things like Ancient Magus' Bride and Girl From the Other Side would fall into. Maybe In/Spectre falls into the category too, though our main male character doesn't seem to have physical characteristics, I believe he is actually part yokai..
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:05 am Reply with quote
I'm so happy to see Tokyo Godfathers made it to the top of last week's poll. That movie is so good! I gotta see about putting together a large group viewing some year.
Woody__alien

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I would be remiss if I didn't mention Interview with Monster Girls as another option.

Thank you! I wonder why it came and went mostly unnoticed; maybe it's because I'm a monster girl fan, but I found it to be very sweet and charming, cute without being saccharine and (mostly) realistic without being dark or depressing.
Maybe it's the overused school setting? The "bland" character designs (which I'm very fond of, sometimes less is more)? The fact someone thought it was yet another harem show (which it is not)? The fact someone thought it was a metaphor for people with handicaps (which probably is not)? I have no idea. Outside two mediocre episodes (6 & 7) it was pretty great overall in my book.

If I may suggest another option, there's the yuri manga Tokimeki Mononoke Jogakkou, about a school girl who finds herself for some reason in a school populated only by monster girls, and slowly falls in love with a nekomata while trying to go back home and not letting the others know she's a human.
Nothing revolutionary but a nice and funny story.
bones2039

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with those that mentioned My Monster Secret, Actually I Am, Interviews with Monster Girls, and My Girlfriend is aT-Rex. All solid monster girl series. Rosario Vampire is also great since it was monster girls before it was a thing.

Honestly, I really enjoy My Monster Secret the most of the series that were left off. Don't know why.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
I have the first 2 volumes of My Girlfriend is a T-Rex, and really enjoyed the story. Unsure how long the wait for a 3rd volume is going to be.

There is no wait. The series ended at volume 2. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Dorohedoro (haven't read it yet, but I do know the main protagonist spoiler[eventually ends up with a human head instead of his awesome reptile head anyway]).

Nope. This is Dorohedoro we're talking about. Things are never that simple. Laughing
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
I’ve been reading The Demon Who Became My Sister and I’ve been fairly enjoying it. I just wonder if it will get an anime at some point in the future. It’s a lewd one, but I like to believe it could happen.

especially considering that other LN series easily got one and have even more erogenous fanservice to boot. and in the current fanservice era of highschool dxd , shinmai mao no testament and shobitch, this series should easily have gotten one unless their fanservice pushes the boundary's to like queens blade , valkyrie drive and sin nanatsu no taizai levels.

also i'm more surprised that rosario + vampire didn't even get on this list considering that series was basically flooding with monster girls other than vampires. i mean sure its a harem series and all, but still.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Otakuteen18

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:46 am Reply with quote
Wait that manga The Demon Who Became My Sister that's a hentai manga so now it becoming a comes a romantic, ecchi, slife of life manga what the hell someone explain this?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3