• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:02 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Quote:
And what about the mysterious distraction detail Demiurge got?

Also yeah, funny that the scene right before he "calls" Demiurge also clearly shows that Entoma is wearing a mask :v I wonder if they got other complaints that her mouth wasn't moving when she talked and decided to throw that in, lol.

They're not making these episodes on a weekly basis, getting complaints about an episode one week and then changing up the episode the following week would be a huge amount of work. And Entoma eats snacks a lot on the LN, needs to keep her cravings down since she's not aloud to eat her favorite food usually heh.
rottencorrupt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Theron Martin -"Demiurge is probably right that Cocytus was not intended to win this battle; this is just a test, perhaps to see if the lizard men are tough enough in their unified alliance to be worth bringing into the Nazarick fold"

While you right about this being a test like Demiurge said I don't see how you jumped to the idea that Aniz wants to recruit the lizard men since there hasn't been anything said to even speculated that is a possibility. spoiler[Like Demiurge said the main reason was to make Cocytus more self aware of the flawed orders give him.]
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

It would be even more greatly appreciated if you kept spoilers involving any of the manga to a minimum, as in none. Since I know manga readers are fundamentally incapable of this, at least please label manga spoilers as being from the manga (as well as being past Vol. 6, if applicable), outside the spoiler tags.

Lulu was awesome. She's my favorite albino lizard woman ever!

Well my bad just saw your comment here and I've nitpicked if not ticked off Theron (sorry) far too much(truly sorry).

So can I be that guy?

If the manga is off limits does that mean I can direct quote from the LN,WN and the various Drama Cds and Blue Ray specials and other what nots?
and now for the capper,xaxaxa-
Well Actually Gina... Smile the manga is only just now adapting the last chapters of the LN's volume 5,so the anime adaption should.....spoiler[ surpass the manga.]
Honestly not read the manga yet,Maruyama is not writing it ...

Oh what about the Pure Pure Pleiades specials? ... that 8 bit dance routine,awesome right?
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
How about that? this Lizard men arc turned out to be far more fun that I ever expected (I was bored to the point of skimping it when read the LN) If the Men in the kingdom arc (aka my favorite arc so far) is as well directed as this has been, this season might end in a pretty good note.

regarding the outcome of this battle and Ainz motivation/scheme behind his ice-bug pokemon's test (I just don't know how to spell it) . let's not forget that there are 3 features that define Overlord as a series. 1) its main overarching theme is Ainz coming to terms with "might makes right". 2) there is a recurring running joke about Ainz being self-conscious of his leadership skills 3) it is sort of this franchise Shtick to have a different endearing POV per volume just to have Ainz come and resolve any conflict by rule of cool, to which I am totally fine with, actually

Last edited by MiloTheFirst on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
#844391 wrote:
Ep 3,

Animation wasn't the greatest but anime generally sucks at doing battles well so I don't have too many complaints on that end. Definitely a bit rushed but they did hit all the key scenes and I wouldn't want them to drag out this part of the arc anyway, since next week we get to finally get more screen time with the main crew. Not to mention the "chair" scene hehe.

Given how quickly this episode went, they might even wrap up most of this arc next episode.

Rororo's spoiler[ faithful,sacrificial charge was a bit truncated,and the lich fight in general was too short] but the season has only 13 episodes to adapt three volumes.

Yes, quite a lot to cover. I actually enjoyed the lizardman novel but I understand that it is quite a change and not for everyone. I appreciated the brief depiction of the one lizardman chief who sounded dumb and spoke in halting Japanese. The book mentions that he is actually an incredible genius, wearing a magical item with the unfortunate side effect of lowering the wearer's intelligence. The fact that he can cogitate enough to speak intelligently at all is because his intelligence is so high to start with.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

Yes, quite a lot to cover. I actually enjoyed the lizardman novel but I understand that it is quite a change and not for everyone.spoiler[ I appreciated the brief depiction of the one lizardman chief who sounded dumb and spoke in halting Japanese. The book mentions that he is actually an incredible genius, wearing a magical item with the unfortunate side effect of lowering the wearer's intelligence. The fact that he can cogitate enough to speak intelligently at all is because his intelligence is so high to start with].

Smile

As one who has also strayed and upset many with a slip of the keyboard,you may want to edit you comment with spoiler tags as for example I did with your quote.

And I enjoyed this arc as well.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer, to be fair he was only talking about how careful the director was in "show don't tell" regarding an unnamed character that's isn't relevant to the plot progression at all and doesn't ever even get mentioned again after this arc
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
If the manga is off limits does that mean I can direct quote from the LN,WN and the various Drama Cds and Blue Ray specials and other what nots?

This isn't rocket science. Manga=LN=WN=source materials. If it's not in the anime, I don't want to know about it (and I'm not the only one), so please put it behind spoiler tags, and mark what kind of spoiler it is. Some folks tag current anime plot points out of old habits, some tag pure speculation to be on the safe side, and some have only read the English releases, so it's not enough to just throw up a tag without saying what kind of spoiler it is (at least for the first spoiler in a post - I would assume additional tags are of the same kind).

Same with answering speculative questions with knowledge outside the anime. It really takes the fun out of trying to guess where things are going, when you know someone is waiting to pounce and tell you how oh so wrong you are, haha. It's like reading a book with someone who's read it standing over your shoulder and telling you to hurry up and turn the page. We anime-only folks would like the same pleasure of discovery you all had when you first read the source materials. Sometimes it's even done in good faith because people who know don't realize how much they give away by saying what they're not going to say. :/

So thanks in advance to those who tag! Smile

I want an entire anime about Lulu and Zaryusu. She's just too precious.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Well I hope the explanation for the battle is damn good next episode cause I really can't come up with anything that would justify this course of action.

1) Recruits the lizardman, that would be beyond stupid since he just got done killing a large number of there warriors. Maybe he can bring people back to life, but introducing resurrection is usually a bad idea in show and would make any future conflict almost devoid of stakes.

2) Train Cocyctus (or w/e), there's plenty of far better way to do this, like just raising two skeleton army and have them fight each others under his leadership (and have someone control the second army, train 2 for the price of one). And far smaller skeleton army would have been enough for skirmish (500 v 500 is about as useful as 5000 v 1500, if you really care about quantity v quality you can just have one army be made up of stronger skeleton).

3) Force the lizard man to band together (for w/e reason) again the reason will have to compete with the fact that a bunch of there warriors just died. It'll need to be a damn good reason. Plus this didn't actually require such a large army or even a real attack in the first place really.

I can come up with a few other idea (Ein wanted to test army warfare) but none of them are even remotely close to satisfying. I'm just left with the feeling that this will turn out to be a pseudo filler, where nothing really matters and it was just an excuse to have a big battle.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:37 am Reply with quote
let's first remember such low level undead are completely expendable, they are just mana produced mobs (in season one ainz produced way stronger undead with no seemed effort at all), so even if all this were an investment towards coquitus (did I get it right?) skill as a general, it would hardly be a sizable cost. it would also make sense if he just wanted to test the real level of adaptability and autonomy of former Yggdrasil NPCs. if the general orders the skeleton troop forward will they do just that or will they have a minimum of situational awareness and personal maneuverability? as the lizardmen commented in the latest episode, it seemed as if they had no chain of command (commanders, sub-commanders, platoon leaders, etc). the lizardmen might as well not be neither the test subject nor the objective but a material arbitrarily used in the experiment because it was close by
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:52 am Reply with quote
@meiam It seems to me that the attack was at least in part intended to unite the lizardmen and I think something on the level of the attack he made was necessary. It needed to be an actual attack big enough to force the lizardmen to unite if they wanted fend off the attack, and the numbers Ains put forward seemed appropriate, as even with the significant numerical disadvantage, the lizardmen never really felt the need to sent their elite unit until the elder Lich was deployed. And if the uniting experience of fighting off a common enemy was to be lasting, there had to be serious costs, which is to say some casualties would be needed. At the very least, they needed to fight hard side by side against long odds, and any smaller or less serious attack would not have to same effect or could have been dealt with by one of the more power lizardmen tribes by themselves. You wouldn’t want to kill too many of them, but it seems like it is very possible for the benefits to outweigh the costs, as a united lizard people is much more valuable than otherwise.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
This isn't rocket science. Manga=LN=WN=source materials. If it's not in the anime, I don't want to know about it (and I'm not the only one), so please put it behind spoiler tags, and mark what kind of spoiler it is.

I certainly understand your point and apologize if I ever violate it, but there are frequently cases here and elsewhere where something is obliquely referred to in the anime but never will be explained and almost surely never will appear in the anime. The case of the Razor Tail chief with the bone armor and speaking in broken sentences is an example, and I can think of quite a few others from all sorts of anime adapted from other materials. Even in such cases I concede you want a spoiler tag, but when something is a blatant reference or easter egg for something that there's simply not enough time to depict fully, you might still want to know about it eventually.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:15 am Reply with quote
^ In which case, you'll likely be asked for a specific spoiler by the person who wants to know. As long as you use tags and indicate the source of what they're hiding outside of said tags so people can make an informed decision to read it or not, it's all good. Smile
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:39 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
@meiam It seems to me that the attack was at least in part intended to unite the lizardmen and I think something on the level of the attack he made was necessary. It needed to be an actual attack big enough to force the lizardmen to unite if they wanted fend off the attack, and the numbers Ains put forward seemed appropriate, as even with the significant numerical disadvantage, the lizardmen never really felt the need to sent their elite unit until the elder Lich was deployed. And if the uniting experience of fighting off a common enemy was to be lasting, there had to be serious costs, which is to say some casualties would be needed. At the very least, they needed to fight hard side by side against long odds, and any smaller or less serious attack would not have to same effect or could have been dealt with by one of the more power lizardmen tribes by themselves. You wouldn’t want to kill too many of them, but it seems like it is very possible for the benefits to outweigh the costs, as a united lizard people is much more valuable than otherwise.

The lizard man united before the attack, the attack itself was irrelevant, they had no idea what the number were going to be. It's not like if the number of skeleton was small the lizard man would have just gone straight back to killing each others.

If you really want to be generous then the size only needed to be big enough to overwhelm one of the lizard man tribe, i.e. 1/5 of what it actually was.

Now this was a close battle so a large number of lizard man must have died, like over half of them, it's going to take decades to recover there numbers. They're essentially useless to Ains for quite a long time.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
We have no idea how many lizardmen died. We don't know the percentages versus their original numbers, either. Usually, a hard fought battle is what brings people together, and lizardman psychology probably dictates this as well. Considering the results of their last war, which DID NOT unite any of the tribes, this situation seemed engineered to *require* them to join together to have a shot at survival. To then make the battle less than that would've probably defeated the purpose.

Also, recall what was said about the last war and the reasons behind why they fought it: overpopulation and limited resources. One tribe actually turned cannibal to survive it. My suspicion is that it doesn't take as long as it would for, say, humans, to recover their numbers from being depleted.

At any rate, next week's episode should provide answers for us, and *then* we can debate on that information.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15