• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
your name. (movie)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:32 am Reply with quote
@Blood-

I think it is because it is an extremely fun movie to watch. I know I got swept up in it for the duration of the movie. It was only after the fact that I had questions and saw plot holes. I doubt most reviewers worry about the science in science fiction. I also suspect that a lot of ordinary live action movies would likewise fall apart if you questioned the plot to closely.
Arkthelad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:13 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Chiibi - I was referring more to the film's rapturous reception in Japan.

I can understand why it would be so well received in Japan given the recent history it is referencing. I'm more curious about the reception in the West, both among anime fandom and general film critics.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:10 am Reply with quote
Arkthelad wrote:
Blood- wrote:
@ Chiibi - I was referring more to the film's rapturous reception in Japan.

I can understand why it would be so well received in Japan given the recent history it is referencing. I'm more curious about the reception in the West, both among anime fandom and general film critics.

But I think the wild, runaway critical and financial success of the film in Japan had a spill-over effect in the rest of the world. If it had made only a moderate splash there, I don't think it would have made the kind of waves it did in other places.

@ Alan45 - you don't have to sell me on the merits of the movie - I liked it. I'll buy a copy for sure (like I do for all Shinkai titles). It's just that, let's say I had been the first person to see the film before it was released and was asked, "Do you think this will be one of the most successful Japanese animated films of all time?" I probably would have said something like, "I doubt it."
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:58 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Quote:
It's just that, let's say I had been the first person to see the film before it was released and was asked, "Do you think this will be one of the most successful Japanese animated films of all time?" I probably would have said something like, "I doubt it."

I would have said No! shows I like are seldom popular (and I seldom like popular shows). That is why I'm so adamant that people should have faith in their own taste.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
Lol I can't speak much for his other films; I only saw A Place Promised but I liked THIS way way better than that one.

I hear Garden of Words is good....but I've also heard Your Name is the only Shinkai film with a happy ending so seeing the others discourages me a little. xD

*hates tragic endings*
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi

That happy ending takes place in the last seconds of the show, after the credits. Almost like he hated to do it. A simple edit would remove it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
When someone's work is ALWAYS like that, it makes you wonder about his personal life. xD

Did a girl break his spirit for eternity or what?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2