• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: DARLING in the FRANXX

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentinel_Wraith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
On this, I believe Mojave is correct in saying that Hiro licking Zero Two’s blood when they were kids is what caused Hiro to only be able to pilot with Zero Two and no one else. Ingesting humanoid klaxosaur seems both unambiguous and only applicable to Hiro.
Oh derp. That's what I get for not reading.

I guess it also explains how his blue cancer was healed too. It didn't cross my mind since the piloting of a Franxx is a very unsubtle metaphor for sex but... licking knees? What the hell does that have to do with sex? Once again, it's amazing how this anime is extremely blatant with its metaphors but then has nothing to say about any of its supposed themes.

I also love how it's taken 14 episodes to go nowhere, no major plot yet and no antagonist. Everything is back to square 1.

First, his "blue cancer" might not have been really healed. We already see that his "saurification" is continuing regardless and that at least on a chemistry level, Hiro is no longer human. He likely suppressed it due to his accidental immunization to her blood.

As for the knees, it has nothing to do with innuendo but rather the story he was reading to Zero-Two.

In episode 13 we get the story of the Beast and the Prince. In said story, the Beast (Princess) sacrifices her social standing to be with the one she loves, sucks snake venom from his knee, and is immediately proposed to by said prince.

In episode 13, Hiro sacrifices his special privileges as a "teen" number to break Eo-Tu out of her prison. When she's injured, he licks her knee in an effort to heal her "like the animals he read about". What does she immediately do after? She proposes to him. Sound familiar?

It's a mirror of the storybook that we get with Hiro in the role of the Princess and Zero-Two in the roll of the Prince. The symbology is very rich in the later episodes, such as when Hiro literally and figuratively uses a light fixture to smash the window and bring light into Zero-Two's world.

As for the plot, there's plenty of indications of a Rebellion arc and a fight against the "Nines", who have been set up as the primary antagonists alongside PAPA and APE. We also have blantant indications that Hiro is going to sacrifice his humanity to become the same kind of being as Zero-Two instead of having her become human. As Nearly On Red noted, the Beast and the Prince can never be together, but what about two beasts?
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Sentinel_Wraith wrote:
In episode 13, Hiro sacrifices his special privileges as a "teen" number to break Eo-Tu out of her prison. When she's injured, he licks her knee in an effort to heal her "like the animals he read about". What does she immediately do after? She proposes to him. Sound familiar?

It's a mirror of the storybook that we get with Hiro in the role of the Princess and Zero-Two in the roll of the Prince. The symbology is very rich in the later episodes, such as when Hiro literally and figuratively uses a light fixture to smash the window and bring light into Zero-Two's world.
I dunno about you, but I think symbolism really loses its allegorical power and impact when the characters are literally, physically holding the symbol in their hands while they reenact it, as the show goes "see? did you get it? YOU GOT IT, RIGHT?"

It's very forced, blatant and I would argue extremely amateurish.
Sentinel_Wraith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:34 am Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Sentinel_Wraith wrote:

I dunno about you, but I think symbolism really loses its allegorical power and impact when the characters are literally, physically holding the symbol in their hands while they reenact it, as the show goes "see? did you get it? YOU GOT IT, RIGHT?"

It's very forced, blatant and I would argue extremely amateurish.

Well, then what would you have them do? I'm not going to underestimate the ability of "obvious" things like this being missed by the majority of the general viewership.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Sentinel_Wraith wrote:
Well, then what would you have them do? I'm not going to underestimate the ability of "obvious" things like this being missed by the majority of the general viewership.
Narnia is a series of children's books and even then Aslan doesn't literally carry a freaking Bible in his paws. This is supposed to be a late-night anime aimed at adults.

Things being dumb down to that level of patency is truly indicative of how flimsy and poorly-thought out the story is. For some reason people loved episode 13, but the way it tried so hard to bombard the audience with the "see? get it? it's just like the picture book!" message was so shameless and artificial.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:07 pm Reply with quote
But I don't think "See viewer, it's just like the picture book" was the point. The point was this book informed and shaped Zero Two's whole perception of the world. To her it's just like the picture book, and she was fascinated and comforted by it, yet terrified by its predictions, which she believes will come true. It drives her to become human before it does come true, but her belief in it may well precipitate that very outcome.

It's similar to how "The Monster Without a Name" was a huge influence on Johan's "I am you and you are me" obsession in Monster (Help me! The monster inside me has grown this big!). The book wasn't telling the viewer what was going on, it was the reason a lot of it was going on because of its effect on the characters.

Compare how the Red and Blue Oni story was used in Re: Zero. Rem and Ram's story had already happened, so hearing the tale didn't much alter their behavior or outlook. It was mostly symbolism for the viewer (cool, these girls are just like the fairy tale), though it wasn't quite as heavy-handed as it could have been.
mariolin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:22 am Reply with quote
It seems that episode 14 has been a massive let down for me because of the way that Ichigo stops Hiro from going after Zero Two I mean they are friends but don't let a girl that is as far as a table stop you from going after the girl you like.
Let's be honest guys I think we all had cancer when we saw Ichigo stopping Hiro
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
Now I'd guess there are two groups of humans in a war, ones underground making klaxxosaurs and those above ground...Hmmm...H.G. Wells anyone?

Also, #838774 good to know that an actual writer sees how poor the writing is. I think it's been obvious for a long time now but some here seem to have fully suspended their disbelief and see no problems with the story as presented. To them, all the drama makes sense and is reasonable and all the Bitchigo nonsense means they are INTO IT. Shocked
Scherzo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
So this was a rather cathartic episode so I kiiinda get why they cockblocked us in the last episode, but still feel it could've been handled more gracefully. On a whole though I'm glad we're FINALLY done kicking the ball down the road on the 02 x Hiro thing, so now things can finally develop.

Also anyone notice that Alpha-9 is a Male Pistil? I'm still... concerned about how this show plans to handle LGBT+ stuff, but at the same time I'm curious as well.

Also I was so sure there was going to be a reveal that 02 has Red Skin again, since Strelizia is now Red. Maybe next episode.

Last edited by Scherzo on Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Scherzo wrote:
Also anyone notice that Alpha-9 is a Male Stamen? I'm still... concerned about how this show plans to handle LGBT+ stuff, but at the same time I'm curious as well.

I think you mean pistil, but yeah. Unless things aren't as they seem, he wasn't the only one among the Nines either. An interesting development, I'd say.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Let's see ANN give Episode 15 a B-.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
OH BOY HERE WE GO! THE THIRD MOST CLICHED TROPE IN MECHA ANIME!

THE [insert enemy name here] ARE HUMAN TOO!!!

Hikaru Suzuhara wrote:
Huge-ass post.
Thank you for this post. 02 has been very toxic and disparaging in her treatment of everyone, but especially Hiro (who seemingly loves it). This by itself would not be an issue, as some characters maybe ARE meant to be unlikable and challenge your notions. However, the narrative makes excuses for her via the old and dumb cliche of "this character had a hard life so please feel sorry for him even as he continues to commit atrocities!" Recently, Magus Bride tried to do that with Kartaphilus and of course it fell flat on its face. It didn't work then, and it certainly doesn't work now. She even killed a dozen more stamens oh but it was offscreen so who cares, right? The problem is exacerbated by how nauseatingly (and conveniently) forgiving Hiro is. 02 could kill Goro in cold blood and Hiro would still find a way to immediately forgive her. So now, they meet again and because she was crying and said two lines her past behavior is hand-waved away. Water under the bridge. This is why the hate towards Ichigo after episode 14 was so unwarranted. It's absolutely ridiculous how someone could receive so much vitriol for essentially wanting to put an end to an abusive and dysfunctional relationship.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I mean, I think I get what they were trying to do now with the previous episode; sort of represent the anxiety and impatience that comes from making an initial emotional breakthrough with someone, that can REALLY backfire if things go south. I think giving some space between them recognizing their past together and being able to reconcile it, in a way, sort of fits the reality of how these sorts of things happen; it's not as easy as recognizing common empathy and then just being able to act on it.

At anyrate, as schmaltzy as 02 and Hiro's confessions to each other were, they did feel 'right' to me. I also liked that Ichigo was able to work some Catharsis out herself, with her fight with 02.
Mojave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
There were a lot of good things in the episode, but I couldn't help but feel that the reconciliation between Hiro and 002 didn't really go far enough. Hiro certainly did enough, and acted quite mature, whether it was informing 002 that he was going to be touching her horns before he did it or telling her that they had a bunch of things they needed to openly talk through with each other. The problem is, 002 still has quite a bit she needs to make up to Hiro.

She did treat his life as disposable and act in physically harmful ways towards him, and that can't simply be handwaved away with Hiro's "You called me fodder, I called you a monster, so we're even" line. It feels a lot like that unfortunate trope where a couple has some big fight/misunderstanding, and it's resolved by the male partner taking all the blame even though the female partner is the one mainly in the wrong. So hopefully this isn't the end of their reconciliation, and we see 002 having to actually actively do more on her part in future episodes.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Some people forget a few things when watching this show which keeps them from enjoying it:

1. The viewer knows more than the characters.
2. They're all still kids who didn't have a normal upbringing at all, especially Zero Two.
3. Zero Two isn't human.
4. They're flawed characters, as real people tend to be. Instead of sending death threats to the creators of the show, give the characters time to overcome them and develop, as they did in Episode 15 (But also chill out you crazy, crazy people).
5. We're barely past the middle-point of the story.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
This was a great episode which had several cool fights, some new information to chew on, and it even tied up the romance drama from the previous episode. Ichigo literally butts heads with Zero Two but they work out their differences which ends with Hiro and Zero Two declaring their love for each other. The whole reunion scene between them was well done and they even explained how Zero Two was able to keep most of her memories. Also we learn that the Klaxosaurs aren't as alien as they appear though it is just ambiguous enough that it is hard to tell if they are evolved humans. At this point the Klaxosaurs are clearly the other side in a war and it looks like this show might be a bit similar to what happened in Blue Submarine No. 6.

Scherzo wrote:
Also anyone notice that Alpha-9 is a Male Pistil? I'm still... concerned about how this show plans to handle LGBT+ stuff, but at the same time I'm curious as well.
My guess is that the Nines can be either pistil or stamen which is why all of them were wearing the same red uniform.

Last edited by Chrono1000 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 124