• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Today's Menu for the Emiya Family

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a huge Fate fanboy, but I thought this episode was much better than episode 3. I don't give a hoot if the characters are obscure or underused ones.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Hasn't this kind of Shinji/Sakura dynamic been a thing since Carnival Phantasm, or am i forgetting about something???
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Hasn't this kind of Shinji/Sakura dynamic been a thing since Carnival Phantasm, or am i forgetting about something???

Happy fluffy spinoffs have always tended to make light of their situation, whether that's joking at Sakura's soap opera life, having him terrified of her not-so-hidden psychopathy or just as kind of a dick as opposed to his full on crazy power trip self in FSN.

The only thing that changes is going from hating Shinji to ironically liking him to unironically liking him.
michizure

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Let us not forget that Carnival Phantasm -- that happy-go-lucky spin on the series -- is prominently based in a cafe named after Heinrich Himmler's racist occult research project. This is a franchise that likes to wallow in moral ambiguity -- the darker, the better.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For the sake of my own sanity, I'll just pretend that Sakura slipped poison into his dish, and that that's why Sakura and Medusa were watching him eat with such anticipation. Hopefully, he won't appear again, so I can just quietly assume that he died without anybody noticing or caring.
Lol what forced outrage. This a happy slice of life where everyone gets along, if you hadn't noticed by now. Rider kills Shiro in a few bad endings. Do you have any idea of the unimaginably cruel things Illya does to him in other bad ends? That doesn't matter here, and neither do Shinji's crimes.
Shinji Paradox

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Quote:
For the sake of my own sanity, I'll just pretend that Sakura slipped poison into his dish, and that that's why Sakura and Medusa were watching him eat with such anticipation. Hopefully, he won't appear again, so I can just quietly assume that he died without anybody noticing or caring.
Lol what forced outrage. This a happy slice of life where everyone gets along, if you hadn't noticed by now. Rider kills Shiro in a few bad endings. Do you have any idea of the unimaginably cruel things Illya does to him in other bad ends? That doesn't matter here, and neither do Shinji's crimes.

Exactly, this review seems more personal than anything else. This is anyway a "what happen if?" series. This was everything I wanted it to be; short, sweet and appetizing. Relax.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Shinji Paradox wrote:
This is anyway a "what happen if?" series.

FS/N has been from day one a multiverse offering, where multiple possibilities are shown, so just the same as Okabe Rintarou from Steins Gate can't bring himself to hate Kiryuu Moeka even though he has personally seen her do terrible things, we can't hate a characters for atrocities he did not (and it is clear in this iteration will not) commit. But hey, we can hate him in the FS/N Heaven's Feel movie.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah I definitely this episode was weaker than the ones before it and that's definitely a shame since sakura is my favourite 'heroine' of the main 3.
Heres to hoping for a better Sakura dedicated episode before its runtime expires.

Quote:

Amen to that. I just hope she used a very slow acting one that really makes him suffer.

The only version of 'shinji' that's even remotely likeable is fate extra's version since for one he's not a rapist but still incredibly annoying (forgivable since he's actually spoiler[only 8 years old]

Shinji Paradox wrote:
Chrysostomus wrote:
Quote:

Exactly, this review seems more personal than anything else. This is anyway a "what happen if?" series. This was everything I wanted it to be; short, sweet and appetizing. Relax.

Those were all, as you've mentioned bad endings.
Canonically(all 3 routes) "Shinji is at best Sakura's abuser and at worst her rapist"
I totally get what you guys mean about this being a spinoff and all that dark stuff most likely never happened but it's not that easy to just forgive and forget that kind of crap and really, should it be? If there was some sort of repentance or atonement from the turd I might change my view but for obvious reasons that likely won't happen.

mangamuscle wrote:
FS/N has been from day one a multiverse offering, where multiple possibilities are shown, so just the same as Okabe Rintarou from Steins Gate can't bring himself to hate Kiryuu Moeka even though he has personally seen her do terrible things, we can't hate a characters for atrocities he did not (and it is clear in this iteration will not) commit. But hey, we can hate him in the FS/N Heaven's Feel movie.

Thats true but it certainly wasn't easy for him to accept that and most importantly spoiler[shining finger was being meticulously manipulated by Mr Braun to the point where she could not live without F.B.'s contact. THAT was the real reason he could begin to forgive her by seeing that she was also a victim]

Anyway if shiji isn't killed off in this episode here's to hoping he gets abducted by Kirei to test his super spicy mapu tofu until it kills him (which actually shouldn't take too long).
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:03 am Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Quote:

which is the reason why there are ZERO mentions of the bad endings for the visuals novels whether its FSN or hollow ataraxia!

MORE IMPORTANTLY, at least the two FSN anime series didn't so a school days and use one of those bad endings! that would have literately have every type moon junkie up in arms to the point that you would be hearing news about the anime staff for the two FSN anime series getting death threats and the franchise as a whole wouldnt have been as popular overseas!

Quote:

NOT HAPPENING!

considering that he's a main canon character, he will be back. while it will be brief cameos, he'll still be there. after all, its as you said! he's ten times different from the shinji mato of the FSN visual novels! sure he's still an unlikable prick, but at least he NOT doing the exact same thing as his counterpart which would completely contradict the whole series, which is to have little to none of the dark elements of its sister series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
Bad endings are canonical as well. The Type-Moon franchise is predicated on the premise of multiple parallel universes. That means Shiro dies (mostly horribly) in 38 bad endings (he survives in other two bad ends). He survives the Grail War in a grand total of... 5 endings. So, he has an extremely low survival probability, and a big chunk of his deaths are caused precisely by Illya, Rider and Sakura herself spoiler[(as the Shadow)]. Basically, these characters that we all know and love are statistically murderers more times than they aren't. spoiler[(Sakura herself is technically a mass murderer.)]

How ridiculous would someone look if they complained that Shiro is so chummy with his would-be murderers in an alternate universe slice of life about cooking?
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Calsolum wrote:
Bad endings are canonical as well. The Type-Moon franchise is predicated on the premise of multiple parallel universes. That means Shiro dies (mostly horribly) in 38 bad endings (he survives in other two bad ends). He survives the Grail War in a grand total of... 5 endings. So, he has an extremely low survival probability, and a big chunk of his deaths are caused precisely by Illya, Rider and Sakura herself spoiler[(as the Shadow)]. Basically, these characters that we all know and love are statistically murderers more times than they aren't. spoiler[(Sakura herself is technically a mass murderer.)]

How ridiculous would someone look if they complained that Shiro is so chummy with his would-be murderers in an alternate universe slice of life about cooking?

I apologize if I wasn't clear, but I do fully understand and acknowledge that this Shinji is a totally different one from the other ones.
What I'm getting at is that the stigmata associated with his very presence is difficult to erase, and that's because type moon made him a very horrible person in the 'main' storylines.

Imagine if there was another world where Hitler is actually a hero because instead of murdering innocent people in concentration camps he was actually murdering evil shapeshifting aliens who were unable to disguise themselves as 'Aryans'. It would take a lot of time and effort to change the reader's predisposition of Hitler because in everyone's mind he's a tyrannical, racist, mass murderer. Shinji in my eyes is just too well associated with his other atrocious acts for me to just forget it without more context.

I'm not saying it's not doable, it certainly is if fate/extra is any indication(spoiler[this iteration is just heartbreaking especially last encore's version]) but this Shinji just doesn't have enough character to distinguish himself. At least not yet, but given the runtime of this series and the number of characters, it's unlikely that he'll ever be able to.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:52 am Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Calsolum wrote:

38? really!? i only got up to like 30, and that's including the ones from hollow ataraxia as well as FSN's three routes!

at least it wasn't as bad as say the higurashi visual novels or the ones from the school days/shiny days/cross days/summer days in which the latter's MC rightfully deserved those endings since the MC is such a prick!

and is why despite the complains on the fate route and hollow ataraxia having shiro basically a harem MC, rather him than the other guy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Seif

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:24 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for the FMA chibi spin off where Nina helps out Poor Daddy Tucker because he's always stressed from work. Or that fun Kill Bill SoL AU where Beatrix tries to cheer up grumpy Mr. Buck at the hospital.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Man, the latest episode's scenario was straight out of Fate/hollow ataraxia.
All it really still needed was for Gil to show up to break up the volleyball match after it got too rowdy instead of it just fading to black without actually explaining how that situation was brought to a close.

[For those not steeped enough in esoteric Fate lore to know already, Gilgamesh is actually the owner of that indoor swimming pool resort, by the way.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
Man, the latest episode's scenario was straight out of Fate/hollow ataraxia.
All it really still needed was for Gil to show up to break up the volleyball match after it got too rowdy instead of it just fading to black without actually explaining how that situation was brought to a close.

[For those not steeped enough in esoteric Fate lore to know already, Gilgamesh is actually the owner of that indoor swimming pool resort, by the way.]

HARDLY!!!

it felt more like the fate/avalon route than coming straight out of fate/hollow ataraxia! there was no way gil was going to show up considering he's even more disliked than shinji or his creepy ass grandfather! it would have been more intriguing if it was kotomine that showed up instead or even irisviel. and speaking of which.......

Quote:
Due to his presence in both the OP and ED, we've known that Kiritsugu was coming for a while. It was sure to be in the past-tense, since he died prior to Fate/stay night, and he's generally shown in flashback with younger versions of Shirou and Taiga.

i think you forgot something. there is fate/kaleid prisma illya in which both kiritsugu and irisviel are VERY MUCH ALIVE!! the only similarities between the two is the same depressed face. but in the case for prisma illya's kiritsugu, its more like fear of not pissing off his wife!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4