• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tales of Zestiria the X Season 1 Limited Edition BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Important question, that will likely determine if I buy this or not: Are the Berseria episodes the theatrical or broadcast versions?
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:27 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
This anime, good as it is at doing a better job of moving the plot along, still won't change my mind about awful the game was.

well i liked the game and to be frank , its the anime series that is the primary reason why i even got the game in the first place. did the game had flaws that seriously left something to be desired? sure! but both versions are good. though if you speak to the fans of the game, they have pretty much dismissed the anime series as non canon since there are a lot of changes in the series that are very different from the game.

Quote:
-Berseria episodes throw off the pacing

that i can agree with 100%! the one type of adaptation i really cant stand whether its games like these or some ero games/ visual novels is when they made the whole series into a glorified ad promo to purchase the source materials. its why i tend to always keep my guard around anime series that are adapted from light novels which have a really nasty habit of ending in a way that it forces you to purchase the source materials. hence the phrase use by some ANN reviewers, "Read the books, kids!"

it was pretty clear that the berseria eps were nothing more that promo eps to get viewers to buy the game. they should have instead had them as OVA prequels instead if that was the goal! personally if i were them i would have eps where it flipped between the events of zestiria & berseria which would justify the X in its title since it would mean that season one would swap between the events and the second cour would have some surviving members of berseria have an influence. that would have been much better than having these two eps as glorified ad promo or spoiler[ have velvet make a brief cameo appearance to sorey in S2 or have the hint that one of her descendants became the next Shepherd in the last ep of season 2!]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
As a long time fan of the "Tales of" series, the actual plot and story were never the real draw of the games. Heck, I don't think I've been emotionally-moved by a "Tales of" game since Symphonia. It's always been about the character interactions and party-chemistry for me, and the only game from the franchise that has failed that for me was Xillia.

Zesteria was a nice come-back for me after I was bored by Xilia, and it has good party chemistry. Even though I wished that more characters were involved with one another (I would kill to see Dezel and Zaveid interact more) and yes, I am one of those fans who were disappointed with how the game treated Alisha (even though I wasn't salty enough to give the game a bad rating haha.)

So honestly the anime expanded more on some things I enjoyed about the game, I love exploring on character's backstories and/or motivations (something I don't think the Tales franchise has done well with since Abyss), and the anime provided that for me with Alisha and Rose. Especially Alisha, I was so happy seeing her be more involved! I also liked the ending more, since it seemed more hopeful. And I get more Dezel and Zaveid!

The biggest things that bother me are the Berseria episodes and spoiler[that at the last minute of Part Two they just kill of Dezel.] I agree that the Berseria episodes throw off the flow, it felt less like they were trying to provide a proper explanation for Zesteria's plot and more like they were advertising the actual game.

And the spoiler spoiler[I really thought they'd let Dezel survive. The way they wrote his death made it seem like the writers forgot he was supposed to be dead and just threw it in so they'd stay faithful to the game in some way.] I'm biased though because he is my favorite.

I don't think I'll be buying the anime, but overall it's a fine retelling of the game's story and it offers a lot more side-material on certain characters that the game sadly didn't touch on.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
well i liked the game and to be frank , its the anime series that is the primary reason why i even got the game in the first place. did the game had flaws that seriously left something to be desired? sure! but both versions are good. though if you speak to the fans of the game, they have pretty much dismissed the anime series as non canon since there are a lot of changes in the series that are very different from the game.

As I stated, the game was awful for me. It was a struggle to get through and, collectively, the whole thing is one giant mess of gameplay features and plot contrivances that was hastily cobbled together in order to push out a new Tales title. It's great you enjoyed it and I'm not saying anything bad about anyone who did, but it's not a well-crafted title in the least, in my opinion.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
So, I bought this, and apparently Dawn of the Shepherd is on here as well. But when I try to play it in English, it ONLY shows up in Japanese. I know there's an English dubbed version of the OVA around, and I thought it'd be included on here. Is the English version of the OVA on FUNimation's series box set, or is it just exclusive to the blu-ray bundled with the collector's edition of the game?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2