• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord III

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:21 am Reply with quote
Upon looking back I think I can see where the confusion occurred:

partially: I think it a stretch to call Ainz a villain. He has never as I recall actually killed an innocent.

meiam: You mean aside from the people who lived in the village that got killed when he did his pointless test? Or the lizard man that got killed when he did his pointless war?

Me: No villager got killed and the war with the Lizardmen wasn't pointless.

At this point I am Not arguing the villainy of Ainz, I am challenging meiam's examples as Valid Evidence of Ainz's killing innocents.

meiam countered with a line of dialogue that was never supported and trying to turn the lizardmen into innocent tribal victims.

From there it devolved to me backing my statement with evidence from the anime and RL military knowledge.

So when MiloTheFirst jumps in and mentions me directly, he is talking about the villainy part, where as I am still challenging an accurate assessment of the events in the town of Carne and the war with the Lizardmen and their usage as evidence of Ainz killing an innocent.

To be clear, I am Not saying that Ainz is or is not a villain.

What I am questioning is based upon what was shown or talked about in the anime, what Innocent did Ainz kill or allow to be killed in the staged attack on Carne Village? Second, that the war with the lizardmen was not pointless, and that no Innocents were killed by Ainz there as well.

Anyone can still call Ainz a villain, but using false information to support or even refute that position may be challenged
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:48 am Reply with quote
Killing someone "with a point" isn't the same thing as them not being innocent.

More to the point, though -- the broader conversation is *not* about whether Ainz is a villain. That does not matter. The problem is that the *show* deals with very few actual conflicts/obstacles, and when it does, they're never relevant to Ainz, despite that the show is obsessed with him.
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:10 am Reply with quote
I can see that.
Its probably why I don't care about Ainz as much as I do the other characters who do experience conflicts/obstacles.

After the first season my favorite parts that have Ainz in it he is playing a more supportive role to the other characters.
Or it could be that after the first season, his appearances have been fewer and he only shows up as a supportive character because the story keeps shifting to everyone else.
Hopefully all this world building and secondary character development will lead to a more entertaining outcome.
tianchris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:21 am Reply with quote
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:

1) When was their loyalty ever in question? Everyone at Nazarick is literally programmed to treat Ainz as a god. The only time that was ever challenged was when one of them was brainwashed by a mega rare item and even then she was only a challenge because Ainz wanted to fight her 1-on-1. Still, that was one of the better parts of the series since it gave some conflict, but it is never brought up again after that.

2) Sebas developing some conscience of his own is the best part of the show so far. Amazing, the show actually gets good when it isn't about the sociopath with no conflict and instead focuses on how other characters might react to this guy, just like we have been saying all along. Shocking!!!

3) Again, the notion that there might be people as strong or stronger than Ainz out there or that they could use world-items against him never goes anywhere after season 1. It doesn't register as a legitimate threat and it isn't treated as a conflict. And it certainly isn't the motivation for any of Ainz's foul deeds.

4) The whole point of the "you do what you have to in times of war" thing, is that people are expected to be in danger in a warzone and thus it is understandable that they might do unsavory things to save themselves or their allies. That excuse doesn't fly when you are powerful enough that no one poses any threat to you. And I doubt anyone really cares about the theocracy guys who were war-criminals themselves, but what Ainz did to Foresight and many others is clearly an abuse of power. You don't get a free pass just because it is technically a war.

5) Ainz was the one who started the war against the lizardmen, even though he knew they posed no threat and stood no chance of winning. Don't even [expletive] try to defend that one.

point number 2 is kinda answer point number 1. If an NPC could develop its own conscience what would keep them to being loyal? About point number 3 isn't the notion that there's stronger being than him is usually what motivates his deeds? Shalltear rebellion for one, Sebas suspected treason, and even in season one he prepared a lot of countermeasure when he track Clementine. As I said Ainz is cautious person bordering to paranoid so you might want to try to understand how such a person will react. Try to put such person perspective into yours try to empathize. And why would you say no one could posses a threat against him if you realize that his minion is at least comparable or even stronger than him is what makes point number 4 confusing to me. And if you are talking about foresight don't you think you overestimate Ainz too much he is not a god you know, he doesn't know about their motive other than that they invade nazarick for money. So in Ainz perspective they are just some greedy workers that don't deserve any mercy. Ofc the audience know that it's not right but how would Ainz know that. And he did ask for their motive. As point number 5 as i said he is a normal person not a hero nor a villain who were transported to another world with very different moral than his original world surround by monsters who hates human do you really believe there won't be any influence on him when his emotion is already restrict by the system. Do you really think that a stronger nation declaring war to a weaker nation that has no chance to win against them something that unusual? Try to learn earth war history and you'll see a lot of massacre. And that's why i said he is not a hero nor a villain just a human being. He sees an opportunity to strengthen his force and he took it as simple as that.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
tianchris wrote:

point number 2 is kinda answer point number 1. If an NPC could develop its own conscience what would keep them to being loyal?

The fact that their loyalty is so deeply ingrained on their very being that Sebas didn't hesitate for a second to kill the girl he was fond of as soon as Ainz ordered him to. It is never a conflict for Ainz. Hell, it isn't even a conflict for Sebas because the girl seems surprisingly ok with the idea that her savior would kill her in a heartbeat as soon as helping her became inconvenient.

Quote:
About point number 3 isn't the notion that there's stronger being than him is usually what motivates his deeds? Shalltear rebellion for one, Sebas suspected treason, and even in season one he prepared a lot of countermeasure when he track Clementine. As I said Ainz is cautious person bordering to paranoid so you might want to try to understand how such a person will react. Try to put such person perspective into yours try to empathize.

Except that is literally never brought up. We never see Ainz being paranoid, cautious sure, but never a hint of fear or anxiety. It is never a conflict for him, just another reason why he is so ridiculously invincible. Why would I empathize with him when he has zero reason to be paranoid and every reason to think that he is the single safest and most well-guarded, unkillable thing on the planet?

Quote:
And why would you say no one could posses a threat against him if you realize that his minion is at least comparable or even stronger than him is what makes point number 4 confusing to me.

Because...they...are...his...minions. They are on his side and he controls them. You can argue that technically they might be able to turn against him but their entire existence is based around obeying his every whim. We have already seen that in a conflict between their interests and Ainz's, they will obey Ainz no question. This is why the idea that they pose any kind of threat to him is asinine. And if Ainz not acting evil enough could make them turn against him, then that needs to be the conflict, but it isn't, because he is quite happy to oblige their every sadistic impulse and refers to them as precious friends. He never once hints that he is paranoid about them or allows them to be evil to keep them loyal. It isn't a conflict to him. And the point wasn't even about his minions, it was about your comment that it was "war" to Ainz but every "war" he has fought has been against being he knows doesn't stand a chance against him.

Quote:
And if you are talking about foresight don't you think you overestimate Ainz too much he is not a god you know, he doesn't know about their motive other than that they invade nazarick for money. So in Ainz perspective they are just some greedy workers that don't deserve any mercy.Ofc the audience know that it's not right but how would Ainz know that. And he did ask for their motive.

Putting aside for a moment that he knew luring people to Nazarick was a plan, it would be laughably easy for him to just find out what their motivations were if he wanted to. And even if it wasn't, who cares? A thief who breaks in and steals things does not deserve to die, much less be tortured in ways worse than death, and the fact that Ainz's "perspective" says otherwise is what makes him an evil piece of shit. Hell, Ainz doesn't even care about thieves, what really sets him off is the fact that people he didn't invite "sullied" the place he built with his friends, even though said friends have long since moved on and he is the only one who still cares about a glorified clubhouse, which is both evil and pathetically immature. That could be another opportunity for interesting stories but it doesn't go that way because there is no one to call Ainz on his immaturity and absolute evil. It isn't a conflict for him.

Quote:
As point number 5 as i said he is a normal person not a hero nor a villain who were transported to another world with very different moral than his original world surround by monsters who hates human do you really believe there won't be any influence on him when his emotion is already restrict by the system.

No, I know that the rules of his transfer has made it so that he can't feel emotions like he used to. I also know that it doesn't matter because he still knows what is right or wrong from his time as a human and is perfectly capable of choosing to not do evil things. The fact that he doesn't have a conscience to stop him any more doesn't make him worthy of sympathy, it is the reason he is an evil git. Once again, this could be a perfect opportunity for conflict if the fact that he has been "forced" into being evil bothered him in any way, but it doesn't, which means it isn't a conflict for him. The whole "he feels no empathy any more, oh poor widdle overlord" routine is also BS because he absolutely can feel emotion. He often says how fond he is of the residents of Nazarick and he flies into a goddamn rage just because people touch his friends' old junk. His "lack of empathy" is never treated as anything other than an excuse for him to not be bothered by any of the evil shit he pulls.

Quote:
Do you really think that a stronger nation declaring war to a weaker nation that has no chance to win against them something that unusual? Try to learn earth war history and you'll see a lot of massacre. And that's why i said he is not a hero nor a villain just a human being. He sees an opportunity to strengthen his force and he took it as simple as that.

Unusual? No. Wrong as fudge? Hell yeah. See, this is what people who pull the "it's a different world with different rules" crap doesn't get: The only reason their world is "like that" is because it is full of people with far too much power and far too little conscience to not abuse it. It doesn't make it "ok" to go around killing sentient people as you please as if the fact that it happens often was an invitation to do it more. Ainz has even less excuse than most for this because as we have already established, nothing in this world is a threat to him. The possibility of there being someone out there with items that can challenge him is brought up once and then never again. He doesn't need to strengthen his forces so the fact that he "took this opportunity" to do so is completely unjustified.

I do know military history, and there are indeed a lot of massacres in it, which is why I know that there is no point in simply pointing them out as if there wasn't a moral component to most conflicts throughout history. When you rally an army of fools with lies about the enemy and a promise of eternal salvation just to take back some land for the Byzantine empire you are on the wrong side of the war. When you invade Poland to get a quick fix for the economy and fuel your war of genocide, you are on the wrong side of history. The idea that the strong were ever "justified" in beating down on the weak just because it happened a lot is a goddamn lie. And you will never, ever, insult me by spreading that bull around again. Are we clear on that?

As for how this works narratively, Overlord once again avoids having any conflict because aside from how easy it is for Ainz to subjugate the weak and how little he cares about the moral implications of it, either on an emotional or intellectual level, the show goes out of it's way to sweep any consequences for him that one might expect. Other nations do not rally together to combat the threat and half the people he enslaves seem almost happy about it. Show me how that is in keeping with your "military history" if you can. If Ainz's actions as a conquering warlord had any realistic consequences and he escalated his behavior in response to that, we might have a story. But that doesn't happen, which means that once again, it isn't a conflict to him.

To summarize: The minions developing their own set of morals isn't a source of conflict for Ainz because we have established that they will choose him as soon as he asks them. The possibility of someone rivaling him out there isn't a conflict because it is never once brought up after Shalltear. The "threat" of his minions turning against him if he doesn't live of to their expectations isn't a conflict because he is never conflicted about doing the things he needs to do to keep them in line and happy and instead of treating them as obstacles he has to be on edge around, he treats them as friends. The fact that he is a "normal person" forced into this weird moral situation isn't a conflict because even though he is a normal person should have a normal perspective on right and wrong, he isn't conflicted at all by his loss of empathy, even though he is very much aware that he is going against the ideals of his friends he supposedly cares about so much. His military conquests aren't a source of conflict because he has never once had any trouble after beating Shalltear and he conveniently doesn't have to deal with pesky things like slave rebellions or the geopolitical landscape turning against him.

There.is.no.conflict. The only interesting conflict we have had is when other people are forced to deal with Ainz as an evil overlord, but even then that is quickly swept under the rug.

I'm taking a break from this. It is getting very hard to stay within community guidelines when I have to deal with this kind of frustration.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
tianchris

Suzuki's played his Momonga character as a ganker of gankers,because of his friend Touch Me,but make no mistake Momonga was created having a lawful evil alignment(-500 karma in Yggdrasil).

That lawful evil alignment is what defines Ainz's being. He is not RP'ing as a evil ovelord,Ainz is a evil overlord..
Also Suzuki ,himself, is a extremely selfish and lonely person. And that selfishness,coupled with his fear of being alone again,colors every choice Ainz makes..

As for the NPCs...
Free willed beings they are be now.Free wills that have been dictated by their game settings.They all see their creators as gods and in Ainz they see their supreme,all mighty & all powerful,God.
Only one has gone beyond their original game personalities,Albedo. And it's because of Ainz's tampering.. S2 ep 10

Shallteer did not rebel,as she was MC'ed. Ainz knows this,his fear is simple..his only connection to his friends maybe taken from him.

Cocytus is neutral with a bit of good, he sees in the lizardmen honor and courage,thus was moved enough to ask for their lives to be saved.

He actually failed Ainz's original test.

Sebas disobeyed Ainz. Because his game settings make him a good being.One who has a strong sense of right- "It's only common sense to help those in need"...

The anime dropped all mention of the following,its why Ainz refused Solution's wish for innocent humans- S3 ep 1

Ainz is trying to beak the NPCs slavish side,not because he wants them to be free willed..but because he can't handle their devotion. It put too much pressure on him as he can't live up to their expectations and fears they'll leave him.

Wanko and Nigredo saved all the of babies who were taken during the raid on the capital[S2 eps 12/13] did so because their settings demanded it. Wanko is a kind hearted good being and Nigredo...well she spoiler[is an homage to horror movies like Mama(2013),Ju-on(The Grudge) etc....and babies trigger her.... protectiveness
]

Those two saved hundreds of babies.spoiler[.Babies who were doomed to an endless cycle of torture,being skinned (while conscious), then healed,all the create scrolls for Nazarick.
]

That is what happens,and it happens to a huge number of beings, at Demiurge's ranches.
The anime truly glosses over that part Overlord....

And you're seriously basically saying that there "many fine people on both sides" Then you bring up actual history-

Ainz has personally experimented,vile & gruesome experiments,on several dozens of humans.
Thousands upon thousands of are continuously being sent to Demiurge's ranches...

A book Ainz is unwittingly reading [S3 ep 1] to learn about leadership and politics.

By the end of episode 13......

Major anime spoiler---------

spoiler[<spoiler> Ainz will have directly caused the deaths of over 180,000 men...Splat! .... </spoiler>]
tianchris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
[quote="johan.eriksson.9003"]
Quote:
The fact that their loyalty is so deeply ingrained on their very being that Sebas didn't hesitate for a second to kill the girl he was fond of as soon as Ainz ordered him to. It is never a conflict for Ainz. Hell, it isn't even a conflict for Sebas because the girl seems surprisingly ok with the idea that her savior would kill her in a heartbeat as soon as helping her became inconvenient.

I guess we would never agree that there's a hint of possibility that the npc is capable to betray Ainz. And for a cautious person a hint of possibility is enough threat for them.

Quote:
Except that is literally never brought up. We never see Ainz being paranoid, cautious sure, but never a hint of fear or anxiety. It is never a conflict for him, just another reason why he is so ridiculously invincible. Why would I empathize with him when he has zero reason to be paranoid and every reason to think that he is the single safest and most well-guarded, unkillable thing on the planet?

I guess that would make him invincible even against the very dragon at the beginning of s2 that was fighting against Shalltear right? The problem is everything in overlord is very implicit. There's a mention of Rigrit ring an item that the dragon said transcend human bound. Of course it's possible that the author just playing around and Ainz prove to be the strongest among others that drift to that world every 100 years. So it's either that or it's still just a world building.

Quote:
Because...they...are...his...minions. They are on his side and he controls them. You can argue that technically they might be able to turn against him but their entire existence is based around obeying his every whim. We have already seen that in a conflict between their interests and Ainz's, they will obey Ainz no question. This is why the idea that they pose any kind of threat to him is asinine. And if Ainz not acting evil enough could make them turn against him, then that needs to be the conflict, but it isn't, because he is quite happy to oblige their every sadistic impulse and refers to them as precious friends. He never once hints that he is paranoid about them or allows them to be evil to keep them loyal. It isn't a conflict to him. And the point wasn't even about his minions, it was about your comment that it was "war" to Ainz but every "war" he has fought has been against being he knows doesn't stand a chance against him.

I am actually saying that to imply that why do you think that if his minion is that strong why would other minions who has drift to that world earlier than him be weaker? Even though there is prove that they posses world item and they're might be from guild stronger than his.

Quote:
Putting aside for a moment that he knew luring people to Nazarick was a plan, it would be laughably easy for him to just find out what their motivations were if he wanted to. And even if it wasn't, who cares? A thief who breaks in and steals things does not deserve to die, much less be tortured in ways worse than death, and the fact that Ainz's "perspective" says otherwise is what makes him an evil piece of shit. Hell, Ainz doesn't even care about thieves, what really sets him off is the fact that people he didn't invite "sullied" the place he built with his friends, even though said friends have long since moved on and he is the only one who still cares about a glorified clubhouse, which is both evil and pathetically immature. That could be another opportunity for interesting stories but it doesn't go that way because there is no one to call Ainz on his immaturity and absolute evil. It isn't a conflict for him.

Saying that he didn't care is simply not true if he didn't care he wouldn't bother to even ask about their motive. But let's put this into perspective if the worker got surrounded by the kingdom army and they fight to escape and kill the kingdom army who would you root for? The worker that invade the kingdom even though they know it's wrong or the army that protecting their territory. And even in season 1 Ainz already said that there's something wrong with him when he didn't faint while looking at the army that massacre enri's village and when he kill that soldier and didn't feel any guilt. The real problem is Ainz is strong so no one will care about what happens to him and the worker is weak so they symphatize with them.

Quote:
No, I know that the rules of his transfer has made it so that he can't feel emotions like he used to. I also know that it doesn't matter because he still knows what is right or wrong from his time as a human and is perfectly capable of choosing to not do evil things. The fact that he doesn't have a conscience to stop him any more doesn't make him worthy of sympathy, it is the reason he is an evil git. Once again, this could be a perfect opportunity for conflict if the fact that he has been "forced" into being evil bothered him in any way, but it doesn't, which means it isn't a conflict for him. The whole "he feels no empathy any more, oh poor widdle overlord" routine is also BS because he absolutely can feel emotion. He often says how fond he is of the residents of Nazarick and he flies into a goddamn rage just because people touch his friends' old junk. His "lack of empathy" is never treated as anything other than an excuse for him to not be bothered by any of the evil shit he pulls.

But he does have conscience it shows when he killed Clementine that he care about his companion and he felt anger because Clementine toy with Ninya. And he still shows that when he choose to let Tsuare live in nazarick. He flies into what you said goddamn rage is because they tried to fooled him into believing that his comrade is somewhere in this world and then crash that hope to the ground. Do you think if the worker find that Ainz is weaker than them they would not kill him to obtained nazarick treasure? A thief that break in and steals stuff might not deserve to die but a robber who breaks in and will kill you if they could would be another question.

Quote:
Unusual? No. Wrong as fudge? Hell yeah. See, this is what people who pull the "it's a different world with different rules" crap doesn't get: The only reason their world is "like that" is because it is full of people with far too much power and far too little conscience to not abuse it. It doesn't make it "ok" to go around killing sentient people as you please as if the fact that it happens often was an invitation to do it more. Ainz has even less excuse than most for this because as we have already established, nothing in this world is a threat to him. The possibility of there being someone out there with items that can challenge him is brought up once and then never again. He doesn't need to strengthen his forces so the fact that he "took this opportunity" to do so is completely unjustified.

I do know military history, and there are indeed a lot of massacres in it, which is why I know that there is no point in simply pointing them out as if there wasn't a moral component to most conflicts throughout history. When you rally an army of fools with lies about the enemy and a promise of eternal salvation just to take back some land for the Byzantine empire you are on the wrong side of the war. When you invade Poland to get a quick fix for the economy and fuel your war of genocide, you are on the wrong side of history. The idea that the strong were ever "justified" in beating down on the weak just because it happened a lot is a goddamn lie. And you will never, ever, insult me by spreading that bull around again. Are we clear on that?

As for how this works narratively, Overlord once again avoids having any conflict because aside from how easy it is for Ainz to subjugate the weak and how little he cares about the moral implications of it, either on an emotional or intellectual level, the show goes out of it's way to sweep any consequences for him that one might expect. Other nations do not rally together to combat the threat and half the people he enslaves seem almost happy about it. Show me how that is in keeping with your "military history" if you can. If Ainz's actions as a conquering warlord had any realistic consequences and he escalated his behavior in response to that, we might have a story. But that doesn't happen, which means that once again, it isn't a conflict to him.

To summarize: The minions developing their own set of morals isn't a source of conflict for Ainz because we have established that they will choose him as soon as he asks them. The possibility of someone rivaling him out there isn't a conflict because it is never once brought up after Shalltear. The "threat" of his minions turning against him if he doesn't live of to their expectations isn't a conflict because he is never conflicted about doing the things he needs to do to keep them in line and happy and instead of treating them as obstacles he has to be on edge around, he treats them as friends. The fact that he is a "normal person" forced into this weird moral situation isn't a conflict because even though he is a normal person should have a normal perspective on right and wrong, he isn't conflicted at all by his loss of empathy, even though he is very much aware that he is going against the ideals of his friends he supposedly cares about so much. His military conquests aren't a source of conflict because he has never once had any trouble after beating Shalltear and he conveniently doesn't have to deal with pesky things like slave rebellions or the geopolitical landscape turning against him.

There.is.no.conflict. The only interesting conflict we have had is when other people are forced to deal with Ainz as an evil overlord, but even then that is quickly swept under the rug.

I'm taking a break from this. It is getting very hard to stay within community guidelines when I have to deal with this kind of frustration.

Well understandable that this show is very implicit about a lot of things so it might not for everybody. But for me it is interesting because there's a lot of thing that make me frustrated about Ainz that he should've done better that "if it's me i would've done better" situation. And i'll admit that i do wish that Arche survive. But humans makes mistakes and through that we learn. And watching Ainz mistakes over mistakes is a good way to learn i think and it's definitely more fun than learning history after all there's no real victims.

Last edited by tianchris on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:16 am; edited 2 times in total
tianchris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
tianchris

Suzuki's played his Momonga character as a ganker of gankers,because of his friend Touch Me,but make no mistake Momonga was created having a lawful evil alignment(-500 karma in Yggdrasil).

That lawful evil alignment is what defines Ainz's being. He is not RP'ing as a evil ovelord,Ainz is a evil overlord..
Also Suzuki ,himself, is a extremely selfish and lonely person. And that selfishness,coupled with his fear of being alone again,colors every choice Ainz makes..

As for the NPCs...
Free willed beings they are be now.Free wills that have been dictated by their game settings.They all see their creators as gods and in Ainz they see their supreme,all mighty & all powerful,God.
Only one has gone beyond their original game personalities,Albedo. And it's because of Ainz's tampering.. S2 ep 10

Shallteer did not rebel,as she was MC'ed. Ainz knows this,his fear is simple..his only connection to his friends maybe taken from him.

Cocytus is neutral with a bit of good, he sees in the lizardmen honor and courage,thus was moved enough to ask for their lives to be saved.

He actually failed Ainz's original test.

Sebas disobeyed Ainz. Because his game settings make him a good being.One who has a strong sense of right- "It's only common sense to help those in need"...

The anime dropped all mention of the following,its why Ainz refused Solution's wish for innocent humans- S3 ep 1

Ainz is trying to beak the NPCs slavish side,not because he wants them to be free willed..but because he can't handle their devotion. It put too much pressure on him as he can't live up to their expectations and fears they'll leave him.

Wanko and Nigredo saved all the of babies who were taken during the raid on the capital[S2 eps 12/13] did so because their settings demanded it. Wanko is a kind hearted good being and Nigredo...well she spoiler[is an homage to horror movies like Mama(2013),Ju-on(The Grudge) etc....and babies trigger her.... protectiveness
]

Those two saved hundreds of babies.spoiler[.Babies who were doomed to an endless cycle of torture,being skinned (while conscious), then healed,all the create scrolls for Nazarick.
]

That is what happens,and it happens to a huge number of beings, at Demiurge's ranches.
The anime truly glosses over that part Overlord....

Well I do read the LN.
But Ainz didn't know that.

Quote:
And you're seriously basically saying that there "many fine people on both sides" Then you bring up actual history-

Ainz has personally experimented,vile & gruesome experiments,on several dozens of humans.
Thousands upon thousands of are continuously being sent to Demiurge's ranches...

A book Ainz is unwittingly reading [S3 ep 1] to learn about leadership and politics.

And that (human experiment) also happens in actual history of war times. I'm not even trying to say that Ainz is right understandable doesn't make it right. And Ainz also killed one party in season 1 that haven't makes any mistakes to him other than it disturb him. Why is there's no mention about that party why is everyone so obsessed about Arche?
If anything the worker did invade Nazarick.

Quote:
By the end of episode 13......

Major anime spoiler---------

spoiler[<spoiler> Ainz will have directly caused the deaths of over 180,000 men...Splat! .... </spoiler>]

Yeah I wonder what reactions will this board have when that happens. But there's no one that Ainz personally send to Demiurge farm so on that i guess you could say it's Ainz sin of ignorant
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
tianchris

You've read the LN including v13?

At this point neighbor seem to me a contrarian.

A "very fine people on both sides" my rear end.
tianchris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
tianchris

You've read the LN including v13?

At this point neighbor seem to me a contrarian.

A "very fine people on both sides" my rear end.

Yeah i've read the LN including v13 and as i said understandable doesn't make it right. And i were talking about the anime. The LN did get darker and darker. BTW how did my previous comment could lead to a conclusion that i said A"very fine people on both sides"? If i remember correctly all i'm saying is basically what Ainz did especially to the workers is understandable. But if i do really say "very fine people on both sides" then i'm definitely wrong.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Alas, their appeal to his adventuring side couldn't get past how pissed off he was at the invaders.

I don't think it was an appeal to his adventuring side so much as their bluff made him have to consider the slim possibility that they had met one of his guild mates, but when they said that the message was for "Ains" instead of Momonga he confirmed that it was a bluff. One of his big goals is finding out about his teammates.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:43 pm Reply with quote
tianchris wrote:
BTW how did my previous comment could lead to a conclusion that i said A"very fine people on both sides"? If i remember correctly all i'm saying is basically what Ainz did especially to the workers is understandable. But if i do really say "very fine people on both sides" then i'm definitely wrong.

In case you're not from the U.S., Nordhmmer is referencing an infamous quote by President Trump which many people took as speaking in complimentary fashion about white supremacists, one of whom was responsible for running down and killing a counter-protester with a car at a rally last year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Ep 9,

And as usual the anime is skimming over stuff at high speed. They completely skipped the meeting the Emperor had with Aura and Mare. They also condensed Fluder's meeting with Darkness down to like 10 seconds at the very end of the ep. Fluder has been briefly seen before in the anime but he got an extremely detailed introduction in the novel while in the anime they've barely mentioned his name, not to mention the details of his collaboration with Ainz.

Furthermore when the emperor entered the Nazarick throne room in the novels the aisle leading to the throne was flanked by a large variety of extremely high level monsters that were the equivalent of monsters of legend in that world, showing at a glance just how overwhelming Nazarick is. I don't even know why they changed that in the anime, it would have taken so little time.

They really should have condensed down the Carne Village arc to something much shorter, like 2 or 3 episodes. Everything since then has been way too rushed. Here's hoping they do the climax (or dual climaxes) of this arc justice at least.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:09 am Reply with quote
''The one thing I didn't quite understand was Demiurge assuming a demonic amphibian form for the meeting with the Emperor rather than his normally devilish humanoid appearance. If there's a strategic reason for this, then the anime doesn't make it clear. But in most respects, this is a ho-hum episode by franchise standards.''

I tought this would of been clear to you, to let you explain, Demiurge is playing the role of the Demon Emperor Jaldaboath, he is in his frog form so that no one would make the conenction that he and Jaldabaoth are one of the same. After all demi only had a mask and those who are more insightful can put two in two together. Also while no spoilers from the Ln, The Role jaldabaoth still has a part to play and that is why demi was in his frog form.

I will agree as a ln reader they skipped a lot detials, no major scene was skipped but everything was shortned and faced paced those who read the ln can spot the little details like why the emperor jircniv did not bow when demi used his mantra control but since that part was not explained unlike the book, anime only would miss that little details as an example., i think it was to establish all of this out of the way so they concentrate more on the other stuff, they still have 4 more episodes to play and after how much was faced paced in this episode the rest of the story should flow a lot more easily with how much was already covered and how much episdoes we haves left.

I still look foward to it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Things get a bit more interesting where the old mage Fluder is involved; we knew that he had some kind of encounter with Momon, but begging to become Ains' student is more than I had expected, even though it makes a certain amount of sense.

Since the anime hasn't really given any information about Fluder, here's his background (this isn't spoilers btw, this was all presented freely in the LN by this point, the anime just didn't bother). Fluder is one of the most powerful humans alive, he can use 6th tier magic which is generally considered impossible for a human to use, he's over 250 years old and has basically been helping lead the empire for generations, he's one of the pillars its built around and is considered on the same level with the 13 heroes of legend. He's also completely obsessed with discovering the mysteries of magic so when he meets with darkness and Ains and Nabel show that they can both use tier 10 magic (and he senses Ains has power even above tier 10) he immediately begs to become his servant and student and is willing to do absolutely anything, including betraying the empire in exchange for the secrets of magic. That is how the whole tomb raider arc began.

The emperor knows Fluder extremely well (since Fluder is basically a surrogate father to him) and the reason he realized Fluder betrayed him is because if that had been his first exposure to Ains he knows that he would have immediately begged Ains to let him stay and learn from him, the fact that he didn't meant he already met Ains and therefore had betrayed the empire.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13