• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Did FLCL Progressive Live Up to its Predecessor?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
While it wasn't as good as S1, I thought Progressive did a good job at being entertaining. I like how there was still different art styling, even though it wasn't as prominent as in S1, and I did enjoy our new characters although sometimes some of the side characters did get a bit annoying. Although I was more turned off by how villainous Haruko basically was from the start; while I eventually got used to it and even understood some of it, compared to S1 that switch with her seemed to have flipped, even with or without Jinyu as part of her. She didn't seem that way in S1, or at least I didn't pick up on it.
Huffdaddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Did FLCL Progressive Live Up to its Predecessor?

I would compare FLCL Progressive to Bubblegum Crisis 2040. By that I mean, the show is not awful and is in fact in many ways a quite competent sequel to the classic original. Yet, it completely lacks in virtually all of the ways that the original was special. The action, music, the animation, the inventiveness and originality. I strongly suspect that much like BGC 2040, in 20 years no one will remember this show existed while the original will still be fondly remembered.

Huffdaddy
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
I have mixed feelings about the show too.

One thing that I felt odd about was that despite all the zany wackiness of the original, the lore/stuff that occurred in the show still felt... more grounded??? Or more consistent in a way where things occurring in Progressive just feel too random.

So basically it was like the original FLCL?

jdnation wrote:

The colour palette of the original also knew how to set mood and tone specific to every scene while still having a consistent art direction even when it jumps styles and does so specific to the feeling it is conveying from surprise to comedy to emotional.

But Progressive just feels like it's all over the place.

......It looks basically the same as the original series.

jdnation wrote:

The original FLCL felt like there was a logic to the world. Progressive just kind of does whatever the heck it wants.

Once again just like the first show.

jdnation wrote:

The supporting cast also aren't as memorable, in fact they're downright boring and seem to only exist to move the plot along. Compare this to Naota's dad and granpa, Canti and Mamimi...

.........who were either not good characters or relatively flat? which makes sense considering they existed in a series that ran for 6 episodes where they didn't get a whole lot of time to flesh them out.

jdnation wrote:

heck even Naoto's never-seen older brother leaves more of a lasting impression.

Okay this really doesn't make sense even from cynical point of view.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I only first watched the original FLCL earlier this year so I don't have any nostalgic attachment to it and I personally enjoyed the sequel a lot. I really liked Hidomi as the MC and I thought her relationship was well done and I enjoyed Jinyu and her rivalry with Haruko. I personally liked the side characters well enough and I liked they had a crossdressing guy that didn't fit any stereotypes and wasn't treated as just a punching bag for some homophobic jokes like a lot of anime does. The original was more over the top but I felt like it started getting back the classic feeling of the original around the beach episode. My only real criticism is I still feel a bit confused about what Haruko's overall goal was and why she switched to being an antagonist. I don't think it needs to be as good as the original to be entertaining and I think it's hyperbolic to call it the worst sequel of any medium ever. There are far worse anime sequels like Psycho Pass 2, Eureka Seven AO, and Dragonball GT.

i agree with PP!, but AO & GT? sure they had faults, but they definitely weren't bad to say the least. and in AO's case it pretty much fell under the same trap that derailed darling in the franxx.

so while progressive inst the same as the original, its definitely not a bad anime sequel.

if you really want bad sequel then look no further that to look at EVERY SINGLE GUNDAM SEQUEL that was released!! (ZZ, SEED Destiny, 00 season 2 & its movie, and especially IBO season 2 which if it wasn't for the mess that was NTR Trap & Scum's Wish would deserve worst anime of the year honors!) they pretty much threw away everything that made their prequels great, so while AO had its flaws, ITS A HELL OF A LOT BETTER than the those gundam sequels which should have quit while they were ahead! especially for the case of IBO , Zeta and SEED!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
So basically it was like the original FLCL?

No. I was referring to the grounded-ness being in the original show, but absent form Progressive.

So far the first episode of Alternative is more in line with this aspect to me than Progressive.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
......It looks basically the same as the original series.

Yes and no. The original show had a consistency in its art direction, and when it broke 'character' made sense with the emotion the scene tried to convey. I don't feel Progressive manages it that well.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Once again just like the first show.

No. While the first show did have some far out concepts, as I described later I feel Progressive went too far off the meter. The first show consisted mainly of robot/monster fights. Things only got off the charts with the arrival of Atomisk, which made sense when he finally turned up in an apocalyptic kind of way, but we understand this because of what Atomisk is built up to being. Progressive kind of jumps the shark with plant girl and the anti-Mechanica corps and amusement park. It's hard for me to convey exactly what I mean, but it feels as if it went too far, and without any build-up...

BadNewsBlues wrote:
.........who were either not good characters or relatively flat? which makes sense considering they existed in a series that ran for 6 episodes where they didn't get a whole lot of time to flesh them out.

His Dad and Grandpa were comic relief characters, but they know how to tug at Naoto's frustrations and bring them to the foreground. Mamimi is central to the plot in a very personal way for Naoto. As did the eyebrows dude contribute to the world building.

I don't know what characters outside of Himeji or Ide provided in Progressive. The cross-dressing dude seems like just a way to get the plant girl into there. His other latin? friend seems primarily a test subject for the amusement park and just grows a short lived attraction to Himeji and seems to only be a side slice-of-life peek at unrequited love? And what were the Anti-Mechanica corps all about? World building certainly, but at least the authorities, particularly led by eyebrows from the original had a history and connection with Haruko.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Okay this really doesn't make sense even from cynical point of view.

Certainly I'm nitpicking...
But it does make sense considering that Naoto's brother and his accomplishments and Mamimi's attraction to him are all important.

Comparatively in Progressive, Himeji's dad up and left. Leaving only her mother and the diner. Certainly it's an important detail. But even here, that's like the only development.

Naoto idolized his brother, and that's why he initially picked up baseball. But he can't live up to that. So it's more complex. So too for Mamimi who is rejected by him and latches on to Naoto as a result and she too has an arc.

Himeji and her mother are just waiting for her father who left. That's the only development we know of him. There is no other revelation about who he was or why he did it.

I'm not saying this is required for Progressive to be good or even to imitate. But in comparison to the original, regarding the obvious similarity of a person missing from each one's life, the original had more depth with regards to the central missing character.
Zof

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
The original FLCL was a story about teenagers coming of age and learning that adults lie. And that you sometimes have to work with people that lied to you and that's life. He had a brother he wanted to be able to keep respecting, that seriously screwed over Mamami. And they all used to hang out together and be friends.

The original FLCL was also about perceptions. They'd go out of their way to show characters from the perspective of other characters. They did this a lot with Mamami. They wanted you to see how things can be seen differently depending who does the seeing.

The original FLCL was also about knowing what you want, and acting on it. That message happened over and over again. And it was about how it feels when you know you want something, but you aren't sure what, and you have no idea how to act. And it was about not always getting what you want.

The original FLCL had so much scope, there have been college courses about it. In just six short episodes. The scope and scale amazing.

The new FLCL did not have scope. It felt like a hastily made, continuation bottle episode done on the leftover set of first project.

The new FLCL had very little new to say. It was like a recycled themes and lip service bonanza. Like they had a list of themes to touch on and with each minor reference would check them off.

The laziest thing they could have done to obtain scope, scale, and the kind of feel that they'd have needed to match the outstanding anthems from The Pillows would have been simply making Atomsk a full character with lines, and giving him a purpose other than being a plot device. Off of that they could have made something at least memorable, that felt big. Big like Atomsk.

Note: I'm holding out hope FLCL Alternative is better.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, is there anyone out there who watched Progressive as their first FLCL? If Progressive is reflective to what teens are now compared to the original FLCL's late 90s-early 2000s teens, I am curious what their take of Progressive is.
Zof

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Out of curiosity, is there anyone out there who watched Progressive as their first FLCL? If Progressive is reflective to what teens are now compared to the original FLCL's late 90s-early 2000s teens, I am curious what their take of Progressive is.

Here's what kills me about that soundbite. That FLCL somehow spoke to the children of the 90's. None of the themes were 90's-centric. That you can't hit the ball if you don't swing the bat, or that adults lie, or that it hurts when you love someone and they don't love you back, or that people you admire and trust can disappoint you sometimes. That growing up can suck and feel terrible sometimes.
Cabron

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
It didn't work because Tsurumaki isn't the director.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm just over halfway through Progressive right now, and I'm enjoying it so far. To me, it feels a lot like the first.

Then again, I've only seen FLCL once before, and it was a few years ago, and I didn't really get it at the time - so, um, I guess I'm just getting a "same 'ol" kick out the nonsense and madness playing out onscreen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2