• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ulysses: Jeanne d'Arc and the Alchemist Knight (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote

Ulysses: Jeanne d'Arc and the Alchemist Knight (TV)

Genres: action, fantasy
Themes: historical fiction

Plot Summary: During France's Hundred Years' War with England, Montmorency, the son of a noble, immerses himself in the study of magic and alchemy at a school for knights. However, after France's defeat at Agincourt, the school is disbanded and Montmorency is forced to flee. While on the run he meets a miraculous village girl named Jeanne.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

This show is a bit strange especially in regards to presentings its main characters. Despite the episode being standard length, it felt like a lot happened with Montmorency. There's also tragic scenes of war that shows its aftermath too. Poor Richemont.

Pretty much an introductory episode that sets up for rest of the season. There's also some historical references, something that I'm sure will be recurring in some upcoming episodes. Also, the themes of alchemy will likely be revisited often in the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Dare I say this is the worst show of the season, or at least tied for it?
They really are trying to sell it solely on the big tit ecchi, and no substance.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:49 am Reply with quote
DId I miss how exactly seven years past without him noticing? If he outs the master sword back in, does he go back in time?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:31 am Reply with quote
Okay but nobody's answering the MOST important question here: is the ship with him and Jeanne cute?

Is it cute enough to enjoy the anime?

(I am such trash)
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:39 am Reply with quote
This is a dirty kind of ecchi series, of course it's not cute.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Okay but nobody's answering the MOST important question here: is the ship with him and Jeanne cute?

Is it cute enough to enjoy the anime?

(I am such trash)

she doesn't show up in the first ep. he and a few other girls in cast are just kids at the moment. Bu they are adorable
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:

Don't be stupid; LOTS of ecchi series are cute. Look how cute NGNL is.....
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:50 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Sunny milk wrote:

Don't be stupid; LOTS of ecchi series are cute. Look how cute NGNL is.....

Agreed, lots of anime can mix together different things. Was trying to think of a series that could be like a distillation between the two, which brought to mind Macademi Wasshoi, been so long since that I can't a good show of the particular style within that show. Does not necessarily have anything to do with this series though. Don't really know how this series is going to be, the art above kind of surprises me after what was in the first episode.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:07 am Reply with quote
That's why I said this is the DIRTY kind of ecchi. Not the cute.
I mean if you think that an episode that ends with a preview that says "if you like small breasted girls, you are basically a boy loving pedo, or on your way to becoming one" is cute, then it might be cute for you.

And I never cared about NGNL after one episode, so I wouldn't know.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh man. The pacing is bad. There's also something awful about the direction or something. The scene transitions, the camera usage or something is just off. And I'm still upset that the tiny fairy voiced by Rie Kugimiya was killed off. There's something amusing about Jeanne hating girls with big boobs, but mostly this show is kinda lame. The girls are kinda cute though, particularly the winged fairy one.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
The show is pretty trashy. It does have some elements that are not bad, but most of them are wrapped around parts.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
You guys think thats Ecci? Watch those silly new Isekai Thing with the 12 zodiac maidens and the starchilds, then we can talk again.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:58 am Reply with quote
SomeHero wrote:
You guys think thats Ecci? Watch those silly new Isekai Thing with the 12 zodiac maidens and the starchilds, then we can talk again.

Believe me, I need no explanation of what is and isn't ecchi. My current "Seen all" for anime is over one thousand. Conception kind of cheats for ambiguity of what is and isn't necessary for child making. Both series are ecchi, but one has treated as interpersonal relationships sex that is not really sex, while the other has French kissing as a requirement for combat and scandalous outfits.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote
ups sry i doesnt meaned to disgust you guys. I have not that much anime experience, so it looked like some gancrest senki with more sex for me. Btw, why no 1 discuss About ore no imouto? Thats an funny Thing and full p*rn xD… or its also some old cliche anime again?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't think you disgusted anyone. And to be real, me having seen more does mean I am right about all anime, these are forums where discussion is encouraged. I am probably at the point of being cynical and thinking I know everything.

Oreimo was a while back, and certainly started a real trend into the imouto subgenre. It certainly was a good show at the time, that had many shows try and copycat, maybe ecchi anime and those with light harems in general can be connected as trying such. I still feel salty about how that one ended, where Eromanga Sensei did not feel like it quite made the same heights. Somewhat making a connection, Ulysses is not really the worst ecchi show this season, but at this point I point my finger at My Sister, My Writer, which totally feels like a derivative work that is trying to copy a whole bunch of better shows. I went on a rant about it in the Anime section of the forums, in the What are you watching now topic. Specifically I made some comparisons to how A Sister's All You Need was something people turned their back on, but was really a good show, that MSMW feels like an insult towards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2