• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Karakuri Circus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I feel like this show has suddenly gone into a completely different story, and I think if the show had Narumi dead, and focused on Masaru, it would have been better. The reason the show is not as good as Ushio and Tora comes down not to the adaptation, but because it tries to expand the story out into multiple directions, rather than a single story.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:33 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
The reason the show is not as good as Ushio and Tora comes down not to the adaptation, but because it tries to expand the story out into multiple directions, rather than a single story.

I was curious about how much it changed the source material, so I went and read the manga up to this point, and actually, I think we can definitely blame the adaptation. The source material actually goes back and forth between Narumi and Shirogane/Masaru's viewpoints and gives them roughly equal amounts of attention, and it feels much more natural in how we're following two stories that diverge and then come back together.

Although what really hurts it is that the anime has outright skipped several entire volumes, and it's skipped more on Masaru's side than it has on Narumi's, so it feels incredibly lopsided. As of episode 15, the anime has covered up to roughly volume 23, and covering roughly 1.5 volumes per episode is insane. The story is much more enjoyable when it actually has character development and foreshadowing.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know what is the meaning of what it said on the Golem puppet's headband?

Pausing it, it looks like it says "Schem-hamforash", anyone got an idea of what that means?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:49 am Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
Does anyone know what is the meaning of what it said on the Golem puppet's headband?

Pausing it, it looks like it says "Schem-hamforash", anyone got an idea of what that means?

It seems to be Shem HaMephorash, which is a term for a hidden name of God in Kabbalah, and likely refers to one of the methods for animating a golem, by writing a name of God on a piece of paper and putting it into the golem's mouth or forehead.
utawoutau

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:42 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I’m basically watching this show in order to enjoy James’s hilarious episode reviews.
Ruddor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I assume we'll get to the part where the manga stopped getting translated next week, so I guess I've got to start watching again. Also, in case anyone still doesn't realize how fast this adaptation is going, we're on volume 24 of the manga.

Out of 43 volumes.
On episode 16.
Whoa, we're halfway there.
Nodz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
The anime is far to be perfect and of course it could have been so much better with a 100 episode order! But it just got 36 and most of the arcs are long, specially the flashback one (and there are tons of flashback arcs!!!).
If there were an anime back in 2000, be sure it would have been 24 episodes and adapting until chapter 62, before Narumi was discovered to be alive.
Brack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is one of the rare cases where it likely would have been a better adaptation if it was happening while the manga was ongoing. And if the author wasn't co-writing it.

It feels like what turns out to be the core story (the inherited wills of Bai Yin, Bai Jin and Francine) wasn't necessarily there in the early arcs, and so they've been given short shrift in the adaptation.

And some of the connective tissue the viewer might need to make sense of some story elements is missing because of that, but also because Fujita is too close to the source and doesn't realise himself how essential they are.

This is illustrated particularly well in the latest episode when a scene that does not appear in the anime is referenced in a conversation...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Based on this and Ushio &Tora, the author really has a thing for complex backstories and everyone being some form of reincarnation or descendent of someone else.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've been expecting that reveal ever since Faceless and Dean/Sadayoshi first appeared and they sounded like they had the same voice actor as Bai Jin
Brack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:18 am Reply with quote
Probably worth mentioning as the series goes full speed ahead into crazy town that it skipped about 7 volumes of the manga in the last 5 minutes of episode 20.
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:09 am Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
Probably worth mentioning as the series goes full speed ahead into crazy town that it skipped about 7 volumes of the manga in the last 5 minutes of episode 20.

Not sure if they will go for a better pacing an proper adaptation for at least the last few volumes, but do keep us updated if that happen. o/

Hopefully there's something salvageable in this anime adaptation after all.
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:25 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Brack wrote:

Not sure if they will go for a better pacing an proper adaptation for at least the last few volumes, but do keep us updated if that happen. o/

Hopefully there's something salvageable in this anime adaptation after all.

My suspicion now is that this is a 2-cour show, not the 3-cour show people seemed to think it was.
DCR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Brack wrote:

I expected them to skip that part.
Even in the manga, it felt a bit filler-y.
Brack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:47 am Reply with quote
This week's episode is fine in and of itself, the problem is the anime cut all the reasons you might have had to care about the fates of characters it focuses on.

George LaRoche's defeat at the hospital and subsequent ostracization from the Shirogane-O? Mingxia's complicated relationship with her father? George and Eiryo's escape from the Midnight Circus before the missiles hit? The aforementioned missiles? All gone!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6