• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?' Light Novels Get TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't this series announced having an anime earlier this year? But I'm curious how this series ends up on screen.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
As a mom myself, I am truly living for this ... I’m preordering the light novel right now.
HK16

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:06 am Reply with quote
Okaasan is here!!!!!! It felt like yesterday that it just came out.

JC Staff are going to animate everything in existent now. Confirmed. Laughing
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:28 am Reply with quote
Well this is pretty interesting. An isekai about the hot mom.
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:39 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting for this!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:28 am Reply with quote
Why is the name Yoshiaki Iwasaki familiar to me? Probably nothing, I'll go back to rewatching one of my favorite parody show, Best Student Council, which I've recently decided to pop in for a spin. Now isn't that weird that the director has the same name... Really?

OK, JC Staff, you have my attention... but you'd have my FULL attention if it was the guy's teacher rather than his mother. I even looked up some of the work's themes because, you know, Japan, and I still haven't decided how I feel about not finding what I was expecting.

One hand, I'm ok with that and on the other... I don't know; My feeling is that every major character dynamic should have an influence on the plot and here? "Oh wow, I didn't know my mom played this game... and she's good at it. What else do I don't know about her? ... oh nothing, BTW, Stop embarrassing me, Mom..."

Repeat that last line, say three times an episode?
I've heard worse Isekai plot ideas but... and "but" is all I can say until I see what they want to do with it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:24 am Reply with quote
Assuming this gets a Funi simuldub, who do you guys and gals see playing Mom?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like a unique twist for a genre that usually doesn't even mention parents. To have an overpowered mother on an isekai adventure sounds like it has a lot of potential for comedy. It is also a bit surprising how quickly this got an anime adaptation.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Why is the name Yoshiaki Iwasaki familiar to me? Probably nothing, I'll go back to rewatching one of my favorite parody show, Best Student Council, which I've recently decided to pop in for a spin. Now isn't that weird that the director has the same name... Really?

That's EXACTLY what i did right after knowing that he was directing this serie " Hey this is the guy who was involved in so much good comedy anime, let's watch again one of my favorite, Gokujou seitokai !"

I'm glad that he is also directing next year's "Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai" which is also mainly comedy. Hayate no Gotoku season 3&4 would have been way better if he had directed them as he did for the first 2 ones.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Well, I am glad that quite a few people already know about this title, so as not to mistakenly decide that this is a series with “parental incest”.

I'll take your word for it that it doesn't (so far, *cough* Bunny Drop *cough*) contain that, in an overt sense, but I mean... the subtext is certainly there. Just look at that "standard flirtatious pose" cover art.

I don't know whether it's intentional, since 99% of anime girls/women on cover art are designed to attract male consumers in the same manner as cereal box mascots targeting little kids, but I'm don't feel like it being accidental or "just a joke" would make it any less disconcerting. Lighthearted parody of a thing is often just a circuitous way of doing that thing in a fashion that's more socially acceptable. Oreimo was--supposedly--a parody, but now we have regular installments of "my little anime can't be this season's obligatory little sister comedy with no ulterior motives whatsoever" and no one thinks it's funny anymore. Will this show usher in a new paradigm in fringe otaku fetishes? Only time will tell.

Semi-relatedly, they sure didn't go for subtlety with her name. Osuki Mamako?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3