• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:08 am Reply with quote
S3 #11

All things considered, the point made about the two episodes being shortened into just one because of padding has merit. But the big bombshell at the end actually sounds the gong for the series heading towards a conclusion. Even anime-only viewers who have criticised and dismissed this arc won't have any cause of complaints later when they discover how much road is left for this franchise to run. I for one am certain this series will see a full adaptation, regardless of the criticism of other viewers. The announcement for the next arc is already on this website, spoiler[and I'm hoping the critical viewers just drop the franchise already if they're complaining so much about this arc when the next one is going to bore them to tears.]

The outpouring of emotion may be overplayed, but other viewers probably forgot the first few episodes in the first series. Tanjirou isn't joking when he says he's sacrificed so much to achieve all he has done to date, and it's all for his sister. Seeing her burn to a crisp in the sunlight and being forced into a decision to save strangers from demons or sacrifice her to the sunlight is huge for characterization, which is probably lost on some who never cared for anything other than the action anyway.

Most of the action scenes were played out and invested in from the preceding weeks, so it's not a surprise that some of the patterns look familiar as they were presented in previous weeks (Tanjirou's spinning slash has been animated more or less to source, and it's cheaper to rehash the pattern with a few modifications than to really do each one uniquely). That said, this is top-tier animation, and there have been examples where something like this would come off as much worse. Again, critical viewers won't care as the arc deviated too much from the standard successful template they've gorged on since the first season.

The author's experimentation with narrative and matchups has not gone down well, although there were complaints dating as far as back as the end of the Train arc. They've only grown louder as this arc wore on, curiously in tandem with the assigned reviewer's increasingly acerbic takes which are echoed multi-fold by fellow sycophants. Based on the episode count, the action in terms of airtime is about the same in absolute terms, but this arc is split between two Upper Demons and their matchups with frequent switches in perspective which has turned off other viewers' after just over 1/3rd of the quarter. It doesn't help that neither of the demons is as compelling as the two big showdowns which preceded it (Daki + Gyuutarou, Akaza for the train arc) nor are the Pillars featured in this arc as popular nor relatable as Rengoku and Tenzen.

One part of the double-header that I was hoping to see more elaboration on was Muzan's reminiscence. Back in the episode one double-header, he was already angry with his favoured Uppers for not making any progress in looking for the infamous blue spider-lilies over centuries. It's in this episode that anime-only viewers finally learn why he's so obsessed with finding them, but there was a lot more they could have done for airtime if they had saved a bit on the earlier chase and flashback sequences and invested it in this part instead. Personal opinion of course, and the final product for this double-header wasn't an absolute disaster because of the creative direction chosen.

The other small vignette featuring Tamayo (how do other viewers even remember who she is, I wonder) is another big one for story despite its brevity. But that thread is for much further down the line. Tamayo commenting about how a recently turned Oni was freed from Muzan's control like she currently is with minimal side-effects is huge, as there have been only two notable examples (Tamayo herself and of course Nezuko) prior to Tamayo's successful intervention with Nezuko's blood.

Am I eager to see more of this franchise animated? Of course. Am I in any hurry to see it animated. No, just because I think the animators have worked hard to produce something which is technically excellent and which warrants a break, not just from their exertions but also from relentless criticism of an increasingly divided audience. If the next arc isn't available until next year, it might be enough time for other viewers to quit the franchise for good and find something else to feed their action addiction. Everyone else who enjoys the franchise as it is and is pleased with the quality and effort devoted into its production will be glad to see it given a break until next year if it means some creative decisions which aren't so divisive are properly considered.

Personally I'd be more than happy if the next arc isn't given a regular season airtime, and instead is squeezed into multi-episode OVAs. Commercially it won't make good sense, but it would be something different from the movie followed by extended rerun pattern which the studio has followed since the Train arc.

I've enjoyed this season, and would enjoy it more but for others. Hopefully when it airs again, fewer detractors because they've dropped it and a quieter thread. Fingers crossed.

[EDIT: Condescension removed. -TK]
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:23 am Reply with quote
I have come across many different opinions on this site and forum so far. Many people have very different opinions about all sorts of anime, manga and novels. That said, all those different opinions lead to discussion and I have not come across many discussions that turned hostile or toxic over said differences. So I hope that people with all kinds of different opinions will continue to comment on Demon Slayer.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:36 am Reply with quote
Discussion threads are not simply places where fans of a series go to say nice things. They are places to discuss any matter related to the show that a poster wishes to convey, whether the comments are positive, negative or neutral. Anybody who can not tolerate reading opinions different than their own really should find some other activity more suitable to keeping their blood pressure down than coming here... even though it is generally one of the most polite sites on any topic that I've ever come across.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:37 am Reply with quote
So far, I find the discussions here pretty civilized. We're all just expressing opinions, so disagreements are just part of the package. The last thing I want is one big echo chamber.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:08 pm Reply with quote
My approach on a lot of things in life is: you can do something, but without doing something else at the same time. Like, you can critique something with glowing praise, but not be pretentious about it. Or, if you're critical of that something's faults (or other people's disagreements), you can make your claims, while also not calling them dumb or being a dick about it. It's all in the wording.

I think back to what these forums were like when I first joined back in '03. It was pretty much the Wild West, in terms of people posting all kinds of opinions. When I became a Mod around '06, I've since tried to help maintain a certain level of decorum around here, and I think it's worked out. Then again, I don't really frequent any other forum. But after 20 years, I feel this place is about as cool as it was when I first discovered it (just a little less populated). I'm not a fan of what the Talkback forum has turned into, but I'll live. There will always be worse things that could happen or worse people you can be around.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:34 am Reply with quote
My rating will be Good (7/10), a step down from the previous season, but I am not otherwise super negative. Probably one of the possible really positive was the pink haired girl, but not enough to make up for the better parts of last season.

Nezuko might actually become a character with a voice.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Original discussion started here.

Been meaning to get loads of screen caps for this, since the production value is probably the highest of any TV show ever. Like I mentioned in the Goblin Slayer thread, darkly-lit scenes add to the mood, but are bad for detail/capping. Thankfully, KnY is chock-full of great daytime backgrounds and set pieces. I'll probably end up capping more of that than the action, when applicable. Just check out cap #2 for this first episode. The amount of detail in the trees is insane!
----------------------------------

Episode 01: Cruelty

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:03 pm Reply with quote

Episode 02: Trainer Urokodaki Sakonji

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:06 pm Reply with quote

Episode 03: Sabito and Makomo

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:11 pm Reply with quote

Episode 04: Final Selection

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Episode 05: My Own Steel

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:16 pm Reply with quote

Episode 06: Swordsman Accompanying a Demon

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 07: Kibutsuji Muzan

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:37 pm Reply with quote

Episode 08: The Smell of Enchanting Blood

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:40 pm Reply with quote

Episode 09: Temari Demon and Arrow Demon

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12