• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:25 pm Reply with quote
And that was the 55 minute finale. It had plenty of exciting and surprising moments, though it did feel a bit padded at times with some sequences to draw things out. Upper moon 4 truly was one hell of a slippery snake with always more tricks and plans up his sleeve to keep from getting beheaded. Yet he finally got what he deserved and his flashback was thankfully succinct. As always some very impressive animation to enjoy and the main story seems to be moving forward.

All that said, this season was by far the weakest for me. First they barely explored the location before the action started. Then there was the awful pacing between the fights and some overly long flashbacks to make things even worse. One can also say that the fights that the mist and love pillars had barely counted as fights, there was more time spent on their flashbacks than the actual action they were in. Some episodes felt like a drag and that is not something I expected going into this season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Swordsmith Village Arc, Episode 11 (Finale)

I'll say right up front that I'm super glad Nezuko is not toast... literally. I didn't think she would be but it was still nice to get the confirmation. Based on comments I've read at ANN, I seem to be in the minority of people that genuinely enjoyed this arc. I had no issues with the pacing and to me it delivered on all the hallmarks of the Demon Slayer franchise: great action, cool-looking fights, characters I like, humour and some feels. My only quibble is that I feel like Mitsuri was given sort of short shrift in terms of screen time and prominence. I feel like the other Hashiras in previous arcs were given more to do than she did. I rated this Good.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Yokatta. Daijoubu. Yokatta, yokatta. Yokatta, yokatta, yokatta, yokatta, yokatta, yokatta, yokata, yokatta, yokattayokattayokattayokatta, Yokatta!!! よかった! Daijoubu. Yokatta. Yokatta it's over. I didn't realize the writers' strike extended to Japan.

They could've done this ep in a normal run time without all the padding. Even I was rolling my eyes at that interminable speedrun at the beginning. But it's nice to finally see some forward progress in the story.

So...are they completely unconcerned that two Upper Rank demons found the village? That no one knows how they found it (I guess?)? They have no second thoughts about rebuilding rather than finding a new location?

Is the moral of the story "Never mix Blue Spider Lilies with blood"?
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:07 am Reply with quote
Final:

7.5/10.

I will try to succinctly resummarize what I said before, and add a few more of my takes.

I don't feel like it's as mindblowing as the previous Entertainment Arc because simply put, it's not as climactic as I expected it to be. The Entertainment Arc brought the house down with the final two episodes, both in action and drama. Ufotable just poured everything into them in production values, but perhaps more importantly, the drama surrounding Gyutaro and Daki was perfect. I still vividly remember how amazing the seiyuu work was for both of them.

The Swordsmith Village Arc doesn't win me over as much, although it still put in a great effort especially with the final episode. For actually seeing not one but TWO Upper Demons and TWO Hashiras in one arc, I thought the climax would have been a heck lot more. But to see Muichiro single-handedly defeat a demon higher-ranked than Gyutaro/Daki, and Tanjiro actually defeating an Upper Four demon? Circumstantially speaking, that's a huuuge leap in progress.

The one problem I have with the ending is that it did that bad habit I last saw in the Mugen Train Arc: it tried too hard with stretching out the drama. In particular, Tanjiro remembering everything about demon Nezuko. I know what it tried to do, but it was too long. The same way Mugen Train Arc tried to make you feel sad for Rengoku's death (even though I really couldn't, because we only knew him for around two hours in the movie so the emotional investment wasn't really there). In short, it was overdone. Another thing: I was also hoping to see something worthwhile in Hantengu's story, but to see that he was just a petty thief... was it really worth all that just to deliver the punchline of atoning sins?

The main problem here is expectations; the last arc set me up so much that I feel a bit disappointed even thought by its own merits, this show is wonderful. People are still talking about the Entertainment Arc's climax to this day; for the Swordsmith Village, I'm not exactly sure. But like all the previous arcs, this has been a wild ride nonetheless.

Last edited by ACxS on Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:08 am Reply with quote
S3 #11

All things considered, the point made about the two episodes being shortened into just one because of padding has merit. But the big bombshell at the end actually sounds the gong for the series heading towards a conclusion. Even anime-only viewers who have criticised and dismissed this arc won't have any cause of complaints later when they discover how much road is left for this franchise to run. I for one am certain this series will see a full adaptation, regardless of the criticism of other viewers. The announcement for the next arc is already on this website, spoiler[and I'm hoping the critical viewers just drop the franchise already if they're complaining so much about this arc when the next one is going to bore them to tears.]

The outpouring of emotion may be overplayed, but other viewers probably forgot the first few episodes in the first series. Tanjirou isn't joking when he says he's sacrificed so much to achieve all he has done to date, and it's all for his sister. Seeing her burn to a crisp in the sunlight and being forced into a decision to save strangers from demons or sacrifice her to the sunlight is huge for characterization, which is probably lost on some who never cared for anything other than the action anyway.

Most of the action scenes were played out and invested in from the preceding weeks, so it's not a surprise that some of the patterns look familiar as they were presented in previous weeks (Tanjirou's spinning slash has been animated more or less to source, and it's cheaper to rehash the pattern with a few modifications than to really do each one uniquely). That said, this is top-tier animation, and there have been examples where something like this would come off as much worse. Again, critical viewers won't care as the arc deviated too much from the standard successful template they've gorged on since the first season.

The author's experimentation with narrative and matchups has not gone down well, although there were complaints dating as far as back as the end of the Train arc. They've only grown louder as this arc wore on, curiously in tandem with the assigned reviewer's increasingly acerbic takes which are echoed multi-fold by fellow sycophants. Based on the episode count, the action in terms of airtime is about the same in absolute terms, but this arc is split between two Upper Demons and their matchups with frequent switches in perspective which has turned off other viewers' after just over 1/3rd of the quarter. It doesn't help that neither of the demons is as compelling as the two big showdowns which preceded it (Daki + Gyuutarou, Akaza for the train arc) nor are the Pillars featured in this arc as popular nor relatable as Rengoku and Tenzen.

One part of the double-header that I was hoping to see more elaboration on was Muzan's reminiscence. Back in the episode one double-header, he was already angry with his favoured Uppers for not making any progress in looking for the infamous blue spider-lilies over centuries. It's in this episode that anime-only viewers finally learn why he's so obsessed with finding them, but there was a lot more they could have done for airtime if they had saved a bit on the earlier chase and flashback sequences and invested it in this part instead. Personal opinion of course, and the final product for this double-header wasn't an absolute disaster because of the creative direction chosen.

The other small vignette featuring Tamayo (how do other viewers even remember who she is, I wonder) is another big one for story despite its brevity. But that thread is for much further down the line. Tamayo commenting about how a recently turned Oni was freed from Muzan's control like she currently is with minimal side-effects is huge, as there have been only two notable examples (Tamayo herself and of course Nezuko) prior to Tamayo's successful intervention with Nezuko's blood.

Am I eager to see more of this franchise animated? Of course. Am I in any hurry to see it animated. No, just because I think the animators have worked hard to produce something which is technically excellent and which warrants a break, not just from their exertions but also from relentless criticism of an increasingly divided audience. If the next arc isn't available until next year, it might be enough time for other viewers to quit the franchise for good and find something else to feed their action addiction. Everyone else who enjoys the franchise as it is and is pleased with the quality and effort devoted into its production will be glad to see it given a break until next year if it means some creative decisions which aren't so divisive are properly considered.

Personally I'd be more than happy if the next arc isn't given a regular season airtime, and instead is squeezed into multi-episode OVAs. Commercially it won't make good sense, but it would be something different from the movie followed by extended rerun pattern which the studio has followed since the Train arc.

I've enjoyed this season, and would enjoy it more but for others. Hopefully when it airs again, fewer detractors because they've dropped it and a quieter thread. Fingers crossed.

[EDIT: Condescension removed. -TK]
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:23 am Reply with quote
I have come across many different opinions on this site and forum so far. Many people have very different opinions about all sorts of anime, manga and novels. That said, all those different opinions lead to discussion and I have not come across many discussions that turned hostile or toxic over said differences. So I hope that people with all kinds of different opinions will continue to comment on Demon Slayer.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:36 am Reply with quote
Discussion threads are not simply places where fans of a series go to say nice things. They are places to discuss any matter related to the show that a poster wishes to convey, whether the comments are positive, negative or neutral. Anybody who can not tolerate reading opinions different than their own really should find some other activity more suitable to keeping their blood pressure down than coming here... even though it is generally one of the most polite sites on any topic that I've ever come across.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:37 am Reply with quote
So far, I find the discussions here pretty civilized. We're all just expressing opinions, so disagreements are just part of the package. The last thing I want is one big echo chamber.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:08 pm Reply with quote
My approach on a lot of things in life is: you can do something, but without doing something else at the same time. Like, you can critique something with glowing praise, but not be pretentious about it. Or, if you're critical of that something's faults (or other people's disagreements), you can make your claims, while also not calling them dumb or being a dick about it. It's all in the wording.

I think back to what these forums were like when I first joined back in '03. It was pretty much the Wild West, in terms of people posting all kinds of opinions. When I became a Mod around '06, I've since tried to help maintain a certain level of decorum around here, and I think it's worked out. Then again, I don't really frequent any other forum. But after 20 years, I feel this place is about as cool as it was when I first discovered it (just a little less populated). I'm not a fan of what the Talkback forum has turned into, but I'll live. There will always be worse things that could happen or worse people you can be around.

EDIT: Wanted to put an episode review for the final episode of season 3 here, too. But things are so out of order, and I'm busy enough as it is, that I might as well just wait till the series is over and review it in its entirety.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue May 07, 2024 3:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:34 am Reply with quote
My rating will be Good (7/10), a step down from the previous season, but I am not otherwise super negative. Probably one of the possible really positive was the pink haired girl, but not enough to make up for the better parts of last season.

Nezuko might actually become a character with a voice.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:03 am Reply with quote
S4 #1

I see the website review is already out for this show, and as always the reviewer would much rather have teeth pulled out without anaesthetic than continue watching the adaptation. Not sure why there are that many masochistic staff around, but supposedly there was enough demand in the user base to force someone to take the short straw.

As for this arc, there is a very obvious reason why it has started so late compared to other shows this season: it's not long enough to justify an entire quarter. Considering what's coming after this arc, I can see this go at least two ways: 1. Casual viewers get turned off by what they see in this adaptation and drop the franchise entirely. 2. They stick with it despite the content, hoping there's a better payoff after the compulsory gate which bars the way to what is arguably the best material left to adapt is cleared. For viewers who have read the source material, the adaptation is more or less mandatory as there are a few gaps here to close up before the real action begins. I didn't mind the Swordsmith arc despite its less than glowing reception amongst casual viewers, but this is the arc which I had the most misgivings over simply because of what it contains and how different it is compared to what has come before. spoiler[Essentially any casual viewer with ADHD will be wondering if they're watching the same franchise, because the arc is exactly what it says on the tin and the stereotype formula of training arcs in other Shounen Jump franchises isn't deviated at all.]

As for the episode itself, it's a double-header which has been a habit since the season after the movie aired. Likewise, it always starts with an action set-piece to focus the audience's attention. As an introduction to the Serpent and the Wind, it does its job as they've never been shown in combat to date.

The rest of the episode is exposition, much the same way the first episode immediately after the Train movie was structured. As it is a training arc, the audience is explained why (in-universe terms) everyone is going on an extended training camp. After that, it's a (re)introduction to the franchise's ensemble cast, including a closer look at the remaining Pillar elite swordsmen who were only given a brief introduction way back when the Corps master first summoned Tanjirou and Nezuko. Looking at the VAs cast for this franchise, it'll be years before a heavyweight cast of this calibre is assembled again for a single adaptation. I especially like Gyoumei's voice; Sugita Tomokazu really knows how to play these roles having years of experience with them. Even the crow who spoke to Tamayo after the credits (Hayami Shou) is an industry heavyweight.

Since it's a double-header, there's a lot of content packed into the airtime. Some of it frivolous (any time Zenitsu isn't asleep and in combat, he's an annoyance and the Kimetsu characters let him know it), some of it portentous (viewers are not told what Ubuyashiki Amane said to the assembled Pillars, but it wasn't good news looking at their reactions), and the rest of it intriguing (Tomioka Giyuu's refusal to assist his fellow elite comrades is reflected in the arc's promotional shot as he is missing). Story threads started way back in the train arc (Tanjirou's burn marks manifested then, but are only being explained in detail now since two Pillars also experienced the same phenomenon) are now being explored for an eventual closure with several other miscellaneous questions now using this arc as the only platform available to be developed and closed.

Tanjirou's usual post-episode comic skit lays out the stall: one secret for each of the surviving pillars on active duty (so Sound is excluded as he's retired due to his injuries during the Courtesan arc). Including Tomioka Giyuu, that is eight episodes but if the double-header counts the same as a regular 25 minute episode then it is seven weeks airtime with Giyuu most likely excluded as he's been featured before in previous seasons. Much shorter than the previous arcs, which will be a mercy to the masochistic website reviewer that he won't have to sacrifice more of his precious time on this adaptation review. For everyone else, it will be interesting to see how the shorter arc is received as poor sales may indefinitely suspend or cancel the remaining adaptation of this franchise. If it remains popular (with many arguments put forward that the franchise peaked during the Courtesan and Train arcs), then material after this has a good chance of being adapted by Ufotable as a going concern.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 8:00 am Reply with quote
I guess I am the weird one here since I was and am quite hyped for the training arc. The thing is, I liked the earlier seasons most not only due to the beautiful looking brutal combat but also the bond between the characters and learning/seeing more about the setting. With the previous season there was far less of the latter two and the focus was all on the fights with no break in between (which I do think dragged towards the end).

Spending some time not just killing demons but also learning more about the other pillars is interesting to me and since I expect at least a few of them to bite the dust before the end also very necessary. There are also some story questions that I would like to be addressed so not a single complaint from me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 5:24 pm Reply with quote
You ain't the weird one here, smurky. Well, I mean, you ARE weird, of course, but not for liking Demon Slayer. It remains a franchise fave of mine. Great to be back with this bunch and in this world. And as much as it pains me to agree with Zenitsu on anything, talking Nezuko is, in fact, beyond adorable.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 8:50 am Reply with quote
S4, 1:

You know that feeling when you can see a gag coming from a mile away, and when it finally comes, you still end up laughing at it? That's Zenitsu bumping into the new Nezuko. I knew it would happen, and I still found it delightful.

Everything's all hunky dory. A splendid start to the new arc, and without wasting much time before we get back in the thick of the action. I think it's safe to assume that this arc will focus on the Demon Slayers Corps's training and not on their confrontation with the demons. That's perfectly fine; every climax needs a buildup phase.

I guess Tomioka's reluctance to take part in the Hashira training is the main topic of discussion, but it looks like the show will cover that pretty shortly. No need to speculate at this rate. Maybe he will join eventually, and his training will be the key to the puzzle on the demon mark.

P.S. Kanroji makes the cutest squeaks.

P.S. Hearing Hyde in the ED was a big surprise. It's been ages since I last heard his voice. Such nostalgia!
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 6:51 pm Reply with quote
S4 #2

No action at all in this episode (I don't count the flashback as it was very brief). Instead plenty of exposition as the buildup towards a final showdown with Muzan progresses.

Giyuu is always alone, and because he never talks to others no one really knows what he's thinking. Only Tanjirou knows about the secret he has kept for years since his "graduation". Although he has a massive case of survivor's guilt, he has also downplayed the training he did since then. Although it wasn't as high profile as the other pillars, he is more than capable of killing demons now to compensate for his shortcomings during the final selection. It's also a surprising connection he has with Tanjirou, as they both have a mutual acquaintance with Sabito. Good thing the animators made sure to remind casual viewers who he was given how long ago the pilot season aired.

Tanjirou being simple-minded and good natured as he is makes him the only candidate who could follow Ubuyashiki's instructions to the letter. He's also drawn with that comic face of his which is only used when he's being deliberately clueless provoking Zenitsu if he's nearby to lash out at him. It's also typical Tanjirou to suggest a binge-eating contest thinking it can cheer people up, but that's who he is and most around him are resigned to it.

Tamayo agreeing to work with the Corps was a surprise, but not entirely unexpected. She was one of the first to know about Nezuko's evolution and is well aware of the implications. In addition, that brief screenshot indicates she's been alive since the last time Muzan came close to defeat. The mysterious swordsman with the Hanafuda earrings really needs to be properly introduced, he's been teased for more than a season now.

Kochou Shinobu usually has a smile on her face, so it's unusual to see her openly angry. Was it Giyuu who upset her? Or the news that Tamayo accepted the proposal and she had to work with a demon for the grand cause? Her upcoming conversation with her successor Kanao is also one to watch, since viewers know she had the talented older sister who adopted Kanao but not the circumstances behind her death.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11