• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Unveils 7 'Crunchyroll Originals' Works Including Tower of God, Noblesse, God of H

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:25 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
MetalGarurumon wrote:
We didn't have enough shitty battle shonen so now we are going to get the Korean ones.

Nobody wants crappy Korean Manhwa. I don’t know what CR is thinking.

Yeah they need to stick to what people like - crappy anime adaptations of lousy isekai light novels!

Seriously though what is your beef with manhwa?
Dop.L

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Freakangels? I remember reading that as a web comic way back in the noughties but never bothered with the printed edition. Did someone think "Hey, this Castlevania show in Netflix seems popular, can we get anything else by that Ellis guy on the cheap?"

Shall probably give it a watch to see if it jogs my memory as I remember virtually nothing about it but post-apocalypse goths.

Now, if they'd done Transmetropolitan they'd have all my attention!
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Onyx Equinox could be cool. I dropped Tower of God, but the anime should stick to the parts I care about so it'll be fine. And God of High School will be rad.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:48 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
MetalGarurumon wrote:
We didn't have enough shitty battle shonen so now we are going to get the Korean ones.

Yeah they need to stick to what people like - crappy anime adaptations of lousy isekai light novels!

I generally find them uninspiring knockoffs as a medium. I have my own issues with shitty isekai. I’ve yet to see anything like Monster, Berserk, or the like coming out of Korea. Show me something *good* from Manhwa.
dcmc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Like Parasite Director said,once you overcome the barrier of subtitles(or for this matter the generalizations/stigmatizations that manhwa is inferior to manga), you will be introduced to so many more amazing things Wink
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:08 pm Reply with quote
As much as I hate to admit it, I kinda agree that them being Manhwa isn't very reassuring. I tried to get into it as a teenager when I was looking for something slightly different from manga and was pretty disappointed, I ended up not following a single one pass the first two volume. Rather than interesting spin on manga they mostly came off as extremely amateurish manga. Outside of the slight difference in art style, they were hard to tell apart from the bottom of the barrel manga.

And since then I've yet to hear of any big manhwa that would break the mold. Maybe there's just some cultural difference that I can't grasp but I get the feeling that the market is just nowhere near as develop in korea, so there's juts less people who try to make them and as a results there's less standout title (ie let's say one in 1000 manga/Manhwa turn out to be really interesting, well if there's 10 000 manga every years there's going to be 10 good one, but if there's only 100 Manhwa then it's going to take 10 year for an interesting one to show up.)
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:16 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
lossthief wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
MetalGarurumon wrote:

I generally find them uninspiring knockoffs as a medium. I have my own issues with shitty isekai. I’ve yet to see anything like Monster, Berserk, or the like coming out of Korea. Show me something *good* from Manhwa.

That's really reductive. Korea is a neighboring country that has had tons of anime and manga brought over throughout the years. Of course there's going to be similarities in how they tell stories. No need to call them knockoffs. I don't read manwha myself, but if you're not finding much immediate gems, it's more likely because the generic action/adventure type stuff is easier to get popular with mainstream audiences. Same thing happens with anime. If you want something like Monster, you're probably going to have to go deeper in.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:44 pm Reply with quote
JennLegacy wrote:
That's really reductive. Korea is a neighboring country that has had tons of anime and manga brought over throughout the years. Of course there's going to be similarities in how they tell stories. No need to call them knockoffs. I don't read manwha myself, but if you're not finding much immediate gems, it's more likely because the generic action/adventure type stuff is easier to get popular with mainstream audiences. Same thing happens with anime. If you want something like Monster, you're probably going to have to go deeper in.

Perhaps so, but I see it as an inverse case of Chinese LNs, which have been largely as good or better than their Japanese counterparts as a whole. I tried to get into Manhwa, but most of the ones that got fan translated or English releases come off unpolished and amateur fan works. Like the other poster said, it is comparable to bottom tier manga for the most part. And like bottom tier manga, they tend to crank up the fan service to compensate (Freezing). I think if there were better offerings, we’d have heard of them by now because fan translators often keep an eye out for hidden gems to work on.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:55 pm Reply with quote
While none of them look bad, none of them look all that interesting.They either look like the shows you skip past when looking at next seasons shows or in the cases of Onyx Equinox, one of those early 00s American shows with a Anime aesthetic.

I may my issues with Netflix, but when they funded B: The Beginning, they at least decided on something interesting that stood out. And recently Amazon put down money on Blade of the Immortal, a well liked Manga.
Kami-koto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Tower of God is the only one I'm looking forward to... assuming it's only adapting season 1.

The only good thing about God of High School is the cool looking fights. Gonna watch it if it has good animation, since there isn't enough modern martial arts anime.

Not gonna bother with Noblesse anymore.

But it's nice to see webtoons getting anime adaptions. Maybe there's a chance of seeing Kubera adapted one day.
Arundo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Show me something *good* from Manhwa.

Bastard (후레자식)
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:55 pm Reply with quote
All I remember about Tower of God is that, in the mid-2010s, a lot of people on social media (who didn't quite understand how anime production worked) kept asking Funimation over and over again to "make a Tower of God anime".

As for FreakAngels, I read it back when it was regularly coming out, and nothing about it stuck out as particularly good source material for an anime adaptation... but then again, who knows how different it will be from the original work? Might turn out to be good.

MetalGarurumon wrote:
CR is the coronavirus of the anime industry along with Netflix. I don't expect anything good from them, they only make western pandering trash.

Yeah, Rising of the Shield Hero and A Place Further Than The Universe were totally "western pandering trash". Rolling Eyes I can almost guarantee that if you liked a bunch of shows that came out in the past half-decade, you probably liked something that Crunchyroll co-produced.
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:57 pm Reply with quote
History has shown that these types of projects have been mostly "meh" at best. I am keeping an open mind about it all. We won't know if any of these things are going to be good or bad until we watch them.
From what I have seen, High Guardian Spice comes off as Generic McGenricson. Even so, being generic does not mean it won't be well done and entertaining. Only time will tell.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:22 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

I haven't read much manhwa myself, but I'd much rather their originals be adaptions of popular manhwa series that have an audience and people seem to like than American made stuff like HGS or Gen;lock that they've tried to push in the past.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:24 pm Reply with quote
God of H, now that sounds interesting ... oh, you meant God of High School, nevermind ...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4