• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streams 1st Episode of 5th Tenchi Muyo! OVA Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:37 am Reply with quote
Even I was confused by the episode. Maybe the most confusing aspect was that Tennyo didn't really look like she did in her short OVA3 appearance. And then when Tennyo talks about Airi as "Grandmother" (which she very much would NOT like being called) that threw me too.

Well, I mean other than Jovia (?) but that ending seemed to confirm that she's supposed to be a mystery even to GXP novel readers. Kiriko and Seina's daughter? I'm pretty sure that's new to everyone.

NapoleonDeCheese wrote:

Then, despite the cast being so powerful and resourceful they could solve any situation without trying hard, they still plot to send Tenchi's brother away to an alien world with no support at a very young age, basically abandoning him to his own (plot) devices both physically and emotionally. We know he'll be fine because we've watched War on Geminar, but the characters themselves have no way of knowing this, yet they manipulate this boy's life from before his birth to do this when they're conceivably so powerful they could just bypass any rule in the setting and do the job themselves with no major losses. Nobody ever seems to think or point out this could be a, well, cruel and stupid thing to do to a child.

Um, that seems to be exactly what everyone is doing... trying to figure out how to keep Kenshi safe and how to return him once his task is complete.

Tennyo is trying to unearth Kiyone's extensive but incomplete and incomprehensible research on Rea, Washu is deep into studying Kenshi. Rea is talking to Tokimi but it is revealed she can't say too much. And we already know they are training him to extreme lengths without him realizing it.
Everything they are doing seems to contradict the beginning and ending dialogues in Geminar that suggests they weren't providing him with support or a way home.

Although it seems they are determined not to tell Kenshi what he will be doing upon his arrival. That seems weird.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:28 am Reply with quote
This franchise has become so insular and self-referential it’s resembling Western comic books. Complete with needing tons of supplemental material to actually understand what’s going on and zero desire to actually get new people on board. They have gotten so far from what people may have liked about the original series once upon a time that the current product is completely different.

I mean, I’m sure there are enough otaku who follow every single piece of supplemental material to make this OVA series profitable but for the rest of us it’s an exercise in pointlessness.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I've cleaned my hands of anything Tenchi, especially after watching this. I don't understand what Kajishima's end-game is here other than spoiler[for the entirety of all the continuities to mirror his doujins where he's lewded every female character in the entire Tenchi cannon. He should have just done what he obviously wants to do, stop with this OVA bridging non-sense, and turn the entire Tenchi series into hentai]. This also comes from a person that remembers buying the start of the original P-Anime labeled Tenchi OVAs back in ~1994.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:40 am Reply with quote
I think the main issue for why the series has become so convoluted was Kajishima was unsatisfied with how the GXP anim turned out so he took on a stricter control over the franchise and wrote the novels as a remake of the anime so he could tell his story the way he wanted it to be told. Now it seems like the novels are Kajishima's main focus for the Tenchi franchise and the OVAs are mostly now made as promotional material for the novel readers and not meant to be stand alone productions. I can understand Kajishima being unhappy with the GXP anime but I do think it was the shift away from the anime being the primary vehicle for the Tenchi franchise to these novels that are untranslated in English that really hurt the direction of the franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2