• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, why didn't ANN report on this when Sentai's September slate was revealed back in June? Those paying attention have known about them rescuing it 2 months ago.
https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/765378-sentai-filmworks-licenses-moribito-guardian-of-the-spirit
https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/765377-sentai-filmworks-september-2020-solicitations

Anyway, nice to see it back in-print, and crazy to think this will be the third time it's been put on Blu-ray. For those wondering how the prior releases looked, they weren't particularly good, especially the Media Blasters Blu-ray which is among the worst anime Blu-ray releases ever put out.
Quote:
1 MB | VIZ | JP
2 MB | VIZ | JP
3 MB | VIZ | JP
4 MB | JP
5 MB | VIZ | JP
6 MB | VIZ | JP
7 MB | VIZ | JP
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=12568670#post12568670
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:47 pm Reply with quote
This was my #1 title for the 2000s. Great story progression, great characters, great world-building, and spectacular (and exceptionally well-animated) action scenes; the spear-fighting scene in episode 2 would be high on my list of all-time-great anime action scenes. Also a strong soundtrack featuring an all-time-great opener by L'Arc-en-ciel.

Probably the thing I love the most about this series is that no one is a fool. Everyone acts intelligently, thinking through what they're doing and what they have learned and changing their stance on issues if they have enough evidence to warrant it. I am also a big fan of any story that makes cultural drift a key plot point, and that winds up being a major element here.

The only downside on this one is that the pacing may be too methodical for some tastes.

Hmmm, I haven't rewatched this one in probably three or four years. Might be on tap for Labor Day weekend. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:27 am Reply with quote
lemurs wrote:
RedSwirl wrote:
I have the old DVDs but are the Blu-Rays upscales or actually in HD?

Pretty sure it's an early native HD title, but both Media Blasters and Viz had trouble turning out a release with good video quality. Perhaps the third time's the charm.

Their set lists 1080p which doesn't inspire much confidence as Viz's release was the same way and the show had a mixed framerate so when Japan released it on Blu-ray, it was in 1080i (similar to Cowboy Bebop except in that case it was over the show's ED credits) and so was MB's release except they botched it badly and tried to defend it back then.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:29 am Reply with quote
k_dawg_3484 wrote:

I still hope somebody decides to pick up the rest of the novels and release them. They stopped after two of them over here. That, and the Twelve Kingdoms novels.

I second this hope. I first came across the series after volunteering at a Scholastic warehouse back in high school (volunteers basically got paid in gift certificates that could be used to purchase directly from the warehouse stock) and was heartbroken when I finished the second book only to find that none of the others were ever brought over.

Didn't come across the anime until much later (on Netflix, I think), but I definitely remember enjoying it well enough. Will probably pick up Sentai's Blu-ray release when it comes out.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hmmm, I haven't rewatched this one in probably three or four years. Might be on tap for Labor Day weekend. . .

I rewatched it about a month ago. Guardian Enzo, who is also a big fan of Moribito, just watched it all again and discussed it in his blog.

Might be time for another viewing of Hyouge Mono.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2