• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:06 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

But the biggest sin of this show is that Yashahime HATES Moroha! Why do they give her the most abusive childhood and play off her indentured servitude (and everything else about her) as a joke?! Ugh!

Yup. Moroha is the only genuinely good part of this show, and you get the feeling the writers accomplished this entirely by accident, and have no idea what to do with her.
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Then we got to the scene where Towa noted that hugging Riku sure did make her feel different from when “Papa Sota” hugs her.

Christ, that was a stupid f**king line. I don't get it, Towa grew up in the modern world and is the same age as Kagome was at the start of Inuyasha, and the later certainly wasn't clueless about sexuality and romance.
Did Sota and his wife never sit down and watch a Disney classic or Miyazaki film with her?
Did none of the delinquents she beat up earn it by trying to put the moves on her?
I'd get it if it was Setsuna saying something like that, considering the rather ascetic life she's lived so far, but come on.

Quote:
So, Zero and Grampyasha were most definitely getting their shag on, right? The internet tells me that Sesshomaru's mother has already made her appearance in the series, so my initial theory that she was going to be the twins' grandmother doesn't seem like it makes any sense. But still, she's out here calling GDD her “lord” and giving him the “slam my salmon” look throughout the whole episode.

Probably, she's even dressed the same as his other TWO wives, and while he has two wives he may as well have banged the sister of his rival/frenemy too, since he's apparently the MC from Testament of Sister New Devil.

Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Sincerely, this episode was the level of writing I was expecting from this series when it began, Inuyasha was never a master class in writing, killing random monsters while a villain with a convoluted plan working in the shadows as the girls looked for a macguffin with Moroha and Setsuna fighting over petty things while Towa worked as mediator.

That was all I asked.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:19 pm Reply with quote
For the people trying to say Sesshomaru/Rin is a pairing that Rumiko Takahashi would never write. Rumiko Takahashi based Inuyasha off of "Fire Tripper". A manga she wrote in the mid 1980's here is the plots summary. t.ly/HnlO

Quote:
The main character of the series is Suzuko, a normal Japanese school girl from modern times, but has a strange memory of being trapped in a burning house when she was little. One day, as she is walking home Shuhei, her neighbour's child who has recently had his appendix removed, a huge gas explosion occurs.......

However, a young man named Shukumaru comes to Suzuko's rescue. After Suzuko is saved, Shukumaru takes Suzuko back to his village. He's the village thief/protector. Upon their arrival there, Shukumaru gives his little sister, named Suzu, a bell. He also claims he will marry Suzuko......

From there, Suzuko and Shukumaru use the same gas explosion that sent them back in the time the first time to travel back to Shukumaru's time again, and the story ends as Shukumaru announces they have a wedding to attend to.

You can like or hate the pairing all you want. But the idea that Rumiko Takahashi wouldn't write something like that. Or didn't hint at in the original Inuyasha is baseless.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
MetalEmolga7 wrote:
For the people trying to say Sesshomaru/Rin is a pairing that Rumiko Takahashi would never write. Rumiko Takahashi based Inuyasha off of "Fire Tripper". A manga she wrote in the mid 1980's here is the plots summary. t.ly/HnlO

Quote:
The main character of the series is Suzuko, a normal Japanese school girl from modern times, but has a strange memory of being trapped in a burning house when she was little. One day, as she is walking home Shuhei, her neighbour's child who has recently had his appendix removed, a huge gas explosion occurs.......

However, a young man named Shukumaru comes to Suzuko's rescue. After Suzuko is saved, Shukumaru takes Suzuko back to his village. He's the village thief/protector. Upon their arrival there, Shukumaru gives his little sister, named Suzu, a bell. He also claims he will marry Suzuko......

From there, Suzuko and Shukumaru use the same gas explosion that sent them back in the time the first time to travel back to Shukumaru's time again, and the story ends as Shukumaru announces they have a wedding to attend to.

You can like or hate the pairing all you want. But the idea that Rumiko Takahashi wouldn't write something like that. Or didn't hint at in the original Inuyasha is baseless.

Once again you are completely ignoring what people are actually saying. No one said she wouldn't write a relationship. What everyone here has said is that even with her own problems with pacing she writes tone, character, and comedy well. All things this show does not. You really want to make everyone's complaints somehow be about the legitimacy of your one pet topic, and I'm sorry that you believe the quality of the show is what decides if it's legitimate or not because it's clearly getting in the way of you listening to what criticisms people have provided.
pip25

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:12 am Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:

Once again you are completely ignoring what people are actually saying. No one said she wouldn't write a relationship.

That is simply untrue. Not all, but numerous people have definitely expressed disbelief that Rumiko would ever approve of, much less herself write the kind of relationship Rin and Sesshomaru seem to have gotten into in Yashahime, and thus "blame" the development solely on the series' creators.

An example from this very thread:
ThrowMeOut wrote:
rajputaman04 wrote:
I always taught they had a cute relationship with Rin being the cause of Sesshomaru’s character development though I would never imagine it being romantic.

Neither did Inuyasha's creator. She was not thrilled by people shipping the two. Which makes the fact that she is almost certainly the mother kinda... ehh...
db999

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I’m not quite sure how to feel about the episode. I kind of understand the emotions that they were trying to get across, but the characters it’s happening with have just been so ill-defined that it just doesn’t quite land. I mean we didn’t even know that the rainbow pearls were created from the grief that Zero felt after granpayasha died until a few weeks ago. What they’re trying to get across I think is that all of this is happening because of the grief that the villains faced after the Great Dog Demon died and that it’s an attempt to “Save” Sesshomaru from meeting the same fate, but the series waited too long to introduce this and hasn’t really spent any time developing this. It feels like the series is telling us rather than showing us this. I really liked what they did with the rainbow pearls because it’s probably the only example in this show of a recurring element being properly seeded throughout the show. The Rainbow Pearls, Riku trying to collect them, him having his own agenda with regards to them is the only part of the show that has proper setup and payoff throughout the entire series.

I do have problems with Zero dying so easily from Setsuna, but I thought the parts in the underworld were fine. I also have some more problems with the resolution to this episode. Wasn’t the Teneseiga merged with the Tetseiga in The Final Act because both swords were meant to go to Inuyasha? Then how come Sesshomaru suddenly has it again. Did Inuyasha give it back? Maybe I’m misremembering but it just seems kind of off. Another weird thing is that it made Towa giving the silver pearl to Riku completely meaningless. If Zero was just going to take them anyway once Riku reveals that he was gathering them they could have just not had Towa give them to him. The next episode preview makes it seem as if everyone but Towa is going to die, but they’ll probably be resurrected at the end of the episode. I still have no idea how they’re going to end it in 1 episode, but the preview did say next week was the final episode so I guess we’ll see. I don’t have much confidence it will stick the landing, but last weeks episode and this weeks episode were pretty decent so maybe they’ll surprise us.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:10 pm Reply with quote
You think whoever wrote this series was like "Oh yeah. Inuyasha fans are gonna love this sequel. Who even needs Inuyasha and Kagome in the story?"?

If next week is the legit finale, then this must be one of the worst anime sequels next to Toei's Saintia Sho (even the manga author of Saintia Sho had to apologize for Toei)
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:56 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
You think whoever wrote this series was like "Oh yeah. Inuyasha fans are gonna love this sequel. Who even needs Inuyasha and Kagome in the story?"?

If next week is the legit finale, then this must be one of the worst anime sequels next to Toei's Saintia Sho (even the manga author of Saintia Sho had to apologize for Toei)

Given the pacing, the new terms being thrown in this episode, and the lingering plot threads, some viewers (including myself) don't think next week will be the Series finale for good. Because if it was, it'd be way too rushed.

A likely outcome would be a Season finale, with plans to bring the remaining threads into a future S2 and maybe more. Given the series' domestic popularity and good local TV ratings, this should provide their showrunners justification to make this a longrunning series (similar to how Shield Hero's performance was based on streaming view count).

Quote:
Sesshomaru's Mother, whose name is…”Sesshomaru's Mother”. Very creative.

To be fair, that's on Takahashi Rumiko. She never gave Sesshomaru's mom, Inuyasha's mom, nor the Great Dog Demon any actual names in the manga and only referred to them by title. The 3rd Inuyasha movie made its own original move by naming Inuyasha's mom Izayoi, but that was as far as they went.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Another great review James, definitely echoes my thoughts.

Zero doing a 180 on things (this time about the jewels) must just be in her character profile.

Instead of bringing back Zero with Tenseiga, why not bring back Rin directly (again)? Speaking of, we still don't know why she's even there in the first place. Presumably it's to keep her safe, but it didn't do much this time *shrug*

And speaking of Tenseiga, that blade sure broke easily, huh?

Also speaking of Tenseiga, guess Totosai might pop up again after last weeks cameo

I think the last/final being used here is left ambiguous so that it could either be a series finale or a season finale. I'd guess they're hoping for a season finale.
Interesting that the title is Daughter instead of Daughters.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Instead of bringing back Zero with Tenseiga, why not bring back Rin directly (again)? Speaking of, we still don't know why she's even there in the first place. Presumably it's to keep her safe, but it didn't do much this time *shrug*

In the original Inuyasha, it was stated that the power could only be used once on a person. Since Sesshomaru used it on Rin to save her, he can't use it on her again.
Tai92

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Another great review James, definitely echoes my thoughts.

Zero doing a 180 on things (this time about the jewels) must just be in her character profile.

And speaking of Tenseiga, that blade sure broke easily, huh?

Also speaking of Tenseiga, guess Totosai might pop up again after last weeks cameo

I think the last/final being used here is left ambiguous so that it could either be a series finale or a season finale. I'd guess they're hoping for a season finale.
Interesting that the title is Daughter instead of Daughters.

spoiler[ Tenseiga can only bring someone back to life once he already used it on Rin when she was killed by Koga's wolves in the original series .]

Sorry I didn't know some already answered the question.[/spoiler]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:07 pm Reply with quote
So Rin was put to sleep and hidden away to save her, but if you kill Zero, you kill Rin. Shouldn't Zero be placed in sleep and hidden next to Rin. How safe is Rin if all you have to do is kill Zero.

Villains everywhere. Put a bounty on Zero.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Iirc, they fudged things a bit to allow for Rin to be brought back a second time, but I don't recall what the excuse was (I just remember it had to do with Sesshumom, who seems to be the ruler of the Underworld or close to). I imagine they wouldn't try for a 3rd go, but who knows.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:37 am Reply with quote
Anybody who wants to ever write a history must see this series.

It's such a great example how not to do things, specially how the series is telling how to feel instead of making us feel.

So, Setsuna dies, for a while obviously, I ask you watcher... Who is Setsuna?

She is a demon hunter and Sesshomaru's daughter... but that's not a personality, Moroha and Towa do have personalities (even though Towa's change when the author needs), but Setsuna is just genderbended Sesshomaru with no effort placed to make her feel like a character, she is a walking mcgiffin for Towa to run around trying to kill another mcguffin that may or may not "Fix" her.

So, if she dies, who cares?

Make watchers care about your characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 29