• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Urusei Yatsura

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I read this part of the manga recently so it threw me off for a second when the first segment was not followed by Urusei sneaking in at night to get to Mendo's sister. The explosion ending could actually be from yet another chapter but fits really well here.

Did anyone notice the English lesson on the chalkboard seems to be referencing Rin-ne?
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Anybody know when the first ep of season 2 airs?
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Terry Lang wrote:

Did anyone notice the English lesson on the chalkboard seems to be referencing Rin-ne?

I think episode two was doing the same thing. Not 100% positive, though.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:

The next episode airs January 6.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:59 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:

The next episode airs January 6.

Or January 5 for the Western Hemisphere (on HIDIVE).

Also note that HIDIVE decided to put the next cours under a Season 2 tab and adjusted the release time a bit.
Kirki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:39 pm Reply with quote
My favorite thing about this episode was Lum and Ataru reacting to the dirty jokes in the movies. They understood absolutely nothing but they still knew that something was up. They are an amazing combo and they make me laugh in ways that feel so refreshing despite the series actually being made more than 40 years ago. Also it's nice to finally cheer for couples that have actual chemistry and a bit of spice.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Knowing what people have said about Ten before this, I actually quite enjoyed his debut episode. Maybe it's Aoi Yuki's performance or just the general execution.
TsukinoSpoon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:25 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Knowing what people have said about Ten before this, I actually quite enjoyed his debut episode. Maybe it's Aoi Yuki's performance or just the general execution.
Same. Maybe he gets worse over time and the hate for him is justified, but he seemed fine from the episode he was introduced in. I will never feel bad for Ataru getting shit for his antics lol.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:28 pm Reply with quote
TsukinoSpoon wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
Same. Maybe he gets worse over time and the hate for him is justified, but he seemed fine from the episode he was introduced in. I will never feel bad for Ataru getting shit for his antics lol.
I think what most people found annoying about him was ether he was a kid being a kid or he really didn't add anything to most of the plots he was involved in. I thought he was cute personally.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Ten seems fine for now, but seems like a character that you'd expect to be overused and get annoying pretty quickly as the series goes on (as you can find in these older long running comedies). Not sure how it was in the original, but hopefully they rein it in for this version.
chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:06 am Reply with quote
Ten is the reason I dropped the original anime so I reeeeeeeeally hope they dial him back going forward. So far I'm loving this adaptation so I'm keeping an open mind.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Ten was my least favorite main character - I guess I'll call him that. There were a few rivals, but they were minor rivals because they were only in, like, 4 or 5 episodes each? This is the problem with a show with almost 200 eps and this large a cast. Anyway, I think Ten was mostly used to kickstart plots, so I didn't think he was very important, and I learned to tolerate him. In only 30+ new eps, I suppose he'll show up another 5 or so times for small parts, and I think I can stand that.

That said, I thought the movie viewing bit was pretty funny, with the cut-away double entendres. And Sakura's inevitable reaction outside. Wink
TsukinoSpoon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:24 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
TsukinoSpoon wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
I think what most people found annoying about him was ether he was a kid being a kid or he really didn't add anything to most of the plots he was involved in. I thought he was cute personally.
Interesting...I've always wondered about the cultural divide with cute mascot or kid characters in Japan versus outside of Japan. A lot of western Sailor Moon fans found Chibi-Usa awful, but she consistently ranked high in the Sailor Moon character polls in Japan. Or take Shippo in Inuyasha and compare the reception between demographics.

In the case of UY, I've asked friends who've watched the original anime and the the reception was mixed. It really does seem like most of the criticism comes down to Ten adding nothing to the plot. Which I guess is ok?
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:14 am Reply with quote
So with ep 13 it looks like the split format is pretty much permanent, because they've taken two half hour eps from later in the show and reduced them down to half length segments. Not sure I like this. I thought the snack battle bit was good, but I didn't like the mini-spoiler[crystal ball one]. This is the first redo ep where I definitely liked the 80's version better. I think it had more time to work. Though part of it maybe is a bias I have for the original VA who played Sakura, I think she had more of a mature woman's voice, and I just prefer the way she sounded when she was about to clobber somebody. Wink Probably just my personal preference there.

So a split decision for this ep.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:28 am Reply with quote
TsukinoSpoon wrote:
Quote:
In the case of UY, I've asked friends who've watched the original anime and the the reception was mixed. It really does seem like most of the criticism comes down to Ten adding nothing to the plot. Which I guess is ok?

None of the characters added any thing to the plot because there really wasn't one. The manga would set up a situation and have a number of the characters interact within that. This would last for one to four chapters and then everything would return to the base line. The closest thing to progression was when Lum became a student wearing the uniform instead of her tiger skin bikini. The anime followed the same format.

No one liked Ten because he was an exaggerated version of the bratty younger kid that got in the way when you tried to grope your girlfriend on the family sofa. He is intended to be irritating.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7