• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Launches iTunes Store

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:57 pm Reply with quote
*dance* I am unbelieveably happy! Finally a way to preview anime that doesn't involve Youtube! More to do with my iPod! And I can buy whole series that I like, but don't want the DVDs for! I am le thrilled <333
Renocide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Decided on the Samurai 7 series. Very Happy

Download sizes look to be from 260 mB to 275 mB.

I'll watch a few episodes and come back to say a word on quality.
Subaru19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Ah so they finally got around to it. Yay! I can only hope that Geneon gets on the bandwagon. They have all my favorite titles as of late. Still I can't really imagine an anime as lush as Gankutsuou on a tiny little I-pod screen (though most TV series I'm very very happy with)
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Renocide wrote:
ManSlayer07 wrote:
It's an interesting idea. Too bad the resolution is too small for something you're paying for. DVD-rip groups offer dual audio and higher resolutions (640x360 is a joke). We'll see if this affects ADV's download service...

640x360 is great for the size of the iPod screen. I would never attempt to display ANYTHING released on the iTunes service on a standard TV(HD or SD).

640 pixels wide is almost DVD quality. Widescreen DVD's scale down to exactly 360 pixels high on an SDTV.

I bought an episode, and the compression looks really good. The bitrate is almost double what most fansubbers use (and of course, their source is cleaner). If you play back from an iPod or PC (or Apple TV) on an SDTV, it should look indistinguishable from a DVD. If you have an HDTV... you might still want the DVD, but most people won't be able to tell that much of a difference.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
Renocide wrote:
640x360 is great for the size of the iPod screen. I would never attempt to display ANYTHING released on the iTunes service on a standard TV(HD or SD).

This is great. My wife just got me a gift cert. for iTunes for V-Day so I have to figure out which one I am getting!

My mistake, I forgot all about the iPod video. Anime hyper But then again it can also be viewed on the PC of the person who downloaded it...

If you know anything about videoquality, than you would know bitrate is a lot more important than resolution.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
It's an interesting idea. Too bad the resolution is too small for something you're paying for. DVD-rip groups offer dual audio and higher resolutions (640x360 is a joke). We'll see if this affects ADV's download service...

Widescreen DVD resolution is 852 x 480, 640x360 isn't that much inferior.

I've watched 640x360 on a very large wide screen and the image quality isn't bad. I can definitely see the difference between 1080i and 360p, but the difference between DVD (480p) and 360p is rather negligible.

The iTunes videos could unquestionably be better, but I think we get our money's worth for $1.99.

I doubt these, on their own, will have any significant effect on bootlegs, but as I said earlier, it's a good start.

-t
tekwych

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
You also have the season pass option to get the entire season for a flat rate of $38.99. Makes the cost even more reasonable.

And I will say that watching Battelstar Galactica downloads are almost indistinguishable for the DVD box sets. The only thing missing is the audio commentary and other extras.

I will be buying these if only to encourage other companies that this is the better method for digital release. For those complaining about the DRM let me point out that Apple is interested in dropping the DRM if their licensors would agree
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone else having problems downloading the videos? I bought episode one of Speed Grapher, and every time it gets to being 99.999% completely downloaded it just resets back to 0%. I've never had this problem with purchased videos from iTunes before.

Edit: Never mind, I got it to work. Wow, this show really is as contrived as everyone says it is. I'll probably watch a few more episodes just for the off-the-charts creepiness factor, though.

Last edited by Wolverine Princess on Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
NinjaUmbreon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm interested and might check it out. I hope that subtitled episodes will become avalible in the near future. Since most people watch anime dubbed I wounder if that will affect the chances of a subtitled only release?
IdaMBK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:06 am Reply with quote
Definately a step in the right direction - now they just need to get rid of the dub-only, the DRM and the region limitations. ^_~
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:31 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Widescreen DVD resolution is 852 x 480, 640x360 isn't that much inferior.

Actually, all (standard) DVD's are 720x480, regardless of whether they're widescreen or not. Just, if they're anamorphic, a computer DVD player will stretch that out to 852x480 to correct the aspect ratio.

If you play back the DVD on a standard-definition TV, the DVD player will squish a widescreen picture down to 720x360. (If it's a letterboxed DVD, it's that resolution natively.)

So there is almost no difference here for SDTV owners.
sorvani

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
i'm happy to see this. and i'll probably buy the first episode of Samuri 7 to check out quality and such, but i won't be buying any complete series until they offer original japanese with english subs. Not that i think there is anything wrong with the Samuri 7 dub, i just prefer listening to any foreign media in it original format. even if i cna't understand it.

I want to see/hear things the way the director designed it. with only the crutch of subtitles so i can understand.
Jing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
How much is one episode going to be. Question
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Jing. wrote:
How much is one episode going to be. Question

They're $1.99 each.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dust2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
It has been 1 year since the launch.

Any info on how well it is doing? Success? Bust?

Will more anime companimes do the same?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3