• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Black Rock Shooter Gets TV Anime in January

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Ooooh exciting! I haven't been able to get into the BRS craze at all but I think the designs are hella cool! I have my fingers crossed that they'll go for a dark post-apocalyptic storyline like the game.

This could be something really special if done right!
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, I hope they make full use of the franchise's art style! I'm looking forward to this and hoping both the TV series and the OVA eventually get licensed (even though the OVA had subs in its Japanese release), because it sounds like I'll never get a chance to play the game in english, sadly...
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
So cool Cool
I just got my BD copy of Black★Rock Shooter today Smile
GracieMarie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! Can't wait to see it when it comes out! Very Happy
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Time to rain on this parade, but I'm rather apprehensive about a series.

Another OVA or two, in my opinion, would have seemed more an appropriate choice rather than a series.

This now implies we're going to get a story based from an OVA (or worse, merchandise sales).

Count the number of times this has been successful.

It's so hard to be optimistic when history shows how difficult this has been to do for those who attempt it.

Perhaps they're animating the game.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Dop.L wrote:

Then again this year so far the Noitamina slot has consisted of two offerings, one ([i]Hourou Musuko
, Ano Hana, Usagi Drop) more keeping with Noitamina's original remit, and the other more aimed at the more mainstream anime audience..[/i]

Ano Hana was pretty much otaku bait, since it was aimed at guys when the majority of the past Noitamina shows were aimed at women.

But I'm loving this new trend; I guess they just know you can no longer make money by doing a block focused at people who don't buy anime, and its the Otakus who fund the industry. So to keep it afloat, they NEED to have otaku bait anime every once in a while. Kinda like how Madhouse needs a fanservice anime (like Highschool of the dead) every once in a while to fund their other projects.

That's pretty much my thinking as well. Their successful shows are the ones that are the least artsy or experimental, and have more otaku appeal, though I mean otaku in the general sense. So it's not just Ano Hana, which is a HUGE hit and deservedly so, but stuff like East of Eden (SF otaku). Even their past shows that have done well have explicitly appealed to female otaku Wink (though I'm not sure now if they still have enough of a female viewership)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
On Noitamina? Man this is gonna be good.

You do realise Ordet = Yamakan = Fractale :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
egoist wrote:
On Noitamina? Man this is gonna be good.

You do realise Ordet = Yamakan = Fractale :p

No worries. That director quit, didn't he? And Fractale wasn't really awful, people just hyped it too much.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Dumnerd wrote:
Who didn't see that coming?
Seriously, who?
Exactly. NHK World's "Imagine-Nation" announced it last January. All I've ever seen of it was the short clips played behind the Hatsune Miku song that made it so popular on Youtube.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'd better start saving money now for the army of figma I'll be buying for this next year.

Anyway, this looks to be game based to me. The blond girl isn't one of the "normal" characters and resembles one of the Seven Apostles from the game, SZZU, just with her hair down and glasses off (which Dead Master appears to be wearing??). Same hair and eye color and similar crown. It's always possible they're trying to integrate all versions of the BRS story (at least huke's original concept, the OAV, and game) into one story.

Hoping this isn't based on the OAV, I'd rather see that just continue as such. It worked as a high school drama, but failed as a BRS title. (Didn't stop me from buying Mato and Yomi figma...)

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kaizoku00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Whether this is gonna be made of awesome or fail, I am eagerly anticipating this. Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
How Noitamina hath fallen....... Like late-night Adult Swim......... Laughing
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yutaka Yamamoto , the director of the Black Rock Shooter video anime and the founder of Ordet, reported on his Twitter account on Friday that the new project is not his.

To be more precise, he supervised the OVA, but Shinobu Yoshioka is the director.
Taco-chan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Knew it knew it knew it knew it.
The previous BRS sets up a sequel so easily this was to be expected. I would have been surprised if this didn't happen sooner or later. Otherwise, the franchise would have been a fail. I'm excited for this, but they'll probably drag it out as much as possible, like Haruhi.
charizardpal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in seeing what company works on this. If Ordet touches this it will suck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4