• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RE: Fall 2k3 Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:50 pm Reply with quote
darkhunger wrote:
Wow, I can't believe how bad the Kimi ga Nozomu Eien review is at representing the series as a whole... For the record, there're already two "sex scenes" in this "family show". Shows you that a review of the first episode really isn't a very good way to judge a series (yeah yeah you mentioned that already).

Umm...nowhere in that review does Zac say it's a family show. In the very first sentence, he says it's based on a HENTAI dating sim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:

Umm...nowhere in that review does Zac say it's a family show. In the very first sentence, he says it's based on a HENTAI dating sim.

Check the caption for the screenshot.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:55 pm Reply with quote
darkhunger wrote:
Cassandra wrote:

Check the caption for the screenshot.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH!!

Didn't you notice that the picture captions are COMEDIC? Look at the captions for all the other pictures!! Nosehairs? Kenshin? Barbies? You quite obviously missed the humor in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:57 pm Reply with quote
You see, that's exactly my point... All the other captions "captured" and "mocked" the animes quite well, but that one was plainly a *lie*.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:59 pm Reply with quote
darkhunger wrote:
You see, that's exactly my point... All the other captions "captured" and "mocked" the animes quite well, but that one was plainly a *lie*.

No, it mocked it. It's saying when you take a hentai dating sim and you take out the hentai, you get crap.
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:

No, it mocked it. It's saying when you take a hentai dating sim and you take out the hentai, you get crap.

And my point was that it doesn't take out the hentai. So that statement does not apply here. End of story.

Anyway, I know this was a review for only the first episode, but I posted because seemingly EVERYTHING in that review was misleading.

Anyway, no need to listen to me... Look here: http://www.animenfo.com/review.php?id=1243&n=ohjgii&t=kimi_ga_nozomu_&type=anime
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:02 pm Reply with quote
darkhunger wrote:
Cassandra wrote:

And my point was that it doesn't take out the hentai. So that statement does not apply here. End of story.

Anyway, I know this was a review for only the first episode, but I posted because seemingly EVERYTHING in that review was misleading.

Nope. You (and these comments) are the exact reason that Zac posted the warning in the very beginning of the article. But you choose to moan about it anyway.
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:

Nope. You (and these comments) are the exact reason that Zac posted the warning in the very beginning of the article. But you choose to moan about it anyway.

Yeah, didn't I already address that in my first post? I'm just voicing the fact that the review for the first episode is very misleading (I'm quite aware that the reviews for the other anime are a bit misleading too, but I am not talking about those because they are not nearly as bad as this one). That's all.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:35 pm Reply with quote
darkhunger, this is from the top of the article:

"It’s important to point out that these are reviews of the FIRST EPISODE ONLY and are not to be taken as a review of the entire series. Consider this a “first impression.” That said, it’s pointless to say “well, this could get better with time” for each and every series, because that should be a given. Regardless of the first impression, something can always get better (or worse) by the middle of the series, but that’s really not a good reason to excuse (or dismiss) every show, regardless of how terrible it might be. We do our best to provide an objective viewpoint and give you an idea of what each show is like, and you can then make up your own mind."

Yet another instance of ANN forum members disagreeing with something on the site and instead of simply admitting that it's a matter of opinion, they claim somehow it's bad journalism, or misleading, or poorly written, or whatever; they always attack the technical aspects of the article rather than just politely disagree. And they are almost always 100 percent wrong.

I stated beforehand that this was a FIRST EPISODE REVIEW and as such the show could get better or change or whatever else. That disqualifies your comments. You're moaning because you like the show and I didn't. Deal with it in some fashion other than incessantly calling my credibility in to question. I watched the episode. I reviewed it. There's no argument here.

-Z
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I stated beforehand that this was a FIRST EPISODE REVIEW and as such the show could get better or change or whatever else. That disqualifies your comments. You're moaning because you like the show and I didn't. Deal with it in some fashion other than incessantly calling my credibility in to question. I watched the episode. I reviewed it. There's no argument here.

-Z

You watched the first episode and reviewed and dismissed the show as if the first episode was the whole series. That was my peeve.

Anyway, I was just posting so that those unfortunate enough to read that wouldn't be misled and dismiss it without watching it. Because they'd be missing out on a lot IMO. So it's nothing personal.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Is it safe to assume that Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito was also not reviewed due to the lack of a raw as well?

I forced myself to watch two episodes of that, and well, unless you're a fan of the H-game, >.> good luck enjoying it. The fansubers were nice enough to explain the plot in a note in the 2nd ep, and if it weren't for that, I would of been much much more confused then what I was by the time the ep ended. T.T I am never downloading an anime again without knowing at least what it's about.

me in newtype seeing a pic of Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito : "Oh! This one has a girl with a katana... but no discription... I think I'll download it!"
me watching the first ep: "... ok... so this is shoujo-ai..."
me later in that ep: "x_X I don't understand it..."
me in the 2nd ep: "... it's based off a hentai game? o.O"
me later in that ep: "... that girl has a really big chest... AHHH! He's cutting off her clothes! WHAT THE HECK IS THIS!!?? Someone tell me what's going on. ;_;"

T.T I am a girl by the way.

darkhunger wrote:

You watched the first episode and reviewed and dismissed the show as if the first episode was the whole series. That was my peeve.

Yeah, last spring/summer I was rather disspointed with the review on Matantei Loki. The first ep was not a good example of what the series was about at all, and well, it's just taught me more and more that you should never make an opinion on the anime untill you've watched... maybe around 3 eps.

And the same goes for RahXephon. I watched only the first ep, got it in my head it was another EVA, and didn't get that out of my head till I was force feed more eps.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:24 pm Reply with quote
To be quite honest, people, I don't have all the time in the world to watch anime. I didn't like the first episode of Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, and I hated the first season of Ai Yori Aoshi, so why would I spend my time with later episodes of those two shows when I could be spending my time with something I liked from the get-go? Something like Hundred Stories, or a new episode of Naruto.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I'd like to think that it is the responsibility of the producers to make sure that the first episode of a new show at least somewhat represents the rest of the show in general. In a way, most anime companies are really lucky that anime fans are so tolerant. "Hm, this show is boring and I hate the characters, but I heard from a few people on the internet that it might become better. So I guess I'll buy the DVDs or download the next ten episodes anyway." Not that it's entirely a bad thing; I hated Chobits at first, then grew to enjoy it, then I admired it. Shows can and often will change, but the producers run a serious risk in running a crummy first few episodes even IF the show is guaranteed to improve over time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:30 pm Reply with quote
"You watched the first episode and reviewed and dismissed the show as if the first episode was the whole series. That was my peeve."

Actually, I specifically did not do that. Listen to what I say here.

"Regardless of the first impression, something can always get better (or worse) by the middle of the series, but that’s really not a good reason to excuse (or dismiss) every show, regardless of how terrible it might be."

READ this carefully please. PLEASE. It addresses your concerns. I could end every single review with "Well, this could get better, but I didn't like this first episode". If I did that, I'd have to end the positive ones with "Well, this was good, but it could get worse."

What's the point in that? Can I assume you're smart enough to know that those are assumed things (especially since I spelled them out for you in the column intro)? Wait, maybe I can't, and that's why you're complaining.

Once again I have overestimated the intelligence of anime fans. My bad.

-Z
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:35 pm Reply with quote
"Yeah, last spring/summer I was rather disspointed with the review on Matantei Loki. The first ep was not a good example of what the series was about at all, and well, it's just taught me more and more that you should never make an opinion on the anime untill you've watched... maybe around 3 eps."

This one I'll give you. I royally screwed up the Maloki review.. my bad. Rebecca is really in love with it, by the way.

-Z
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
"Yeah, last spring/summer I was rather disspointed with the review on Matantei Loki. The first ep was not a good example of what the series was about at all, and well, it's just taught me more and more that you should never make an opinion on the anime untill you've watched... maybe around 3 eps."

This one I'll give you. I royally screwed up the Maloki review.. my bad. Rebecca is really in love with it, by the way.

-Z

XD Yeah, I know. I met Rebecca in the Matantei Loki live journal community. Everyone went " 8O YOU'RE MS. ANSWERMAN!!"

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5