• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimeOnline Offers US$1.99 Funimation Video Downloads

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
Praetorius wrote:
No one will buy it because it has DRM. Genius move.

So you want them to release non DRM stuff so anyone can package it together and share it on there favorite Torrent site? Rolling Eyes DRM is here whether you like it or not, if your not a fan then buy DVDs, there are plenty of people who are happy that they can watch an episode for $2.

Katrak wrote:
So it costs roughly $50 to watch a 26 episode series. That's not too bad.

It's good to know that some people at least see a positive in this, I mean hell it would probably cost more to get two volumes then to get these downloads.
mskala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote
l33meatwad, you're trolling. Maybe you "used to be" a pirate, but don't assume that everyone shares your ethical standards. I am not a pirate and never was. This isn't about copying; as I said, for me it's about a fundamental objection to DRM itself. I will (and do) buy products that don't have DRM. I will not (and do not) buy products that do have DRM. It's up the the sellers to decide whether they want my money or not. AnimeOnline evidently doesn't want my money.
mskala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
This DRM isn't like Sony's DRM (the XCP), right? The one that got them in trouble that time for installing rootkit spyware on computers. I would think that sort of thing wouldn't be allowed anymore, and would hope it wouldn't be. Anyway, it's different, right?

So, what's so bad about this DRM?

It's fundamental to the nature of DRM that it must install things covertly on your system to prevent you from having complete control of your system. That's the entire point and purpose of DRM. If it didn't do sneaky things, then it couldn't work. Sony's XCP DRM was a little more aggressive than most, but no DRM can ever be different in the way that counts - they all have to use rootkit techniques in order to work. There isn't any room for compromise. All DRM is by definition completely unacceptable.

Also, if you would think that "that sort of thing wouldn't be allowed anymore," you would think wrong. Sony got its wrists slapped, but the DMCA (which legally protects the supposed "right" of companies to use DRM) remains in force, there are lots of other DRM systems out there, they are by definition ALL sneaky, and there's strong pressure in Canada (where I live) for us to adopt similar legal protection of DRM. There's a lot of money being spent on making things worse, not better. That's another reason it's so important for fans to take a stand and vote with our wallets. If we send a clear message that DRM is completely unacceptable, period, then there's some chance companies will stop trying to get away with it. Trying to work through the legislative system to only ban "bad" DRM isn't going to be enough because it implies that there could ever be such a thing as "good" DRM - which simply isn't true.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:32 am Reply with quote
For collecting purposes I'll stick to purchasing DVDs, but if I just want to watch a show and don't have all that much money to spend, this is a feasible option. I've seen all three of these shows, but I think R1 companies should do more stuff like this.

As for DRM, I never really minded (my files always stay on my computer and my DVDs on my shelf anyway) but I understand why people dislike it, whether due to its restrictions or simply the principle.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
As for DRM, I never really minded (my files always stay on my computer and my DVDs on my shelf anyway) but I understand why people dislike it, whether due to its restrictions or simply the principle.

Lots of people have had problems with certain DRM locking up their computer among other things, although I've never had an issue with anything I've downloaded with DRM. But that's really only been about 30 songs from Itunes and one episode of Death Note from Direct2drive, oh yea I do have some episodes off live marketplace for my Xbox 360.
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote
mskala wrote:
l33meatwad, you're trolling.

I am not trolling, I am just stating facts.

mskala wrote:
Maybe you "used to be" a pirate, but don't assume that everyone shares your ethical standards. I am not a pirate and never was.

Deny it all you want, but fansubs ARE piracy. They have never, nor do I think they ever will get permission from the copyright owner. If you download fansubs, you are a pirate, no matter if you buy the show later or not. Piracy is piracy no matter how you name it or sugarcoat it.
mskala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote
l33tmeatwad wrote:
I am not trolling, I am just stating facts.

"Facts" like "I know you're just like I used to be." You in fact know NOTHING about me. You're just trying to provoke argument - and that is trolling.

l33tmeatwad wrote:
Deny it all you want, but fansubs ARE piracy.

I never did deny that. Do you even pretend to read the comments you quote, before you reply to them?
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
mskala wrote:
You in fact know NOTHING about me. You're just trying to provoke argument - and that is trolling.

Those comments all the more prove I know what I'm talking about. Denial is the first defense against something that you know is true. When it's not people just leave it alone, but when it IS true people deny things to put up a front. I am not trolling to cause a fight, my comments were merely conversation, YOU are the one picking a fight out of your own fright.

Keep in mind, you can say all you want "I'm not a pirate" but that WOULD be denial. Ever downloaded a song? Burned a CD with something on it you don't own? Like it or not, it's a white and black situation, they left no room for gray. The fact of the matter is, piracy is piracy, even if you've only downloaded ONE song illegally in your entire life, at that moment you were pirating something, which made you a pirate at that point and time.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
l33tmeatwad wrote:
Those comments all the more prove I know what I'm talking about. Denial is the first defense against something that you know is true. When it's not people just leave it alone

Uh, no. If someone hurls an unjustified accusation at you while all the while knowing absolutely nothing about you, of course you're going to want to defend yourself and deny it.

And you're the one who started it by claiming that mskala was "just like you used to be" without any sort of justification to back it up whatsoever, he defends himself like most people would, and now you're using some sort of faux logic based on warped psychology and insisting that he is that way. And why are you reviving the thread 2 weeks later just to continue a dead argument?
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Just because I wasn't around for a while to reply doesn't make it a "dead argument." Also, I do know what I'm talking about, but I realize that people don't like to HEAR that...I guess it's a thing that comes with age when you tend to recognize things like this and try to point things out, but I guess you young people need to live life and realize it on your own, you aren't going to listen to someone like me who has "been there done that" and does in fact know exactly what's going on Confused ...
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
l33tmeatwad: Thats a might fine soapbox ya got there. Its the new model right? With the built in Troll 2.0? As lovely as it is though, could I trouble ya to come down from it for a little bit so we could have an actual intelligent discussion?

BTW, since were onthe topic of making large assumptions about people based on very little, by the fact that you go by the name l33tmeatwad, Im gonna go ahead and not believe that youre some older guy who's learned the lessons of life and now is trying to impart his wisdom on us young people.

Deltakiral wrote:
Praetorius wrote:
No one will buy it because it has DRM. Genius move.

So you want them to release non DRM stuff so anyone can package it together and share it on there favorite Torrent site? Rolling Eyes DRM is here whether you like it or not, if your not a fan then buy DVDs, there are plenty of people who are happy that they can watch an episode for $2.

But you can do exactly that with DVDs. You can rip it and stick it on a torrent. Its not like suddenly because its downloadable, this creates this problem of pirates being able to get ahold of this stuff. Plus, the reality of it is, this stuff is already out there on torrents.
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:08 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
by the fact that you go by the name l33tmeatwad, Im gonna go ahead and not believe that youre some older guy who's learned the lessons of life and now is trying to impart his wisdom on us young people.

I've used this name for years, kinda hard to change IMO when it comes to internet identity, I like people I have met before on other sites to be able to recognize me Wink!

As for the others, you can tell by their opinion on the subject. "I would buy it if it didn't have DRM," which is a VERY teenage (or pirate if an adult) opinion on the subject (check it out for yourself, I haven't been able to prove that statement wrong yet). Also notice the fact they stick to defending that they are NOT a pirate, they don't mention that they DO NOT watch fansubs (which is also pirating). Using very weak statements to "beat around the bush." I know people like you see it as trolling, but you really don't SEE or understand where either of us are coming from. Keep in mind you have to read BEHIND the listed text, a LOT can be read from what is not written Wink!

[LOCKED because there's too much insulting going on amidst the conversation. -]
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2