• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Proposal of Master Lee - A System For Anime Distribution

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asian Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
Asian Guy wrote:
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
If by buying it you are not supporting the Japanese companies and/or the licensors in your region, then they are bootlegs whether they are legal or not to be sold where you live.

Why it is not supporting the Anime company for buying a LEGAL Anime CD? I think you still not believe that Anime CD price in Indonesia with 2 episode in each CD are just around 3 usd, but only for few Anime available for purchase [ 4 - 9 ] titles so maybe you think all Anime are avilable for purchase for that price in Indonesia or other Asian countries that have cheap Anime CD.

How is ripping dvds onto cds and selling them supporting the anime companies when these are not sold officially anywhere else in the world? And like I said, just because it is legal to be sold where you live does not mean it cannot be bootleg: http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html#legalorigin
There are a lot of countries in the world that have a hard time adopting international copyright laws and their governments allow or do little to prohibit the sale of pirated goods.

When it is legal ofcourse it means it have the license from the 4 - 9 Anime company and not based on the law of the Indonesian government, but still you need to gather more information about Anime in Indonesia and severeal other Asian countries where Anime sold cheap but LEGAL and why they make it available in CD.

[quote="Master Lee"]It doesn't even need to be available for download necessarily . There just needs to be a legal alternative for the people who are currently using illegal means.[quote]
That will be impossible about turning something illegal to be legal since if there is a way to turn something illegal to be legal then the term legal and illegal will never exist, it is a simple logic.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:21 am Reply with quote
What you just said didn't make a lot of sense syntactically or logically.

He wasn't talking about making an act that's currently illegal into one that is legal, and even if he was talking about that you would still be wrong. Just because one law changes doesn't nullify the meaning of legal and illegal as it relates to other acts.

He was talking about getting people who are currently doing something illegal an alternative that is legal (what they would do is not the same as what they are doing now, but should be similar enough that they are willing to do it instead).
Master Lee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see you post again Xanas.

To Asian Guy: Xanas's reply to you is exactly what I was thinking.

(Except, that Xanas managed to say it in a way that was short and to the point, whereas I would have rambled on until I had you confused. Very Happy )
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
How is ripping dvds onto cds and selling them supporting the anime companies when these are not sold officially anywhere else in the world? And like I said, just because it is legal to be sold where you live does not mean it cannot be bootleg: http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html#legalorigin
There are a lot of countries in the world that have a hard time adopting international copyright laws and their governments allow or do little to prohibit the sale of pirated goods.

I'm mainly pointing this out because I don't think English is Asian Guy's first language:
From your own link, I think Asian guy is referring to VCDs, I will highlight the relevant portion:
VCDs
Very few anime VCD imported from the Far East are legitimate, more often than not they will be pirate copies. There are plenty of legitimate live action movie and anime VCDs in the Far East where the format is popular. Like audio CDs Video CDs are easy to copy, making them a prime target for pirates. Manga Entertainment and Central Park Media did produce some with an English dub or English subtitles, but they are hard to find. Video CDs by the UK Company Kiseki do turn up in computer fairs across Europe. Since the quality of VCD is poor compared to licensed DVDs, and you are a lot more likely to encounter a pirate VCD than an official one, we suggest avoiding the VCD format.

Considering the references made, I think this part of the article is fairly outdated. Considering the cost and availability of DVD media, I seriously doubt that CD is still often used in the west for bootlegs. It's POSSIBLE that someone somewhere would get the crazy idea to import cheap bootleg VCDs rather than just make their own bootleg DVDs, but that seems (to me) to be HIGHLY unlikely. I'd also point out that various other things like manga are also cheaper in Asia than in the US. You can get manga vols for maybe $4USD in Japan, to say nothing of China or other countries, rather than $8-10 in America. Just because Japanese DVDs are MUCH more expensive than US, doesn't mean other items aren't cheaper.

Besides, for video quality, a VCD isn't much better than VHS.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I'm mainly pointing this out because I don't think English is Asian Guy's first language:
From your own link, I think Asian guy is referring to VCDs, I will highlight the relevant portion:
VCDs
Very few anime VCD imported from the Far East are legitimate, more often than not they will be pirate copies. There are plenty of legitimate live action movie and anime VCDs in the Far East where the format is popular. Like audio CDs Video CDs are easy to copy, making them a prime target for pirates. Manga Entertainment and Central Park Media did produce some with an English dub or English subtitles, but they are hard to find. Video CDs by the UK Company Kiseki do turn up in computer fairs across Europe. Since the quality of VCD is poor compared to licensed DVDs, and you are a lot more likely to encounter a pirate VCD than an official one, we suggest avoiding the VCD format.

Considering the references made, I think this part of the article is fairly outdated. Considering the cost and availability of DVD media, I seriously doubt that CD is still often used in the west for bootlegs. It's POSSIBLE that someone somewhere would get the crazy idea to import cheap bootleg VCDs rather than just make their own bootleg DVDs, but that seems (to me) to be HIGHLY unlikely. I'd also point out that various other things like manga are also cheaper in Asia than in the US. You can get manga vols for maybe $4USD in Japan, to say nothing of China or other countries, rather than $8-10 in America. Just because Japanese DVDs are MUCH more expensive than US, doesn't mean other items aren't cheaper.

Besides, for video quality, a VCD isn't much better than VHS.

Heh no kidding. I've got the Initial D live action movie on a legal VCD from Hong Kong and the video quality is horrible.

But what confused me about Asian Guy's earlier post was when he referred to these anime CDs as dividing DVDs into 350mb files and putting two episodes onto each CD, which to me sounds like people ripping the DVDs on there computers, burning the files on CDs and selling them. If they're actually VCDs that are playable in any VCD player then they might be official, but if they're video files that you can only play on your PC then they can only be bootlegs.
tacodunort

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
I think it is totally stupid to rip and re-sell fansubs or retail work... that to me (in my way of thinking is piracy...) If I rip a download from torrent it goes into my personal library... And I do rip stuff that is NOT available in the US due to censorship or because I want the ORIGINAL UNCUT Japanese version. So if people hate me for that, well I know a lot of folks for years that have been collectors or this's or that's that have gotten their stuff for 'free' or just outright stolen it... just consider the British Museum, or the Prado... or many private collections of different arts and collectibles... I collect rare and otherwise 'unavailable' anime(s). And I BUY legal anime. However I DO NOT resell them. Nor do I redistribute them... i keeps 'em!!! (as he sniggles and grunts mumbling to himself back into his laboratory dungeon...) and of course I sit resplendent in my little hovel and sip coffee, and eat ramen and bang on my computer and watch anime to my hearts delight. It helps to be retired too...
Wink
Master Lee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
To tacodunort: I presume that this post is refering to what Asian Guy was talking about and not the "integrated fansub community" part of my proposal. Am I correct?
tacodunort

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Master Lee wrote:
To tacodunort: I presume that this post is refering to what Asian Guy was talking about and not the "integrated fansub community" part of my proposal. Am I correct?

hmmm,
Well, when I talk of fan-subs, I guess I would put all subbed work done by collaborative efforts by groups or individuals efforts to translate Japanese track anime into the "fan-subbed" catagory. That anime which is out of the 'industrial' cycle of production and done post-studio production...

Confused
Master Lee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
To tacodunort:
tacodunort wrote:
Well, when I talk of fan-subs, I guess I would put all subbed work done by collaborative efforts by groups or individuals efforts to translate Japanese track anime into the "fan-subbed" catagory. That anime which is out of the 'industrial' cycle of production and done post-studio production...

Ha ha. Alright I suppose I'd better get out my soap box and defend my proposal.

Fansubs, in regards to the Service, would be entirely voluntary. No fansubs would be stolen in any fashion.

The Service would provide a legal means to distribute these fansubs. It would also allow for a faster and more visual way for fansubbers to receive feedback.

Granted, the fansubs available through the Service would enhance the products offered and could cause the Service to earn more money because of it. However, this shouldn't cause too much unrest amongst the Service-friendly fansubbers for two main reasons.

For one, fansubbers tend to claim they seek to benefit the industry or at least promote the titles they enjoy. If they fansub through the Service and the studios make money because of it... they've accomplished this goal.

Secondly, honorable fansubbers don't make any money off of their work. By using the Service they stand a chance to have a fansub become popular enough that it could become, with the fansubbers permission, an official subtitle. The studio may even toss some money their way.

Typically it would be able the same as fansubbing is now. Voluntary and non-profit. However, it would be legal and there would be the chance for money, official recognition, and the usual "fame & glory."

In the end, the Service's use of fansubs would not be piracy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8