• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Announces New Dates for Delayed Anime Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
takiko1999

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
YAY !! My little sister can finally get Kanon 2 and 3 Very Happy
Porcupine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Haruhi did very well in the USA. From what I've seen the domestic DVD sales were terrible (overstocked Haruhi 1 selling at $8 everywhere, then low stock on later volumes, and currently the overstocked box sets are only selling on the ultra-cheap in the $20 to $30 range). Haruhi probably is a huge hit with the fansub crowd, as is Gurren-Lagann. But sales-wise I'd say it ended up a niche title.

Gurren-Lagann I dunno. I think it's the kind of title Americans like. I think it might do well here. Personally I thought it was an awful show, though, having just watched it on fansubs. Maybe the bad video-quality prevented me from judging the series accurately.
calimike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I bought DMC Vol. 1 at Best Buy store last month. I'm disappoint ADV didn't mention DMC Vol. 2 anytime Twisted Evil
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Better late than never is all I have to say. Today amazon changed my ship estimate to Mar 12-24, hopefully this will lower it a bit.
blodz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Razz yay good to hear at least we know things are working out, so hopefully they'll release gurren as well.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine: Actually, the fact that it's still in stock probably means it did do well, because BB rarely replaces shows which sell badly. Plus I doubt BE would be releasing Lucky Star, if Haruhi did horribly.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Doctor Worm wrote:
Quote:
Notably absent from the list...Gurren Lagann.

This is because they're going to include the uncensored episode 6 and not the broadcast version... right, ADV? I sure hope no one at ADV actually thinks that I'll buy the DVD if they delay it and put the censored/TV broadcast version of Episode 6 and get all "Uncensored version coming in SPECIAL EDITION DVD in 2028. lol"

Otherwise I'm fine with the delay.

I'm 99% sure they'll have the 'full' version of episode 6
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I wish I check this site more often.

If I did, I wouldnt have spent my day lost in Boston looking for Gurren Lagann...
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Well now I can get Kanon, Tokyo Majin 2 and Walflower 2. Spring Break is gonna be awesome.

I wonder if FYE's boxset deal will still be around. On their site it says Kanon vol 2 will come out 9/9/1999.

But i'm glad i'll basically be getting Kanon 2 & 3 back to back. Very Happy
I wasn't worried in the least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
The other being Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora, which I'm oddly looking forward to despite never having seen it.
You're not alone in that. (Though I've largely decided that ADV will release this right after Satan starts making his own snow cones.)
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
This is good news. I was holding off buying Kanon until I heard something like this.

Was any ADV manga affected by this? I looked for Yotsuba&! vol. 6 today (it had a 2/25 release date according to Amazon) but couldn't find it at my area bookstore. Amazon lists it as having a 3 to 6 week shipping time frame.

-Murph
BluMeino

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, it's stuff like this are the reasons why I don't buy an anime as it's coming out. I prefer thinpacks anyway and you never know when a company might go under now.
ryoga2pchan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy ADV LIVES!! Time to do my Ed Grimley happy dance!Very Happy
vbann

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
the next devil may cry dvd has not even been announced yet and should be coming out around april. ADV has not even announced their schedule for april yet. As for gurren lagan its probably just a month or two delay.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Porcupine: Actually, the fact that it's still in stock probably means it did do well, because BB rarely replaces shows which sell badly. Plus I doubt BE would be releasing Lucky Star, if Haruhi did horribly.

Problem is, a lot of those were still original stock, not restocks. A Best Buy employee told me (for what it's worth) that they weren't getting Haruhi vol. 4 because the previous volumes didn't sell and they never did get it. I ended up getting it at a different (and higher traffic) BB where they seemed to still have the same copies of Haruhi from between my latest visits.

Anyway, back on topic, not really any good news for me since GL is the title I'm most interested in right now from ADV. If it's an internal problem I can accept that, these things happen, but if it's all just so they can push an HD version I'm going to be pissed. We've been patient long enough, but now it feels like we're being strung along. I'd like to thing it's another problem and not an intentional delay, because the DVDs should be done already and it wouldn't be hard to just stick a "Blu-Ray coming soon!" sticker on the case. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but I know how I'm going to react depending on what the update has for us.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10