• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Announces New Dates for Delayed Anime Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:50 am Reply with quote
HaiKeba wrote:
With that said, I'm going to go accidentally steal some Taiyaki, get amnesia, and have some of mom's "special" jam. Smile

Don’t forget to take your sword into school.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaiKeba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:00 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
HaiKeba wrote:
With that said, I'm going to go accidentally steal some Taiyaki, get amnesia, and have some of mom's "special" jam. Smile

Don’t forget to take your sword into school.

Ah! You're killing me! Smile I've only seen Kanon up to Episode 4..which ended with Yuichi walking through school at night, and spotting Mai in a darkened hallway, her hand on the hilt of her sword! I gotta know what happens! I like Mai, because she is so quiet an non-plussed. Wasn't expecting her to be in school late at night wielding a sword! what a great way to make me want to see more. I love Kanon!
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:02 am Reply with quote
ShinigamiZero16 wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
Well, according to amazon.com, Gurren Lagann is out and for sale.

Hell, my friend told me he had already recieved a shipping notice for Gurren back on Saturday from Right Stuf, so I have no idea whats going on with that either.

As of Monday night / early Tuesday morning (EST) all of the stores listed in the ANN Release list said GL was due Feb. 26th so I'm thinking ADV did a poor job of informing shops that there were delays. Seems like looking at the posts from Bob and Shawne in this topic that ADV didn't really say much of anything until Tuesday. Talk about waiting until the last minute (in the case of GL and other titles due Tuesday, too late for titles that were already past their release date).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaiKeba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:48 am Reply with quote
on the Amazon "where's my stuff?" page, I now see this:

Delivery estimate: March 5, 2008

* 1 of: Kanon, Volume 2 (with Box)
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
* 1 of: Kanon, Volume 1
* 1 of: Kanon, Volume 3
* 1 of: 5 Centimeters Per Second

My order preference is to ship in as few shipments as possible, which is why everything is shipping on the same day..the day of the release of Kanon vol 3.

So, it looks like things are back to normal, because two days ago, "where's my stuff" looked very different! What a relief!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ah! You're killing me! Smile I've only seen Kanon up to Episode 4

The tone of the series really reveals itself from episode 8 onwards. I hope that's included in your purchase.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
I would bet this delay was to remove/change the Anime Network and Newtype adds that were at the start of every ADV dvd.

I thought it odd that the 2nd Magikano disc still had the adds on there for things that had been known to be undergoing large changes in the near future.

Just a guess.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Hmm...well, to each his own I guess. I wouldn't recomend it. I gave up on it after giving it the patented 5 episode rule. Go with Kannazuki no Miko instead as you''d just be waching a less interesting and slightly annoying clone of it right down to character designs if you watch Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora anyway.
Probably, yet I still want it. Besides, if I gave Venus Vs. Virus another chance, I can give this one a first chance.

Plus, KKM was so awesome, a "less interesting and slightly annoying clone" might be pretty good. At least for me.

Conan-san wrote:
As someone who views Key ero-adaptation anime as an insult to both my intelect and women in general, the priority of Kannon over such feets of awesome as Gurren Laggen and DMC is a slap in the face.

Also, the lack of a date for the Jing OVA is another slap.

I'm geting tired of having a sore face for doing the legal thing.
As someone who loves the Key series ADV has released and doesn't find them insulting to either my intelect nor womanhood, I'm more than willing to say ~uguu and nibble on a taiyaki while you apply ice to your face.

Kanon is spelled with one N, Gurren Laggen and DMC are hardly promoting feminism, and ADV probably just forgot to mention the Jing OVA. (Also, it's "feats" not "feets." Feet are what you have at the end of your legs, a feat is an accomplishment or act. If you're going to express even mild moral outrage, at least do it right.)

Sorry if this sounds a little mean but I'm very happy Kanon is going to come out after all and I don't appreciate attacks on a show I very much like so far, especially when I feel they are neither warranted nor reasonable.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Porcupine: Actually, the fact that it's still in stock probably means it did do well, because BB rarely replaces shows which sell badly. Plus I doubt BE would be releasing Lucky Star, if Haruhi did horribly.

Emerje wrote:

Problem is, a lot of those were still original stock, not restocks. A Best Buy employee told me (for what it's worth) that they weren't getting Haruhi vol. 4 because the previous volumes didn't sell and they never did get it. I ended up getting it at a different (and higher traffic) BB where they seemed to still have the same copies of Haruhi from between my latest visits.

I have Vidscan figures for Haruhi. It did okay, it sold more copies than the average North American anime release. But inside information tells us that it didn't sell as many copies as Bandai and Kadokawa expected it to sell.

-t
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
The other being Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora, which I'm oddly looking forward to despite never having seen it.
You're not alone in that. (Though I've largely decided that ADV will release this right after Satan starts making his own snow cones.)

Hmm...well, to each his own I guess. I wouldn't recomend it. I gave up on it after giving it the patented 5 episode rule. Go with Kannazuki no Miko instead as you'd just be waching a less interesting and slightly annoying clone of it right down to character designs if you watch Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora anyway.
I've seen KnM already, and what can I say? I'm a sucker for the Kaishaku stuff after seeing it, Kurumi, Taruto, and some of UFO Princess/Ultramaiden Valkyrie. Hmm, at least I've got Kagihime Eternal Alice Rondo on the same HDD as KtTnS if I need something to tide me over.
Conan-san wrote:
As someone who views Key ero-adaptation anime as an insult to both my intelect and women in general, the priority of Kannon over such feets of awesome as Gurren Laggen and DMC is a slap in the face.
Just curious, which gender are you? Because it seems like most people who say Kanon and series like it are an insult to women are in fact, not women. And chances are, "priority" has nothing to do with the announcements. Whatever the issues were, ADV announced what they were able to work out and release, and if they couldn't straighten out things with TTGL and DMC, that's the way it is. I'm sure if they had a choice in the matter, Gurren Lagann would be their absolute top priority since it's an obvious spiritual successor to their previous "flagship" title, Evangelion. Yeah, as art and entertainment, TTGL (which I have not seen) may very well be superior to Kanon and the like. But in the world of business negotiations, they're called "properties," not "shows," and the fate of something as a "property" isn't necessarily linked to its quality as a show.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Because it seems like most people who say Kanon and series like it are an insult to women are in fact, not women.

I've never actually heard any women say that Kanon insults their gender. Women who aren't fans of the show, yes; insulted by it, no. It seems like it's always guys who complain about the series being sexist. Rolling Eyes (By the way, I happen to be a woman who considers Kanon one of her favorite series.)
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I saw a stack of Devil May Cry on the shelf at my local Best Buy last Saturday and I was hoping it meant ADV was resolving its issues, and it looks like they are. Looks like I'll get to finish season 2 of Ah my Goddess after all, and eventually pick up 5cm! (Breathes a huge sigh of relief)
NinjaVash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed that TTGL isn't on the list yet but, I'm excited to see ADV getting back on track and I look forward to the possibility of TTGL coming out in the near future. If not then I'm learning Japanese and buying them direct from Japan.
HaiKeba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Because it seems like most people who say Kanon and series like it are an insult to women are in fact, not women.

I've never actually heard any women say that Kanon insults their gender. Women who aren't fans of the show, yes; insulted by it, no. It seems like it's always guys who complain about the series being sexist. Rolling Eyes (By the way, I happen to be a woman who considers Kanon one of her favorite series.)

I'm a guy, and I love Kanon! I think it's witty. I think the artwork is astounding. I think the characters are well-developed (no pun intended, lol). I've only seen eps 1-4, but it doesn't seem sexist so far. The story is interesting, and keeps me wanting to see more

Don't tell anyone, but I cried like mad during Air. So did all the other guys that I know that watched Air. They also all like Kanon. But don't tell anyone! Wink
Periodeia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Kanon is spelled with one N, Gurren Laggen and DMC are hardly promoting feminism, and ADV probably just forgot to mention the Jing OVA. (Also, it's "feats" not "feets." Feet are what you have at the end of your legs, a feat is an accomplishment or act. If you're going to express even mild moral outrage, at least do it right.)

I can't speak for Kanon or DMC, but I will say that despite the blatant fanservice, Gurren Lagann has great female characters. Nearly all of them are strong and make for good role models, without falling to stereotypes. And I say this from a female perspective.

Not to mention the fact that the main script writer considers himself a feminist.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
GATSU, if you re-read my earlier post you will note that I said that Haruhi Vol 2-4 had low stock, not overstock. To clarify I meant the regular editions of Vol. 2-4 tend to have very low stock. The expensive boxsets tend to have high overstock still (or zero stock in some stores when it was not ordered), because they are not moving as Emerje and Kruszer said.

Also, this same phenomena applies everywhere. I never mentioned BB in particular in my previous post. But anyway we should probably let the issue drop as it is off-topic.

tempest wrote:
It did okay, it sold more copies than the average North American anime release. But...it didn't sell as many copies as Bandai and Kadokawa expected it to sell.

Yes, this is what I meant to say. Going back to look at my initial post regarding this, I apologize for my wording being too extreme. I never meant to say that Haruhi hardly sold any copies. Of course Haruhi sold more than the average North American anime release. But that's not saying too much. It certainly didn't sell as many copies as expected which was obvious from the $8 Haruhi Vol. 1's stacked all over the floor of stores, etc. So it wasn't a hit anime here, sales-wise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10