• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Announces New Dates for Delayed Anime Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Periodeia wrote:
I can't speak for Kanon or DMC, but I will say that despite the blatant fanservice, Gurren Lagann has great female characters. Nearly all of them are strong and make for good role models, without falling to stereotypes. And I say this from a female perspective.

Not to mention the fact that the main script writer considers himself a feminist.
I'm not very familiar with Gurren Lagann, but going off the character art it didn't exactly seem like a feminist series. (When you don't even have to look beyond the character designs for fanservice, it's usually a safe assumption it's male fantasy material.) However, since I'm a guy, I'm not as well versed in what can rightly be called feminist to begin with so I'll yield to your more informed opinion.

I originally didn't have any interest in this series but I'm intrigued by your post. Blatant fanservice with strong females that could be role models? That I need to see.

Among other things. Twisted Evil Wink
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad this mess is (mostly) sorted out. I'm thrilled that Kanon is resuming and that there doesn't seem to be any delay for the next volume. I'm also looking forward to 5 Centimeters Per Second and Gurren Lagann whenever it comes out (I'm optimistic that we'll be seeing it before too long).

tempest wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Porcupine: Actually, the fact that it's still in stock probably means it did do well, because BB rarely replaces shows which sell badly. Plus I doubt BE would be releasing Lucky Star, if Haruhi did horribly.

Emerje wrote:

Problem is, a lot of those were still original stock, not restocks. A Best Buy employee told me (for what it's worth) that they weren't getting Haruhi vol. 4 because the previous volumes didn't sell and they never did get it. I ended up getting it at a different (and higher traffic) BB where they seemed to still have the same copies of Haruhi from between my latest visits.

I have Vidscan figures for Haruhi. It did okay, it sold more copies than the average North American anime release. But inside information tells us that it didn't sell as many copies as Bandai and Kadokawa expected it to sell.

-t

It seems to have done well enough to be one of the top ten properties of at least one quarter of last year. That's just going by Diamond's direct market sales though, so it may have done very well there but not so much in the big retailers. As I recall, "direct market" means comic shops and specialty shops (maybe online retailers like TRSI?) while VidScan covers major retailers like Best Buy but not e-tailers or those specialty shops. Is that about right or is there some overlap there somewhere?
Akari-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Because it seems like most people who say Kanon and series like it are an insult to women are in fact, not women.

I've never actually heard any women say that Kanon insults their gender. Women who aren't fans of the show, yes; insulted by it, no. It seems like it's always guys who complain about the series being sexist. Rolling Eyes (By the way, I happen to be a woman who considers Kanon one of her favorite series.)

I am a woman also and I love the shows based on Key's visual novels. Air, Kanon, and Clannad are actually three of my favorite series. I don't find any of them insulting to me and I don't see how they could be considered insulting to other women. I loved Air and Kanon so much that I gave them both masterpiece ratings and I plan on doing the same with Clannad as I only rate anime that I have finished. Clannad is actually my favorite show right now and I am watching every episode twice in two different formats. I have actually even considered getting my hair cut like Nagisa's. As you can see I am a big fan of Key. I hope that ADV makes a licensing announcement for Clannad sometime this year. I would like to see all of the series before it is licensed though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Periodeia wrote:

Not to mention the fact that the main script writer considers himself a feminist.

The Japanese definition of 'feminist' is way different than the Western one. It's more akin to 'chivalrous', in other words, being a gentlemen who treats women like dainty little princesses to be worshipped. Exactly the opposite of the Western 'treat everybody equally' feminist.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Whilst there is a whole two instances of Damsil in destress in Lagann, Just about every last woman in that show in one way or another got up, dusted herself off and fought. Often just as well or better than Simon, Kamina or whoever.

Kanon has poison jam.
'Uguu', indeed.
Ahasuerus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Just about every last woman in that show in one way or another got up, dusted herself off and fought.

And if you look close enough, you'll see that each one of the heroines of Kanon did exactly the same. You just have a more one-dimensional interpretation of "fought". I don't want to go into spoiler territory, but Makoto, Mai, Shiori, Nayuki, and Ayu all had immense hurdles to overcome and they did, all without displaying the least bit of petty jealousy or self-pity that one sees in so much of what's out there. Refreshing!

It's just not your type of anime *shrug* For those who cast it off as "just another (fill-in-the-blank) anime", they missed a touching, moving, and deep story that ultimately rewards the viewers who stick with it. Obviously, MANY have felt the same way acording to not only ANN's ratings but many others as well.

We shouldn't forget Yuuichi's own confronting of and realization of the how and why of his own repressed memory and that flash of insight when he did. There's a lot of fighting in Kanon, just not the type you'd expect. It's just that those who prefer the more visceral, action-packed series prefer what they're used to. And nothing wrong with that. This is something completely different, and thank god for that.

And,"anti-feminist" indeed LOL Kanon seems to be pretty evenly split between men and women, and none of the female reviews have even mentioned this as a fault.
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
In this announcement maybe I missed it but did they list Magikano?

The artbox was just released I know but there are three volumes I think in total for that series, and so far the third doesn't show in any stores pre-order list... with just getting the artbox I'd hate to see that be it...

Is this one of those titles like Gurren Lagann which might have news about it in the next update or just one that was somewhat forgotten?
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Ryokosha wrote:

Magikano vol. 1 was released December 4th, vol. 2 on Feb 5th, so I would guess vol. 3 will be April 1st or 8th and ADV hasn't released their April solicitations yet.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Periodeia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I'm not very familiar with Gurren Lagann, but going off the character art it didn't exactly seem like a feminist series. (When you don't even have to look beyond the character designs for fanservice, it's usually a safe assumption it's male fantasy material.) However, since I'm a guy, I'm not as well versed in what can rightly be called feminist to begin with so I'll yield to your more informed opinion.

I originally didn't have any interest in this series but I'm intrigued by your post. Blatant fanservice with strong females that could be role models? That I need to see.

I was hesitant to watch the show at first myself because of the fanservice. But as it turns out, even the main fanservice girl turns out to be pretty awesome, with an actual personality, and her role goes beyond just that of the token "girl with a gun."

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
The Japanese definition of 'feminist' is way different than the Western one. It's more akin to 'chivalrous', in other words, being a gentlemen who treats women like dainty little princesses to be worshipped. Exactly the opposite of the Western 'treat everybody equally' feminist.

I'm quoting the man himself. In an episode of the net radio show, he said "Hey, I'm a feminist!" Apparently he really admires 'cool' women like Yoko and Leite. And recently in the third novel, he wrote Nia (the princess character) as a mature woman who contributed ideas for the building of an entire city.

Conan-san wrote:
Whilst there is a whole two instances of Damsil in destress in Lagann, Just about every last woman in that show in one way or another got up, dusted herself off and fought. Often just as well or better than Simon, Kamina or whoever.

Even the damsel-in-distress remains brave and defiant the entire time. Man, I love Nia. She's cute and adorable and has real strength of character. And I love how spoiler[some of the women become mothers later on], and they're still as awesome as they ever were.

Last edited by Periodeia on Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Periodeia wrote:
And I love how spoiler[some of the women become mothers later on], and they're still as awesome as they ever were.

Please keep the spoilers to a minimum, not all of us kept watching after the show was licensed. Wink

Emerje
Periodeia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Periodeia wrote:
And I love how spoiler[some of the women become mothers later on], and they're still as awesome as they ever were.

Please keep the spoilers to a minimum, not all of us kept watching after the show was licensed. Wink

Emerje

I didn't really consider it a spoiler since it was about the side characters, but okay. Fixed. ^^;
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I guess it just depends on how much interest you take in the side characters. Anime smile Thanks.

Emerje
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Ryokosha wrote:

Magikano vol. 1 was released December 4th, vol. 2 on Feb 5th, so I would guess vol. 3 will be April 1st or 8th and ADV hasn't released their April solicitations yet.

Emerje
Ah okay, thank you very much!

And here is hoping Gurren Lagann will be in the next batch of announcements.

I am still concerned though about Pumpkin Scissors and UFO Princess Valkyrie , one being a series just getting to volume 3 and one being a season with the complete season 2 coming out. There are other older titles I am also worried about but these two also have no news about them yet...

I know wait and see but even if a bit more at ease I'm still perhaps sitting at yellow alert until this fully plays out, as I am not sure it has yet.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Plus, KKM was so awesome, a "less interesting and slightly annoying clone" might be pretty good. At least for me.

I've seen a couple people who've seen both and liked it since the shoujo ai subtext was also there though for me it wasn't nearly as interesting. You'll see what I mean about it litterally being practically a clone if you look at the characters (they also tend to act the same). Only this one didn't have any cool mecha, the main male lead was pretty unlikable, and the way the main character went on spoiler[and on about her "prince" in her diary or letters or whatever made me want to gag.]
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
Ahasuerus wrote:
LOL Kanon .
I belive what Mike Toole said in regards to Kannon is what I feel, "Oh, it get's better at 13? Sorry, not goign to go though 6 hours of pain for that".

At least GaoGaiGar had awesome robots and such to pull you through to the Tokyo abduction arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10