• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What anime would be a good basis for a big Hollywood film?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alestal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
There is a movie of Death Note.

its japanese however.
Alestal

its japanese however.
Alestal

its japanese however.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
legendfunk wrote:

I hear the echoes of 99.9% percent of people saying Johnny Depp.

Why is it every single cry for some bishi/cold/uber hot anime character always concerns Depp?

I have to agree with you there! I'm a little sick of hearing about him myself!

I'm tired of Depp without him being mentioned obsessively here. Depending on the role, most anime characters should be played by unknowns if they're particularly unusual.
AznJazz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I would watch any action-anime based movie, as long as Hugh Jack and Halle Berry are on it. This movie has to involve guns, monsters, and other cool action stuff. Maybe Helsing, never mind Hugh Jackman already did Van Helsing. Oh how about Gungrave, I would watch that.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
AznJazz wrote:
I would watch any action-anime based movie, as long as Hugh Jack and Halle Berry are on it. This movie has to involve guns, monsters, and other cool action stuff. Maybe Helsing, never mind Hugh Jackman already did Van Helsing. Oh how about Gungrave, I would watch that.

Yeah, Hugh Jackman's the only guy that can make fantasy look both cool and earnestly believable. Oh, and Christian Bale. Great actors. They both were in The Prestige with Michael Caine which is AMAZING, GO SEE IT IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY! [/shamelesspromotion]

As for Hellsing, I can't imagine the mainstream reaction to a movie. The level of blood for something that isn't a horror movie, and the fact that our hero smites priests with a gun that has "Jesus Christ" on the barrel.

But hey, it's Hollywood. It would either be revered as revolutionary or shunned as exploitative crap.
AznJazz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
AznJazz wrote:

Yeah, Hugh Jackman's the only guy that can make fantasy look both cool and earnestly believable. Oh, and Christian Bale. Great actors. They both were in The Prestige with Michael Caine which is AMAZING, GO SEE IT IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY! [/shamelesspromotion]

As for Hellsing, I can't imagine the mainstream reaction to a movie. The level of blood for something that isn't a horror movie, and the fact that our hero smites priests with a gun that has "Jesus Christ" on the barrel.

But hey, it's Hollywood. It would either be revered as revolutionary or shunned as exploitative crap.

So true about Hugh Jackman.
Only very rarely does Hollywood pick up Anime as a film. Oh my goodness, how terrible was that Dead or Alive movie.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:28 pm Reply with quote
AznJazz wrote:
Only very rarely does Hollywood pick up Anime as a film. Oh my goodness, how terrible was that Dead or Alive movie.

There was a Dead or Alive movie??
Anyways, that's a movie based on a video game. I don't understand most of the video game to movie adaptations that I have heard of since most of the games that film makers try to adapt don't have much of a story if any to go on to begin with, so it is no surprise when I read reviews of them just to learn how much the reviewer thought it sucked. Most anime would make a much better source material for a movie.

I'd really like to see a live-action adaptation of Planetes with its multicultural cast and how it portrays the artificial divisions we place among ourselves as people, yet when you look at Earth from outer space there are no borders to be seen that divides us. Smile
greedo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
There's already a live action version Elfen Lied. Watch Scanners.

I would have to nominate either Cowboy Bebop or something simple and dramatic, like 08th MS Team. 08th ms team might have had it's shortcomings, but I enjoyed it and I think an american director can have fun with it and make it better. Cowboy bebop, in order to be successful, would have to have a cast of great actors, and a director who both thinks in the stylistic tone of bebop and can focus a cast of actors so they can deliver an appropriate performance. I would also love to see a ghost in shell movie not unlike the original movie.

Death Note, on the other hand, I think would work better as a prime time television show, given it's narrative complexity and long plot. I think it would appeal to people who like CSI, Lost, Heroes, etc.[/b]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:

its japanese however.

I know I posted this 13 posts before your post

samuraiwalt wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Funny you should mention this as I picked up this Death Note spinoff novel (being set before the manga I assumed it wouldn't spoil all the stuff I've not seen/read yet bot oooh no) and was thinking how Johnny Depp is a shoe-in for L.

They're showing the live action Death Note at the San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival March 18 & 22. The only anime I could find them showing was The Castle of Cagliostro.
legendfunk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:54 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
legendfunk wrote:

I hear the echoes of 99.9% percent of people saying Johnny Depp.

Why is it every single cry for some bishi/cold/uber hot anime character always concerns Depp?

I have to agree with you there! I'm a little sick of hearing about him myself!

I'm tired of Depp without him being mentioned obsessively here. Depending on the role, most anime characters should be played by unknowns if they're particularly unusual.

Apologies to everyone about the Cowboy Bebop casting thing, I misphrased it, and it looked like I endorsed Johnny Depp to play Spike (if such a film was to happen). No, I do not support any idea of such a heart-throb Westernised teen idol like Johnny Depp (who many call "hot" and I simply say "plastic" in response), I was just saying that if I was to go out there and ask any random person "Who best fits the character of a suave, laid back and spunky maverick for an adventure film?", knowing the typical culture at this time, that's what I'd expect everyone to say.

I edited the post I made there.

I'm pretty sick of hearing about him too. Can't all the girls get over it?

Alestal wrote:
There is a movie of Death Note. It's Japanese, however.

greedo wrote:

WHAT?! Not enough publicity!! I reckon, Elfen should be the big indie one that doesn't rely on a multi-million dollar casting and special effects budget but still gains steam around the world for its themes or something. It'd have to be Westernised a bit, thought.

Last edited by legendfunk on Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:27 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
sirgalahadthegreat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
My reaction to the thing about Johnny Depp is... Mad . I hate the guy, and will not allow him to pollute any anime franchise, much less Cowboy Bebop.
About the Elfen Lied thing... Question Is that for real? I didn't know that. Can anybody give me some details or point to a place where I can read sth about it?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
legendfunk wrote:

greedo wrote:

WHAT?! Not enough publicity!! I reckon, Elfen should be the big indie one that doesn't rely on a multi-million dollar casting and special effects budget but still gains steam around the world for its themes or something. It'd have to be Westernised a bit, thought.

I think what greedo is referring to is the 1981 David Cronenberg film Scanners. But I could be wrong because I've never seen it or Elfen Lied.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
legendfunk wrote:

greedo wrote:

I think what greedo is referring to is the 1981 David Cronenberg film Scanners. But I could be wrong because I've never seen it or Elfen Lied.

I could be wrong but I don't think there's an actual connection. But it's been a long time since I saw Scanners.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
greedo wrote:
something simple and dramatic, like 08th MS Team. 08th ms team might have had it's shortcomings, but I enjoyed it and I think an american director can have fun with it and make it better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Saviour

Now let us never speak of this again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6