• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Server on its Way

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
space clam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:41 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:

The Fan Server

*snerk*

I'm scared of the new server. It eats computers like my home one for breath mints! And not the kinds that work! I say call it by the serial number on the box. Or "The Beast" (from X, not General Butler)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:57 am Reply with quote
BOB
Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:09 am Reply with quote
[quote="Tempest"]
Molen wrote:

Remember that I'm a network engineer and buying high end servers is pretty much second nature for me.

Okay....Mr. CCNP.
ultrabot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:18 am Reply with quote
Suntory Time. XD
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:11 pm Reply with quote
So is that server up yet?

The last few days, every time I try to visit the site, I keep getting messages about "critical error" this and "could not connect to server" that.

But I think it's only around the busier times of the day.

And have you guys/gals chosen a name?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
So is that server up yet?

Head Aches, Head Aches, Head Aches.

My receiving the server was delayed while the vendor waited on backordered memory (low profile memory for 1U server).

After Receiving the Server, I delayed sending it by two business days (with a weekend in there) because of other things I had to take care of (my vendor wouldn't ship to the US).

Finally, I went to ship it yesterday, and my preferred shipping agent told me it would cost $350 to ship the server... BLAH!

So I looked into alternates and shipped it today for a much more reasonable $106. It should arrive in Houston on Friday (but Monday or Tuesday are possibilities if it gets held up at customs).

There was a bit of extra paperwork to fill out. Since its electronic equipment I had to fill out a paper for the FCC (despite the already exising FCC label on the outside of the box), and since it was worth more than $1k there was an additional customs form to fill out.

I shouldn't end up paying duty since 1) It was manufactured in the USA and 2) Its a "temporary" importation (although temporary generally refers to a couple weeks where this refers to 24-36 months). (3: it may also be covered by Nafta, not sure).

Hopefully everything will go smoothly with customs.

Quote:
So have you decided on what the name of the server will be?

Nope.

Quote:
Okay....Mr. CCNP.

LOL, no. Although I would expect any CCNP to know this stuff, the CCNP itself is in no way an appropriate indication of a person's knowledge with PC hardware (server or otherwise). My certs are all expired, but a CCNP was never one of them to begin with... change the N and you'll be closer....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3