• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaiba (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely on my must-see list. The retro, Tezuka-ish designs along with a beautiful and intriguing story just exclaim "must-see" to me. heh The design and story seem like a very interesting juxtaposition. Plus, the OP is really lovely. I've only seen some clips of Mind Game, but Masaaki Yuasa definitely strikes me as something of a visionary.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I watched episode one raw and really digged the retro style. Have yet to see Mind Game or Kemonozume (please don't shoot me), but this series definitely looks like it will be worth my while. I also think the OP is one of the best this season.

I hope Kaiba gets subbed soon and that a lot of people decide to check it out. Smile

OMG! you haven't watched Mind Game yet(that's what you said to me about Ghost Hound.lovin it,by the way)Mind Game is really worth your time.

Kaiba was a kind of pen and paper,nostalgic,mind-trip for me.I grew up with family that work on artwork and animation,and I used to see paper tests and random ideas in this kind of style,all the time.)I really dig the OP and ED song too.Can't wait for some kind of subtitle.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
The retro style highly appeals to me (I am also a big Tezuka fan), and the opening song didn't chase me away. I will need to remember to look into this in a few weeks or so again.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I actually sat down and watched this raw early this last week. Very engaging visually/aurally. !! Subs are coming from a group-- supposedly should be out some time soon.

Truthfully, this is the only show I'm really excited about this season. I didn't watch anything in winter-- sadly, the new WMT production isn't being subbed, which I was excited about. I'm curious about Himitsu and Real Drive, but am waiting for subs as well. Whatever the case, this is the only show that has the flavor of actually being someone's real brain-child, and those sorts of idiosyncrasies are appealing.

It looks to be challenging intellectually and aesthetically, which is what I watch stuff for. Good stuff.

BTW, Cloe, it's nice to see you around again. I haven't seen you post in ages. Of course, neither have I really.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:
BTW, Cloe, it's nice to see you around again. I haven't seen you post in ages. Of course, neither have I really.

Steve! I can always count on you dropping by my threads. It's nice to see you again, too. Smile Yeah, I've been somewhat detached from animation (at least when it comes to Japan) over the past few months, pretty much ever since people stopped talking about Dennou Coil. But then Yuasa showed up and dragged me back into the obsessive fandom I thought I'd finally escaped forever. C'est la vie. A lot of credit should go to neilworms, as he's the one who told me about Kaiba in the first place and got me all excited.

HellKorn wrote:
And going off-topic a bit: Cloe, did you ever watch Mononoke from last year? I touted it a while ago as being one of the most stunning things I've ever seen; if not for the slight misstep at the end, it probably would've ended up as my all-time favorite anime. Ben from AniPages has a fantastic write-up covering up to the end of the fourth arc.

I haven't seen it yet! Like I mentioned to Steve, I've fallen almost completely out of the loop since, like, August (I've recently been focusing on collecting older OOP DVDs and more obscure licensed titles and pretty much ignoring the fansub scene, like a chump). I'll be sure to check out Mononoke ASAP, though, since anything that shows up in the Anipages is worthwhile.

As far as this season goes, I'm also in the "Kaiba is the only title I'm really interested in" camp. I'm kind of curious to watch Soul Eater because of its unique visuals and style, but I don't know if I'll be able to get into the premise. And I'm totally a Macross fangirl, but haven't gotten around to checking out Frontier yet for some reason. I've always been more of a wait-until-the-end-of-the-season-and-DL-just-the-good-stuff person anyway, so I tend to be pretty quiet when it comes to brand new shows, unless it's something I'm extremely excited about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
the first episode sub is finally out.

that was... weird. seriously, there's really not a whole lot to say about it. the main character barely has any dialogue, and the setting is just surreal. kinda reminded me of Aeon Flux. kept me interested enough to watch the next episode though.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
Very surreal indeed and it's quite remarkable what they were able to achieve visually with the artwork and animation. I can only imagine what it was like for the creator to come up with the idea for this show and pitch the idea to a studio, but I guess Masaaki Yuasa has had enough successes and acclaim with his work to warrant the production of such an unusual show. It already wins the award for the most unique visual style this season in my mind. I'm definitely looking forward to the next episode.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, interesting....... very odd series indeed. Of course I've gained a taste for pretty weird stuff over the years, so it's all good. Smile I don't think I would have liked this about 3 or so years ago though. I'm definitely going to continue this though, out of curiosity at the very least. I could barely tell what was going on half the time, but there's just some kind of feeling about this series that's making it very apealing to me right now.
Jih2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode, weird but in a good way. Some of the CG appeared to be of low quality, especially when it was used as a backgroung but I'm definitely going to continue watching this series, it could have been written better but it's just a nice, relaxing and fun show. Can't wait to watch the next episode and I really hope this gets licensed in North America.

...and I still haven't seen Mindgame!
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Didn't ADV license this show last month, if not before than?

EDIT- Oops, ADV licensed Kiba, not Kaiba, another show animated by Madhouse.

Last edited by Primus on Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Didn't ADV license this show last month, if not before than?

Huh? Do you mean Kiba?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, right after I posted that I realized ADV licensed Kiba, and obviously not Kaiba.
Neilworms

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A lot of credit should go to neilworms, as he's the one who told me about Kaiba in the first place and got me all excited.

Thanks for the props! I try all I can to promote the work of some of the worlds greatest artists who work in animation...

Yuasa blows me away everytime, an animator friend told me that upon seeing kaiba he was reminded why he decided to choose his path.

I for one, can't wait to see more of this series, it appears to be a departure for Yuasa who normally gets material that is a bit more simple than this, but on the other hand, it appears that he can pull something this otherworldly off with aplomb.

(now if only the hipster guy from seattle were here, we'd totally have a reunion, I can't even remember his name...)
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:00 am Reply with quote
To be honest I wasn't as excited about this series as I probably should have been since Kemonozume was a slight disappointment for me (its tough to follow-up something like Mindgame), but that first episode was orgasmically awesome. I can't remember the last time I saw animation as purely imaginative as that; to be quite frank, I'd almost call it visionary. If Yuasa and co. nail the plot and pacing then this could be very, veeeeery good...

A little off-topic: I don't know if anyone played PC games in the 90's but there was this obscure little gem called "The Neverhood." It was one of those adventure games like Monkey Island that no one makes anymore, where the writing and the story were more important than the gameplay (which was basically point-and-click puzzles). The whole thing was done in claymation by Doug TenNapel and had this really weird, dream-like feeling to it. Anyways, my point is that the first thing that popped into my head when watching Kaiba was The Neverhood. I'm guessing it was the way Kaiba's backgrounds are drawn that triggered my memory, and now that I think about it both definitely share a similar tone. Just an interesting little observation.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:40 am Reply with quote
Neilworms wrote:
(now if only the hipster guy from seattle were here, we'd totally have a reunion, I can't even remember his name...)

jfrog!!!! Anime hyper

I still talk with him pretty frequently. Maybe I can convince him to wander around these parts again so we can collectively praise Yuasa until we're all blue in the face.

I watched the first episode and was completely impressed, but I'm too tired (it's 1:30am and I have work tomorrow) to write my thoughts now. I'll save my little spiel for tomorrow when I have more energy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9