• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: The Confessional

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
silver_omicron wrote:
I'm about to go out on a limb.

Chances are, if you hate Melancholy, you loathe Evangelion. And if you hate these two, I can imagine a few more Anime fall into your category of 'despicable'.
/sigh

Loathe Evangelion. Love Haruhi. The two are not at all similar so I wonder why you would think this. I'm assuming your logic was that people hate anything popular. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I might give the answer fan topic a shot this week. Doesn't look like a lot of people are going to go with the Masterpiece opinion so I might actually have a shot.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
silver_omicron wrote:

Chances are, if you hate Melancholy, you loathe Evangelion. And if you hate these two, I can imagine a few more Anime fall into your category of 'despicable'.
/sigh

Loathe Evangelion. Love Haruhi. The two are not at all similar so I wonder why you would think this. I'm assuming your logic was that people hate anything popular. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I might give the answer fan topic a shot this week. Doesn't look like a lot of people are going to go with the Masterpiece opinion so I might actually have a shot.

They original comment was: If A, then B.
You responded that like Haruhi (Not A), but dislike Eva (B). It doesn't inherently disprove the statement. Besides, I believe the point that silver_omicron was getting at was lots of people hate shows just because they're popular. (There's also a not quite similar situation of a show not living up to the hype).
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Moving on from the Eva/ Rahxephon debate, my opinions of the Top Ten:

1. FMA- A fun and engaging series so far. I keep wanting to see each new episode coming along. Currently watching the entire series which I have on DVD.

2. Cowboy Bebop- I love the music and some of the filler episodes. But I didn't get too deeply attached to the characters. I don't rewatch the series very often.

3. Bleach- Seen a few episodes, but quickly lost interest.

4. Evangelion- Read my earlier post.

5. Naruto- A shounen title which hooked me in for its action scenes. Everything else in the series was a waste of time since it was generic.

6. FLCL- One of my personal favorites due to its utter insanity. Like rewatching it now and then.

7. Trigun- Liked the mix of action and comedy, seen it on Adult Swim.

8. Princess Mononoke- Liked the feudal era twist on Nausicaa's themes of environmental awareness, strong-willed and independent heroines, and villians with depth.

9. Inuyasha- Crazed over it in my early days of anime fandom. Now, I don't have anything to do with it.

10. Death Note- Seen a few episodes on Adult Swim. I would like to see more of the series at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Ryllharu wrote:
I find it far more easy to empathize with Ayato, Haruka, Megumi and Asahina (19, truly a moving episode) than with Asuka and Shinji. Asuka and Shinji come off as exaggerations, while the four from RahXephon come off as people.

...and the fact that 80% of the character development does not need to be provided by the audience doesn't hurt either.

I find the exact opposite. Ayato and Haruka are exceedingly flat characters saved by a well developed supporting cast (Megumi and Kunugi come to mind). Shinji and Asuka are far from exaggerated, and their development is more subtle (and is definitely existent, not merely supplied by the audience so much as inferred). Motivations in RahXephon are (especially in Haruka's case) entirely transparent at every moment. This may more easily foster empathetic connection that Evangelion's cast, but it certainly doesn't add depth. On the other hand, Evangelion's supporting cast (including Toji, Kensuke, Hikari, and Kaworu) is certainly less developed than that in RahXephon.

RahXephon's a good show. It's visually stunning at times, and I enjoy the direction and music. But I have never thought that it was better than Evangelion.

One more thing. Is there any source for the claim that going over-budget or running out of budget forced the lower animation quality of episodes 21-26? I know you can respond "Of course! Look at it!" but the co-director said that "the production schedule was a mess", and I've thought that that, more than budget problems, was the reason. I have never seen any reliable citation for the budget claim, and a rushed production schedule would certainly explain it entirely.

And anyway, the scene referred to above was one minute (almost exactly), not two. This was done at two other points in the show, for about the same amount of time: in Episode 4 and in Episode 22. I don't think that it was (at least, not entirely) a concern over saving money. After all, once the cels were drawn, it would be just as easy to cut between a few of them repeatedly.

To close, Beethoven's 9th Symphony is enough reason for that scene to continue the way it did.
aijinohane

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I think Princess Mononoke is my favorite Miyazaki film and one of my favorite films period for the primary reason that the man just can't seem to offend the non-environmentalist in me, no matter how much green he packs into a film--and Mononoke comes with quite a lot. I think I'm just bowled over by how beautiful his worlds are and I really appreciate the fact that he doesn't put the message before the art. There's nothing worse than someone who begins building a story with nothing else in mind but a sermon they want to preach. Miyazaki's works seem to me to be organic wholes (eh heh...pun), built lovingly by a man who has all their parts in mind from the beginning.

Oh, and I definitely cried when Ash "died," too. Apparently an entire generation did. Laughing Ah, Butterfree leaving just destroyed me...
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Here's a little confession of mine I'm not too proud of right now: I was one of the ones last week who spammed the thread with my confessional shot at Evangelion. Anime smile + sweatdrop (I couldn't help it!) All my other confessions I thought were okay though. Opinions most of them, yeah, but opinions that seem to be different than the general way of thinking in those areas nonetheless, and thus confessions in my book. Wink But eh, while I could care less I didn't get in this column with any of mine anyways I'm just glad my minor little Eva rant didn't get on there. Anime smile + sweatdrop (though I'm not sure I see any reason why anything I said last week would've gotten on there anyways...... I just feel bad that I have the shame of considering myself one of the people Zac was talking about Anime smile + sweatdrop ) Really though, I exaggerated with it quite a bit anyways. I think it's overrated, yeah, but it's FAR from being a terrible series. It's just FAR from being one of the best ever at the same time is all.

Anyways, I guess I'll join in with my views on the top 10 most viewed series here on ANN (sorry if these are a bit more long winded than others have been Anime smile + sweatdrop):

1. Fullmetal Alchemist (TV) - Do I even have to explain? Wink Yes, I do I guess. Anime smile + sweatdrop Anyways, if you haven't guessed already, yes, I have indeed seen it all and yes, it is one of my all time favorite series. My #2 in fact. Loved the movie (though not as much as the series) and the manga is every bit as good as the series, if not just very, very slightly moreso. I do think that most of the negative flack for it comes from the fact that it is indeed a shounen series (and I know for a fact the kind of negative flack shounen gets all over the place), but the thing is it's an incredibly well written, very deep and profound and at times quite thought provoking shounen series nonetheless. Add on the fact that shounen is my favorite genre and that of course bodes very well for me. Wink

2. Cowboy Beebop (TV) - Seen all, and honorable mention for me. Honestly I don't think it's quite as good as everyone puts it up there to be, but it's still pretty dang good. I'm very much not a fan at all of episodic series so that of course bugged me quite a bit about it, but the episodes themselves really are pretty darn good. Plus that and the actual plot that it does have (basically the episodes pertaining to Julia and Vicious and the syndicate, as well as some of the character episodes) I just absolutely adore. I think if the series as a whole followed that plot entirely rather than had all of the episodic episodes, I probably would have liked it a whole lot better.

3. Bleach (TV) - Seen all (as far as it's aired/released chapers for anyways). I can't help but think that this series is maybe a tad bit overrated (I have no clue why people even consider it to be better than Naruto...... ) but still a great series deserving of it's popularity. One of my top 10 favorites in fact. It's got some of the best filler out of any of the anime versions of shounen series (though still fairly poorly handled) and the actual cannon manga material story actually has a lot of brilliantly written ideas to it, Tite Kubo just doesn't take full advantage of them and doesn't pay nearly enough attention to them is all. But even then, it just simply at it's deepest roots is just a really really cool series! Cool Even though I do indeed wish he'd pay more attention to the story then all these insane fight sequences, I still love his fight sequences a whole lot nonetheless. They're just really fun, cool, and exciting. Plus that and Tite Kubo, especially with this sereis, I swear is one of the most imaginative and inventive manga-ka's out there.

4. Neon Genisis Evangelion (TV) - Seen all. Like I said above, FAR from being one of the best series ever, but FAR from being a terrible series either. I loved it for being as brilliantly thought provoking and deep with it's characters as it was, but the rest of the series is just a mess. End of Evangelion was WAY better, and I think if the entire series had been handled more like it was (and thus would have had no purpose to do EoE in the first place) it definitely would have been the epic masterpiece that it's claimed to be. The plot structure is just way too all over the place, too episodic at times (at least for the first part of it anyways). Simply put, it's just a really, really horribly structured series. And the characters, no matter how deep, intricate and incredibly well rounded they are, I just absolutely hate. Exactly the same thing for the main theme of the series. It's mostly just a personal preference, but I just don't like how pessimistic and negative it/they is/are.

5. Naruto (TV) - My #1 favorite series of all time! Anime hyper Like with Bleach, I've seen it as far as it's been released anyways. Okay, so maybe it's maybe a tad bit overhyped, that's for sure. But overrated? Not by a longshot! In fact if anything it's underrated. I mean sure, it's not the best thing since sliced bread or anything like that, and yeah, sometimes the fandom for it goes a little to far, but it's FAR from being any kind of terrible series. In fact, as far as I'm concerned it's the #3 best shounen series of all time (FMA #1, Kenshin #2, Shaman King #4 and One Piece #5). I just think, for a series of it's calibur anyways, it actually is surprisingly a lot deeper a series than most people would think, with some pretty fairly well-rounded characters and an intriguing, well written plot (once again, for a series of it's calibur anyways). I also think it's a series a lot of people can relate to very closely, which I think is one of the main reasons for it's popularity, which in turn I really think gives it a ton of heart and inspirational value. In fact I don't think there's too many series out there that I've ever felt as invigorated by as I have by Naruto. Not to mention it indeed does have it's moments of shounen fighting cool as well. Cool I think what the best thing for me to say here is that it's very well deserving of it's popularity, but I do think there are series out there equally deserving of it's popularity that kind of get's shunned by it, which is indeed a great shame. And I could probably go on and on about how much better the manga is because of filler and dragging out and what not, but I think I've said more than enough already. Anime smile + sweatdrop

6. FLCL (OVA) - Seen all. Ha ha ha! Laughing In a lot of ways that's really all I have to say about it. Wink But outside of that fact it's actually, quite surprisingly fairly deep, complex and well written. It's even quite surprisingly emotionally powerful at times for heaven's sake! Shocked I really think though that what I like most about it is how unbelievably and insanely innovative this series is, and just how off the wall hilarious it can be because of it! Which the surprising thing about it is that at first, I actually thought this was one of the worst pieces of brainless garbage I had ever seen until I not only decided to keep giving it a try, but also to watch it again at an eventual point, when I was able to understand it a whole lot better. That's what upped my ratting for it from Excellent to Masterpiece in fact. Definitely a top 25er for me.

7. Trigun (TV) - Seen all. I don't know that I have all that much to say about it other than the fact that it's definitely also a top 25er for me. It was one of the very first "mature" series I'd ever seen (also my first ever Adult Swim series as well), and it had me hooked from the first time I saw it. Funny thing is, when I first started out watching it I came in about the same time it turns from insanely hilarious to just downright dark and dead serious so I was actually very shocked when I went back and watched the more comedic episodes and saw just how hilarious it was at the same time! Laughing I of course was more intrigued by it's story and characters (most specifically it's main Wink ) than anything else though.

8. Princess Monnonoke (movie) - I don't know if I can vouch for this as Miyazaki's best work, but definitely my favorite of his, no doubt. And even then it's certainly one of his best. Also my 2nd favorite all time movie, second of course only to Akira.

9. Inuyasha (TV) - Seen all. Not much to say here, once again. I thought it was an alright series. Nothing special, definitely far from being one of my favorites, but an alright series nonetheless. It definitely isn't a terrible series, that's for sure. Although if it didn't have a crappy ending and if it didn't have so much dumb filler, basically if it were more like the manga, I probably would have liked it more. The Manga is indeed on my honorable mention list though.

10. Death Note (TV) - Seen all. Once again another top 25er for my favorites list. I think it's got a very entertaining and excitingly epic plot, and at times can be very thought provokingly deep, which is what I like about the series in the first place. Definitely a great series, no doubt, but at the same time definitely far from being even the best of shounen series out there. In fact I'm not even all that sure you can even call it a shounen series at times. I mean it is, but at the same time it kind of isn't if you know what I mean. I just feel too much like it defies everything that makes shounen such a special genre. In fact, if it wasn't a shounen series in the first place I'd probably like it more than I already do, probably even acknowledging it as a better overall series than I do. But even then, I think it lacks the kind of character depth/background and emotional power that I wish it had. It had every potential to be as such, but it just never lived up to any of it which was slightly disappointing for me. The manga and anime in my view are practically the same though, although I will admit the anime tends to overblow things quite a bit, trying to make it appear as if it's a deep, profound and emotionally powerful series when in all actuality it isn't all that much.
Reno-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
1. FMA- I enjoyed the first half, then I felt it went downhill. I hate the movie with a burning passion.

2. Cowboy Bebop- Really great all around, the music and slick animation make the show. Only disliked two episodes.

3. Bleach- I watched the first ~7 episodes and failed to get into it.

4. Evangelion- Saw the entire thing and enjoyed it...INCLUDING the last two episodes.

5. Naruto- I've seen maybe 10-15 random episodes. Are so many flashbacks really necessary?

6. FLCL- This was an incoherent mess and I finished it only because of rave reviews. I want my time back.

7. Trigun- Bought it, watched it, want my money back Mad

8. Princess Mononoke- I thought this was the best thing ever when I was in high school, but it's too preachy for me - and I'm a scientist who's environmentally aware.

9. Inuyasha- I enjoyed this to a point and gave up when I got sick of the repetition.

10. Death Note- This holds the honor of being the only Madhouse adaption of a manga I like (well...up to volume 7) that I *didn't* like. It's just too cheesy.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Ryomanagare wrote:
TheVok wrote:
Yeah, these ones weren't confessions either:
Quote:

Drew Bouncer:
"I hate Sharon Apple. I hate her looks. I hate her songs. I hate her fan base. I hate everything about her."

None of these opinions is in any way surprising, ironic, unusual, self-effacing or self-deprecating. They're sometimes somewhat clever, but clever does not a confession make.

You don't know who Sharon Apple is do you?

Yup. Watched Macross Plus way back in late 1997 and early 1998.
Anime_cow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Okay today's question. Let's see I'm doing this based of what I know of the light novels/manga/anime all together. Anime catgrin

Although Haruhi is one of the most popular shows/light novels/manga things I don't really see how they are thinking sometimes. What is the point of broadcasting it out of order if they are going to refer to things that has happened before chronologically? Why in the world do you give someone who only showed up once a character song (Emri) Because If you were going to make a second season you could have waited until then. now the main characters are Haruhi, Kyon, Mikuru, Yuki, Itsuki. This was proubably ment to make you think a little bit with it's 'go' and 'the world' speak but it just makes it all the more weird. if you give someone like yuki so much power to which she can spoiler[stop time and create space and jazz] wouldn't be easier to just get rid of time travelers because aliens can already do that. Yuki could proubably finish this off herself if the creator put her up t it. BUT, of corse they didn't becuse then there would be no story. Itsuki's existence doesn't make any sence because why would those spoiler[ things run wild in her mind and destroy things] because if she was truly angry couldn't she just make one appear in the real world. People make such a big deal about this when the obvious things are overlooked. It's good but it's very overrated. Not saying I don't like it, I find it quite entertaining but it should proubably be considered a few times before you just say it's a masterpiece.

Yeah the rest is kind of unexplainable. because it's like you know it's like this but why not this and this should have been this but I'm no good with words so it's unexplainable. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Anime_cow wrote:
Okay today's question. Let's see I'm doing this based of what I know of the light novels/manga/anime all together. Anime catgrin

Although Haruhi is one of the most popular shows/light novels/manga things I don't really see how they are thinking sometimes. What is the point of broadcasting it out of order if they are going to refer to things that has happened before chronologically?

Probably because then the story would have ended at episode 6 then you'd have just a bunch of "filler" episodes till the end. By broadcasting it out of order they were able to mix in some story with the "filler" all the way through. They probably also wanted to be quirky too.

Quote:
Why in the world do you give someone who only showed up once a character song (Emri) Because If you were going to make a second season you could have waited until then.

I don't know. Why not?

Quote:
now the main characters are Haruhi, Kyon, Mikuru, Yuki, Itsuki. This was proubably ment to make you think a little bit with it's 'go' and 'the world' speak but it just makes it all the more weird. if you give someone like yuki so much power to which she can spoiler[stop time and create space and jazz] wouldn't be easier to just get rid of time travelers because aliens can already do that.

But why would she need to do that?

Quote:
Yuki could proubably finish this off herself if the creator put her up t it. BUT, of corse they didn't becuse then there would be no story.

spoiler[The aliens were curious beings who just wanted to observe and study Haruhi. They didn't want to interfere with anything. One tried, but look what happened to her]

Quote:
Itsuki's existence doesn't make any sence because why would those spoiler[ things run wild in her mind and destroy things] because if she was truly angry couldn't she just make one appear in the real world.

I think you're overthinking this from here. But anyway, spoiler[maybe it's because Haruhi doesn't wish harm upon the world, so they appear in a separate dimension that is sorta part to her mind.]

See. Now I'm overthinking it. =P
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I bet no one's heard of any of the anime and manga I enjoy =/
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon.

1. Full Metal Alchemist - Really liked it, but I've found that what my roommate showed me of the manga intrigued me a lot more. Didn't care much for the movie, though.

2. Cowboy Bebop - Enjoyed it, but with a few exceptions, couldn't understand why it's supposed to be a masterpiece.

3. Bleach - Watched some of it (30 episodes, I think?) at the behest of my sister and my roommate, and enjoyed it well enough.

4. Evangelion - I won't comment here. Most of you are sick of hearing me talk about this anyway. Smile

5. Naruto - My roommate's a huge fan, but I still haven't seen anything other than clips and a single (filler) episode.

6. FLCL - Love it. Even got my school's anime club to show it.

7. Trigun - I've seen the first 8 (9?) episodes, but haven't bothered to watch the rest yet. I enjoyed what I saw well enough.

8. Princess Mononoke - It's my favorite Miyazaki film, and I like Miyazaki films.

9. Inuyasha - Never seen it. Never really wanted to.

10. Death Note - Haven't seen it, but I think I will once it's all released. Several of my friends have recommended it to me, including one who generally dislikes anime.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite surprised that no one in the thread mentioned Castle of Cagliostro as one of the top Miyazaki movies...
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
sabriyahm wrote:
silver_omicron wrote:

/sigh

They original comment was: If A, then B.
You responded that like Haruhi (Not A), but dislike Eva (B). It doesn't inherently disprove the statement. Besides, I believe the point that silver_omicron was getting at was lots of people hate shows just because they're popular. (There's also a not quite similar situation of a show not living up to the hype).

The point, exactly.

For me, Haruhi and Evangelion both accomplish a level of story telling that is unprecedented. They effectively communicate, otherwise, vague ideas over a complex yet, perhaps overly, strange plot but despite these abnormalities, the story plots remain interesting, intriguing, and moving. And kudos, furthermore, to the symbolism used in Evangelion.

I think what irks people about shows like Eva or Haruhi is that the common fan appreciates it. No longer is anime niche with shows like the above. Everyone can appreciate it. Suddenly, i'm not defined by Great Anime A: Everyone likes that anime, why should I?!

Thus, a conundrum. Still, I think they are excellent shows for this reason. They've reached almost unrivaled popularity. It's an excellent, non-formulaic story that people can, at least, recognize and say "Oh, that's Evangelion."

Hate it or love it, that's artistic and commercial success.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
Anime_cow wrote:

Although Haruhi is one of the most popular shows/light novels/manga things I don't really see how they are thinking sometimes. What is the point of broadcasting it out of order if they are going to refer to things that has happened before chronologically?

Probably because then the story would have ended at episode 6 then you'd have just a bunch of "filler" episodes till the end. By broadcasting it out of order they were able to mix in some story with the "filler" all the way through. They probably also wanted to be quirky too.

Also because the novels are not in chronological order.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10