• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Azumanga Daioh (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mint Mania IIDX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
No blood - Its a kids show, I don't think there is any blood in it whatsoever. She wraps her fingers in bandages every time, which means fluid is inferred.

Licking your own wounds- I don't know if your a guy or girl, but haven't you ever climbed a tree, or fell off a bike? Sticking your tongue into the wound is not only a great way to find dirt and remove it from the sore but to also ease the pain. Yes it makes it numb.

I know I have lots of scars, and at one point my tongue was in most of them.

Blushing- She is embarassed she can't pet the cat, the same cat in which she wants to pet. While she loves animals she can't understand why the cats don't like her. Some animals just don't like certain humans, this is documented, but that doesn't mean those same people don't still like the animals anyway.

Don't make me force you to read the statue in front of Tillman Hall. You know what happenss if you do.

(really don't read it, I don't know if you know about the curse, but don't read it.)

1)
Fluid lol. I've seen plenty of kids shows with AT LEAST a little blood from a cut. It's no Higurashi, of course, but I mean, come on.

2)
There's a difference between "sticking your tongue to" and "gently licking." Usually, when I obtain an injury like that, I suck on the wound. This is what flushes and numbs the wound. Lick your finger like Sakaki and then suck on the same point. Tell me the difference.

3)
She blushes when she DOES pet a cat. The only thing in the show that was cute to her was Chiyo and animals, and she only blushed at Chiyo when Chiyo was in the penguin suit.

4)
I hear the inside of the Calhoun House is really pretty. :3

Ramadahl wrote:
Crush: - "An intense but usually short-lived infatuation"
There is no "love" in a crush.
As to Kaorin having a crush on another girl and openly proclaiming how great she is, I'm going to put that down to cultural differences. I've been led to believe that sort of thing is much more common in Japan.

The crush lasted for four years, and some of the fantasies had wedding bells. Short-lived my ass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Mint Mania IIDX wrote:
The crush lasted for four years, and some of the fantasies had wedding bells. Short-lived my ass.

Usually. Besides, if it had only been brief there would have probably only been one scene of Kaorin going all fangirl over Sakaki, which would have been a waste...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:

Mint Mania IIDX wrote:
Sakaki does not simply comfort the wound to less the pain. She licks the wound. This was not to stop or slow the bleeding process, as there is clearly no blood.

It's actually a natural response to do that, even when there isn't any blood.
Look at it this way. Sakaki is infactuated with cats, She love them to an obsession. She wants a cat so much she wants to be one. That's why she licked her wound because that is what a cat would do to a wound. This behavior is not unusual. My 12 year old daughter wants a cat just as badly and even will literally act like one. unfortunately we can't give her one because her mother is allergic to the fur. To come to a conclusion that Sakaki wants sex with animals, by this situation, is just sick and very wrong. Anime hyper
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Ahh...she has catwomen syndrome. I think Kaorin is gay but since being gay is a sextual prefrence and since they never state hers (even with the incidence that imply it) we cant really be sure. But take a look back at episode 8 where she's sleeping in her bed and her mother comes in and wakes her up from her dream, she pulls the blanket over her head and says "I was almost there" or something like that and says outloud that she wanted the dream to keep going.
Mint Mania IIDX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Look at it this way. Sakaki is infactuated with cats, She love them to an obsession. She wants a cat so much she wants to be one. That's why she licked her wound because that is what a cat would do to a wound. This behavior is not unusual.

So... she's a furry.

By the way, this is what a cat would do:

Last edited by Mint Mania IIDX on Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Ahh...she has catwomen syndrome. I think Kaorin is gay but since being gay is a sextual prefrence and since they never state hers (even with the incidence that imply it) we can't really be sure. But take a look back at episode 8 where she's sleeping in her bed and her mother comes in and wakes her up from her dream, she pulls the blanket over her head and says "I was almost there" or something like that and says outloud that she wanted the dream to keep going.

that dream + pride colors + lots of flowers + wedding bells + the sleeping pic + all the obvious obessing = SOMETHING IS NOT TOO HETROSEXUAL HERE!!!!

this thread delivers. Mint, keep it up xD
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Mint Mania IIDX wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Look at it this way. Sakaki is infactuated with cats, She love them to an obsession. She wants a cat so much she wants to be one. That's why she licked her wound because that is what a cat would do to a wound. This behavior is not unusual.

So... she's a furry.

Yes, and a kid as well. Were you not curious as a kid?
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Hisdon wrote:
omar235 wrote:
Ahh...she has catwomen syndrome. I think Kaorin is gay but since being gay is a sextual prefrence and since they never state hers (even with the incidence that imply it) we can't really be sure. But take a look back at episode 8 where she's sleeping in her bed and her mother comes in and wakes her up from her dream, she pulls the blanket over her head and says "I was almost there" or something like that and says outloud that she wanted the dream to keep going.

that dream + pride colors + lots of flowers + wedding bells + the sleeping pic + all the obvious obessing = SOMETHING IS NOT TOO HETROSEXUAL HERE!!!!

Yes she wanted the dream to keep going. Yes she's obsessed with Sakaki. Pretty much like Wakaba is with Utena in fact, for anyone who's seen that series, and I'm sure there are many other examples. It's called a crush. Jeez...
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
Hisdon wrote:
omar235 wrote:

Yes she wanted the dream to keep going. Yes she's obsessed with Sakaki. Pretty much like Wakaba is with Utena in fact, for anyone who's seen that series, and I'm sure there are many other examples. It's called a crush. Jeez...

which totally explains the pride colors. D:
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Mint Mania IIDX wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

So... she's a furry.

I'm thinking Kagura is a furry as well O_o!
Kouji

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Mint Mania IIDX wrote:
3)
She blushes when she DOES pet a cat. The only thing in the show that was cute to her was Chiyo and animals, and she only blushed at Chiyo when Chiyo was in the penguin suit.
Sakaki also blushed when she imagined Chiyo wearing ribbons in her birthday episode. Once again, I wonder if we're all watching the same show here....But I must ask another question. If Sakaki is into beastility, does that make Osaka a serial killer with ADD?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hisdon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Kouji"]
Mint Mania IIDX wrote:
does that make Osaka a serial killer with ADD?

I thought that was kinda obvious.
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Certainly there is some kind of romantic infatuation (call it a crush/love/being a lesbian,)going on with Kaorin. That is pretty obviously shown in the anime. To what extent this goes is unclear (the show is pretty innocent, I wouldn't expect any actual sexual action or anything and I don't think that reading is really intended.)

However, I definately think the 'turned on by cats' thing is totally wrong. No offence, you can believe it if you want. The whole thing there though is the fact that the sporty athletic 'cool' girl is actually really into cute things and so it is this contrast that is important to the character. To even suggest that the fact that she licks her finger after getting bitten means she wants sex with a dog or something is barmy.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No blood - Its a kids show, I don't think there is any blood in it whatsoever.

I'm not 100% certain, but if my memory serves me right I think I remember hearing it originally aired around three in the morning. What kids are going to be up late enough to watch it? The manga was also serialized in Dengeki Daioh, a popular moe magazine.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote
it's never said directly but maybe she's just that way for sakaki. some girls in real life do only fall for one girl.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11