• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Otoboku DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:56 am Reply with quote
But Key, there's a slight difference between this and Strawberry Panic. There's a boy involved. Actually, just looking at the synopsis was a turn off for me Rolling Eyes
Merkatz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
Otoboku was very fun and enjoyable little series and I don't normally like harem shows. There were many still panel shots, but when they animated something it looked really nice. I'm really glad that MB brought this over.
ginji-2007

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
I agree completely with Merkatz on this one it's a fun show and i can't wait to see the end.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this review was scathing, to the point where I seriously wonder if it could truly be that bad. But thank you for not taking any shots at people who might like this series for whatever reason.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I went more with Bamboo's thoughts in Shelf Life. Sure it is hokey, but I just did not get the vibe from the male lead that you did.

He seemed like a good enough guy, and it all seemed pretty innocent.

And for the price, it is easy to pick it up.
bubbleum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
But Key, there's a slight difference between this and Strawberry Panic. There's a boy involved.

Sorry to interfere, but the difference or rather the differences between Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru and Strawberry Panic are much more considerable than the presence of a single guy in the first one and the lack of species of the male sex in the second. Otoboku has the typical for the childlike romances light-hearted view of the characters' relationships and believable romance is not to be seen in such series, while in Strawberry Panic it's exactly the opposite (I'm basing this, let's say "general observation", on the series as a whole, not just the first two or three DVDs).

I'm not saying I didn't like Otoboku at all, but I'm ready to agree with the reviewer to a certain degree.
For a light-hearted childish romance with fan service and all the fluffy stuff, I'd say this anime wasn't really that bad.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
The reason I like it is just because it isn't extremely perverted, it's peaceful, and colorful. Also, I am attracted to harems like a fly on a dog turd.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I got volume one through NetFlix, flipped through the episodes to see if anything interesting happened, noticed that nothing did, and then quickly put it back in the mailbox.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2