• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
White guy gets comic made into movie, Variety calls it manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Watching the definition of the word "manga" continue to get watered down until its utterly meaningless makes me want to cry. Confused

That being said, big congratulations to Mark Crilley. I've never read Miki Falls, but what I've read of Akiko was incredibly charming, and I was happy when i discovered that book was doing well in the illustrated novel format. (I'm kind of shocked it's never been animated, honestly.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:

Oh man. Laughing Laughing Laughing And now, the nation of Japan is renamed as Mangaland.

I'm sorry for the mockery - but - do you realize how ridiculous that sounds now?

I suspect Xenos was being sarcastic with that post. But if he was being genuine, I wouldn't worry about it. He still hasn't explained to me how he's entitled to bash a James Patterson novel that he hasn't read on the basis of a few sentences and a brief summary given to him by a roommate. Anime smile
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't bashing the whole novel. I was just complaining about the excerpt my roommate read out loud to me. Plus later bits that confirmed the suspicions about the characters. I felt that that exceprt portrayed manga in a very bad sterotype.

As for my comment here, I was being serious. If you really want to make manga, learn Japanese and go over to Japan to try and break in the market there. Then you will be speaking in Japanese and working in the actual manga industry, not just using a single Japanese word. Meanwhile, if you're speaking English - like we all are right now- and making a book here in America, there is no logical reason to toss in a Japanese word to describe your book. It's just marketing BS. You're not speaking Japanese and it's not a book from Japan. Why call it manga?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Tamaria: I guess that means he's a thief like Tarantino.

Well there's the obligatory "Tarentino is a hack/wigger/poopyhead" post that has nothing to do with the topic. I wonder how long its going to take to get to the "James Cameron killed my dog" one?

This topic has been done to death, and in all honestly, who cares? Manga is the Japanese word for comics. Labeling American-made works as "manga" may technically be wrong, but again, who gives a sh!t? Who cares if people are using it as a marketing tool if it means more people will be exposed to the medium?

In any case, get used to it because I'd say that the majority of the next generation of American comic artists are going to be using this "style" to some degree.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:15 am Reply with quote
I think the point I was trying to make was lost somewhere in there...

What I wanted to say was that it's silly for people to storm to the "Miki Falls is (OEL) manga!" defence, when the creator himself obviously doesn't care.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
Time to put away the torches, pitchforks, white sheets, armbands or whatever other garbage might be used in conjunction with some of the comments being made here. I'm afraid I'm going to have to lock this one up due to some serious racist and nationalistic undertones in some of the posts here, not to mention unrelated arguments being brought in and reports from users, especially those who have been cited by people they don't even agree with. This seems to be a troll from the start, and of course GATSU wasted no time in using yet another thread he created as a soapbox to plant more and more of his anti-domestic industry rants and baseless, pointless and laughable accusations in the process.

All in all this is a mess already, and we're simply not going to let it escalate until it gets out of hand. You have your stances about the purity of manga and what does or does not qualify then so be it, you're entitled to that. The term itself is open to interpretation though, and like it or not the criteria may be different for others. So deal with the diversity of the fandom and leave this manga purity preaching garbage at the door. Let's not pretend the road doesn't go both ways, or that Japanese don't use english buzzwords for marketing in their product. Seriously, if you're going to troll and preach and use these subjects to tear down a subgenre then at least try not to demonstrate insane bias that in the process; it only drops your credibility.

BellosTheMight wrote:
The only people who care are the people who are interested in flaming. I call Troll Thread. SECURITY!

Well said...

SECURITY SMASH!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2