• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 Titles' Fansubs Pulled on Behalf of Japan's d-rights

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Has reverse importation been a problem in Japan in the past? From what has been said such a market mainly consists of collectors who, I presume, would turn their noses up at R1 products.

I don't think reverse importation is a huge issue in most cases, except in the case of hentai, where the R1 release is typically uncensored while the R2 release is typically featured with some sort of mosaic effect. As such, even though the R1 release is typically far later than the R2 release there is still a reverse market for it.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
NightHedgehog wrote:
1) Current anime coming out. Not everyone is going to buy harem anime #1512561 because the anime industry needs it. Only about 5%, 10 at most, are actually worth spending money on.

2) Insane pricing. Alot better than it used to be. Not everyone is going to pay $40 for two episodes of Diebuster.

3) Current economy. Money is tight and people have to pay their bills and that takes priority over buying the next volume of School Rumble. And usually during economic recession, sales of everything go down. Which is why it's called a recession and not Happy Spending Fun Time.

4) Fad is starting to die. When anime became popular with the release of Pokemon, everyone was going "YAY ANIME!" Hell, I was. Sure, people are eating up Naruto and Bleach things like no one's business, but that's because those are in the limelight. These same people aren't going to watch an episode of Bleach, go into the anime section at Best Buy and buy Ranma 1/2.

People are always placing the blame on anime DVD sales on anime fansubs, which actually do help the company in its own way. If I hadn't downloaded episodes of GaoGaiGar, I never would've known it existed and bought the boxset. Probably gonna have that comment blown up in my face considering low sales killed the dub. God knows that was mostly because they were too busy circlejerking to Voltron.

And sometimes, anime never comes out in America in an unsubbed form. Let's see if people can find me an uncut, bilingual DVD of Sonic X. Or sometimes, companies are just sitting on the license like with Deltora Quest or Tales of Eternia.

1. Quality of anime is subjective. Personally, I think the ratio of "good to bad" is the same as always.
2. Honestly, if you look for good deals, and compare it to other DVDs, the pricing is only slightly higher (sometimes lower, in fact)
3. I'll give you this one, though if anyone is still buying video games, normal DVDs, CDs, etc. and says "I can't afford anime because of the economy", well they're full of BS obviously
4. Yet con attendance is increasing each year. The fandom is growing, but those who prefer free anime over supporting the anime industry are growing as well. Also, was Pokemon that much of a boost for the anime industry? Seemed more like a boost for Nintendo from my point of view.
5. You never would have known it existed? Err, we're on the INTERNET, you have access to info about pretty much every anime ever made
Kireek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Agree with above post.........its also funny how these anime *fans* say $20 dollars is to much but wouldnt question paying $20 to watch a basketball match
CyberTRex8u

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, and all those trailers are crap. The only good anime trailers ever made were the Toonami ones in the early 2000's for stuff like Outlaw Star, Tenchi, Gundam Wing, etc. If a preview doesn't tell me anything about a show, then it's worthless. Like with Captain Herlock Endless Odyssey, it was just the OP for the preview. I bought the show anyway because it's Leiji Matsumoto though, and because it was in the bargain bin on rightstuf. In fact, that's mostly how I buy anime these days, when it's so cheap that it's actually a normal price.

so, obviously, if a trailer doesnt catch your attention or the show doesnt seem attractive, then ofcourse you wont buy it. but by saying that, are you saying for an anime youve never seen before thats come out with a trailer, and the trailer turned out to be bad, that its still gonna be a good show anyway? but youll only judge it after seeing the complete version? the only thing i will agree with you is that if a trailer tells me nothing about what its promoting, then i wont buy it because i have no interest. thats kind of a given. and i think we are all guilty of buying bargain bin stuff for something we thought we would never buy, including DVDs and anime, maybe even games.

[/b]Kireek We are Hommies now Very Happy
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Ultenth wrote:

As for those that try to compare our pricing with those of Japanese viewers, consider the fact that those viewers actually get to PREVIEW the show first, and decide if they like it before blind buying it. Us outside of Japan have to either blind buy stuff and hope the reviews are accurate and reflect our own tastes, or we watch fansubs and use those as our way of previewing it just as if it were on TV.

Similar to the US DVD market, if you want to buy the latest season of Lost, you will know ahead of time if you like it or not by watching previous seasons or even an episode or two of the current one. We cannot do that with 99.9% of Japanese shows. Them expecting us to pay prices higher than that of regular TV shows and movies, for a product we can't even preview, is a major issue that will keep the fansub community alive until they resolve it.

Can't you say the same about television from ANY country other than one's own?

How do you know you want to buy this or that title that's #1 in Germany or France or Romania? Doesn't give you some sort of god-given right to download episodes should someone be uploading them somewhere.
Anime is simply a Japanese show not all of which even air on TV (see OVA/OAV). Some air on pay-per-view channels. Some are direct to dvd so even the Japanese viewers must pay to see them.
How does a Japanese person know if they want to buy Lost or Smallville? If a deal hasn't been cut for it to air or be released on dvd aren't their options similar to our own?
One isn't supposed to apply Japanese pricing to the argument because Japanese prices are insane, but you can apply American tv airing rights as a valid excuse for supporting fansubs?

How on earth is digital data NOT concrete? Someone took actual time to make this stuff. If you take an hour to do work on your computer it's ok if someone hacks into your computer & takes your work for their own? (Big college term paper so you can graduate, say, or big project keeping your job hangs on) It's just data, right? Yeah, you spent some time (probably nowhere near as long as people making an ep of anime [# of workersXhours]), but it's still just data.
Serves you right if someone just takes it, right?
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
And with more shows going boxset only were you get more bang for your buck anyone who says these are to expensive and decides to leech needs to be shot (unless you are totally broke or don't have a job)

Sounds like someone needs to take a deep breath and count to ten.

Seriously, you may want to take a step back from this thread and consider your perspective on the matter. Is it truely your opinion that anyone who believes that anime sold in America is overpriced and chooses to violate IP rights by downloading anime for their personal use deserves to die? Should they get a trial first or can we just summarilly execute anyone in the street whom we suspect downloads anime?
Kireek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Kireek wrote:
And with more shows going boxset only were you get more bang for your buck anyone who says these are to expensive and decides to leech needs to be shot (unless you are totally broke or don't have a job)

Sounds like someone needs to take a deep breath and count to ten.

Seriously, you may want to take a step back from this thread and consider your perspective on the matter. Is it truely your opinion that anyone who believes that anime sold in America is overpriced and chooses to violate IP rights by downloading anime for their personal use deserves to die? Should they get a trial first or can we just summarilly execute anyone in the street whom we suspect downloads anime?

When I say shot I dont litterley mean it Laughing No i wish it on nobody to be killed its just a term I and a bunch of other people use........dont ask. I never thought anyone would take me seriously when I posted that. Your post hs made my day good sir I was laughing hard (not at you)

Anyway back on topic
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
This is not that new. I support funimation they have a right to these shows since they have paid the money for it. However I am also a fan of fansubbing. IMO fansubbing helped increase dvd sales in the beginning. I'm a little annoyed that they haven't even let the series finish there runs(Nabari no Ō) though. We should buy the dvds when they come out in our region if we like the show.
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
phoenixphire24 wrote:
I wonder where they pulled these from; the first 2 torrent sites I checked had all the episodes of Nabari up and running.

There was a C&D notice from Funimation sent to one of the subber groups that mentioned these titles..
cherrywolfchan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I am sure people have already said what I'm about to say, but I kind of feel like spouting my opinion anyways Razz.

First off, I have a very mixed opinion on this.

I think Funimation did the right thing by taking these subs down because not only is it illegal for them to be up, but the Japanese, from what I've heard, are a little tired of things being fansubbed here... it's not very good for the business money-wise when a bunch of people will watch these shows online and never buy the actual products.

On the other hand, I don't think fansubs should be taken down just because of the people who do watch and never buy. I think fansubs are good advertisement for series. I would have never bought Princess Tutu if I had never watched it online first. And my sister is the same with Beck. She found and watched it online, loved it, and bought it. But if she would have just seen it in F.Y.E or Best Buy, would have never even thought about buying it.

I think industries need to realize that fansubs are both a disadvantage and an advantage. Without fansubs, I wouldn't own a lot of series that I do today and plan on buying as well now that they are licensed.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I think you are on to the right idea. The question becomes then, which group is the larger of the 2? I'm betting that these titles being taken down aren't going to see very high sales, and I doubt they will see anymore due to this change. They obviously don't think so (or it just annoys them to no end that people are seeing it for free regardless of whether they get more money out of it).

I don't personally know if overall the industry is better off taking these actions. It's possible that they will help themselves, but ... I kind of doubt it. I think they really don't know how many fansub viewers do buy anime. I think they underestimate the size of that group and have really gone the direction that many on this forum do where they believe someone is either a radical "I deserve free anime" or "I buy everything before I watch anything."

I'm going to go so far as to say that most DVD purchases come from people who watch at least some fansubs. Maybe not of what they purchase, but some fansubs. How many of those who do this will become so angry at the industry that they will refuse to buy anything? Probably not a lot, but I likewise see a number hovering just above zero who will suddenly have a flash of inspiration to start buying because they can't get it free.
Ultenth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
One isn't supposed to apply Japanese pricing to the argument because Japanese prices are insane, but you can apply American tv airing rights as a valid excuse for supporting fansubs?

I think that perhaps you missed the point that others have said in this very page. The pricing for Japanese anime fans is because it is for COLLECTORS, IE it's for people that like having collections of stuff and showing it off. People that just want to watch anime in Japan often don't buy them, instead they simply watch or record and then later watch the shows directly off TV, even if they have to pay for a channel to watch it (how is that different from paying for showtime etc?).

People in the US have to shell out $$ for the right to VIEW the anime, not just collect it. We have no other way to simply view the anime and enjoy it, like Japanese viewers do. So the pricing structure does not make sense. Japanese fans are paying to COLLECT the shows, we are paying to simply VIEW them.

Many anime fans (such as myself) aren't collectors, I know I don't really collect anything, just not in my nature. But I do like watching anime, and even then, as with most everything else I watch, I only watch it ONCE. In other words, for me, the act of collecting is useless, and something I'm not interested in. But I still have to pay for the price as if I were wanting to collect it, when in reality all I want is to VIEW it, just once, for a reasonable fee. I don't want to watch it over and over and lend it out to friends, I just want to see it, once. I never watch movies more than once, or read books more than once, or watch US TV shows more than once.

I don't like being forced into a business model of collecting something in order to enjoy something that I truely like, but only want to watch one time then it's useless to me sitting on a shelf taking up space. TV and online distrubution should be for marketting and growing your product, not for getting even more profit. Just look at Heroes, they put all their episodes for free online to watch, and it, along with other online content, was a huge part of why it is so successful and the DVD's sold so well. All I want is a freakin subscription service, doesn't matter if it's online or a TV channel, so I can simply pay a monthly fee and watch as little or much anime as I want to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bobber205

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
CyberTRex8u wrote:
Quote:
Funimation for the mos tpart has horrible male voice actors...and their crap is still overpriced

i wouldnt say the male voice actors were horrible, not even bad. and $1.99 for an episode off of iTunes doesnt sound bad to me at all....thats cheaper than a comic book off the news stand, which sell for $2.99

Isn't the quality on iTunes a piece of garbage AND it's DRMed?
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
CatzCradle wrote:
phoenixphire24 wrote:
I wonder where they pulled these from; the first 2 torrent sites I checked had all the episodes of Nabari up and running.

There was a C&D notice from Funimation sent to one of the subber groups that mentioned these titles..

They also announced this during the Fansubbers and Industry panel at Otakon. And for those who complain "but if they aren't coming", they also mentioned some of these titles will be coming out from an R1 company (not necessarily FUNi) when the contracts are done.

Last edited by bayoab on Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
loka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Ultenth wrote:
\
I don't like being forced into a business model of collecting something in order to enjoy something that I truely like, but only want to watch one time then it's useless to me sitting on a shelf taking up space. TV and online distrubution should be for marketting and growing your product, not for getting even more profit. Just look at Heroes, they put all their episodes for free online to watch, and it, along with other online content, was a huge part of why it is so successful and the DVD's sold so well. All I want is a freakin subscription service, doesn't matter if it's online or a TV channel, so I can simply pay a monthly fee and watch as little or much anime as I want to.

i suspect they underestimate the amount of those like you. or they simply dont give a shit about you. I am a collector, so I will always buy the physical medium -- but I very much agree that their pricing for downloads are exorbitant for any real fan who watches 1 or 2 episodes per day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 19