• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live Charity Auction Raises US$45,000+ for Totoro Forest

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote
$90,000? That should buy about one half acre. Maybe less. Only 8,649.5 more to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
$90,000? That should buy about one half acre. Maybe less. Only 8,649.5 more to go.
the prices for an acre everywhere in the world arn't the same. unless you looked up what the forest's land is worth
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
The funds from the auction are only part of what is being raised for the purchase.

Glad to hear they finally announced the exhibit at the Cartoon Art Museum. I've been keeping mum on this 'til the word came out.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
the prices for an acre everywhere in the world arn't the same. unless you looked up what the forest's land is worth

Your right, given the proximity to Tokyo, it's probably a lot more expensive. Since I was using suburban US land prices as a guide. You figure Tokyo proper prices average about ¥44,000 per square foot, then Sayama Hills 20 miles from there and described as to "resemble a small green island in the middle of a metropolis." is going to be around 50% of that. So your still looking at about $8.4 million an acre.

Of course the more you buy in bulk the better deal you will get, and the land in the center of the forest will be cheaper than the edges, so even if you get it for 50% of $8.4 it is still damn expensive. The foundation got about 3 million dollars not too long ago, I hope they are saving the money to certain limits before they actually purchase instead of buying piecemeal or else it will take them forever to reach the full 8,600 acres.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1