• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Innocence Ghost in the Shell

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:04 am Reply with quote
I didn't like Patlabor 2 much either, and have been disappointed with Oshii since Jin Roh. But I don't feel like kicking him when he's down, considering GITS 2 was a flop in Japan, and couldn't win one stinkin' award at Cannes; so I'll support it iwith the hope that he can come up with a more original project again down the line.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:32 am Reply with quote
Who wrote this review? There's no author credit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:41 am Reply with quote
Gabriel Reldman. It's listed at the top of the article.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:51 am Reply with quote
D'oh! Just call me a format traditionalist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:31 pm Reply with quote
We recently moved the reviewers names to the top of th reviews as that seems to be the more common format on other websites and in print.

-t
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Don't give in man...don't give into the peer pressure.
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Just UY Movie 2? Razz But need the less, this is one movie I can't wait for DVD (I hope I get leave in time to catch at the movies.) Great preview Gabriel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Yup, Mamoru Oshii also directed the first Urusei Yatsura movie, the philosophy-and-subtext-free Only You.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Yup, Mamoru Oshii also directed the first Urusei Yatsura movie, the philosophy-and-subtext-free Only You.

As per Brian Ruh's forthcoming "Stray Dog of Anime: the Films of Mamoru Oshii", his involvement with UY consists of the following:

TV series: chief director (episodes 1-106), storyboards (21 episodes), director (24 episodes), screenplay (7 episodes)

Urusei Yatsura: Only You (first movie): storyboards, adaptation, director

Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer (second movie): screenplay, director.

(Oshii was also involved on the first segment of the April 1982 Urusei Yatsura Spring Special as storyboard artist and director)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't like Patlabor 2 much either

Really? Did you like Patlabor 1. Although i suppose the movies have different feels. The first time I watched Patlabor 2 I didn't like it at all but that was probably because I was relatively young (about 14 I think) and the plot confused the hell out of me. But I watched it again more recently and would now rate it above Patlabor 1,although only by a tiny bit.

Quote:
have been disappointed with Oshii since Jin-Roh

I didn't think he had had a significant role in anything since Jin-Roh up until GITS:innocence that is.

Quote:

Which may I add was a delight, and I'm not particularly fond of anime comedies.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:
I didn't think he had had a significant role in anything since Jin-Roh up until GITS:innocence that is.

Like I said in the Cannes thread, he did Avalon in 2000. Everyone should check this movie out. It is great...Gatsu did you see Avalon? And if so, did you not like it?
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Ah of course.My mistake, I was thinking specifically in terms of anime and forgot Avalon. I have been wanting to watch Avalon for some time,it will be interesting to see how Oshii handles live action. I read a review of it a while ago in the UK film magazine Empire and they gave it an avarage review, 3 out of 5 if I remember correctly.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Mania: Patlabor 2 seemed like a re-tread of part 1, and I have a bad feeling Innocence will be the same to Ghost in the Shell. Hell, I'm one of the few people who was yawning when they screened Mini-Pato at AX, and I was really into the show. I guess once you do something ground-breaking like GITS, it's kind of tough to come up with a good follow-up.

Also, he was really a producer on Jin Roh, and actually had little influence, other than his trademark cinematic style, but he was the selling point for the film, so I was just expecting more than recycling on his part.

Jet: I was ok with Avalon, but didn't quite feel satisfied by it. It wasn't serious enough for me, I guess. Oshii just needs to start fresh, as I said earlier. Nothing that looks like, or is related to, his previous work.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:58 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Also, he was really a producer on Jin Roh, and actually had little influence, other than his trademark cinematic style, but he was the selling point for the film, so I was just expecting more than recycling on his part.

Jet: I was ok with Avalon, but didn't quite feel satisfied by it. It wasn't serious enough for me, I guess. Oshii just needs to start fresh, as I said earlier. Nothing that looks like, or is related to, his previous work.

Actually, Oshii wrote the original manga Jin-Roh is based on (Hellhounds: Panzer Cops), and then adapted the story into the Jin-Roh screenplay. As far as Avalon goes, most people don't realize it's not the first time he's ventured into live-action - and not the first time he has been criticised for doing so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care whether he does animation or live-action, as long as he's effective at his work. And I haven't seen that for a while.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4