• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2008 Anime Preview Guide Part 1

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amiantos

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
Bit early to be giving a series a rating don't you think? A single episode and you guys think it lacks background info and character depth? Ever think it's because it's been one single episode?
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
Bit early to be giving a series a rating don't you think? A single episode and you guys think it lacks background info and character depth? Ever think it's because it's been one single episode?

Yes.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:31 am Reply with quote
well, you can be pretty sure that something like Akane-iro isn't going to be getting any better ^^;;;
billborden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:37 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
The review was actually very fair. If you aren't a super-key fan then clannad after story is not really interesting. But on the upside ADV just might have the license to it for those who are fans. I assume that they got both seasons or maybe the whole property seeing as air and kanon were popular.

Excatly what part of the Clannad review was "actually very fair"? I have to agree with the earlier comment that Casey clearly did not watch the first season, which makes any attempt to fairly review the second impossible; much like my trying to give a review of Bleach (or any other brain-numbing release based on a SJ title). If the review had been two sentences of summary, followed by, "if you don't like Key, you won't like this" that would have been fair. An "I hate the genre (I've read her reviews, and this certainly seems to be the case) so I hate this show", would have been honest. A review including the phrase "...the absolute best it ever achieves is inoffensive mediocrity. At its absolute worst, it descends into heretofore unplumbed depths of lukewarm, non sequitur idiocy…with the Idiot of Idiots being Yusuke" is an uninformed, and essentially useless, review. She, unfortunately like many ANN reviewers, cannot separate personal opinion/attack language from informative reviews. I don't anticipate every reviewer to agree with my opinion--hell, as a niche fan it's just the opposite--but I do expect some form or reasoned response, not middle-school name calling.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:45 am Reply with quote
Not just middle school namecalling, but middle school namecalling with a college vocabulary, ooooh.

I await reviews for Shikabane, Class 5-2, Kameko Deluxe, Kurozuka, Kannagi, Chaos Head, and Nodame whenever the they are aired and y'all get around to writing them.

I must say though, I was thoroughly entertained throughout Zac's tirade against Gonzo's unoriginality.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:32 am Reply with quote
Flaed wrote:
Then again, Hisashi Hirai (the man who can draw only one face) and ALI PROJECT (the band that can write only one song) should have also been tip-offs, I guess. . . .

This is one great comment. I agree Linebarrels of Iron was bad, and had one of the worst and annoying lead characters I have ever seen. I wonder if they write some childhood trauma in so that they can justify his totally unrealistic and stupid character.
And the CG sucked, too.

Anyway, from what I have seen so far, I will continue to watch Hyakko and Cassher with excitement, and Yokazura Quartet and Shikabane Hime with hope for more.
idrisfynn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:41 am Reply with quote
Kuroshitsuji is the show I'm most curious about this season, so I'll be looking forward to some reviews. I don't expect it to be OMG great but I do enjoy the manga quite a bit.

I'll watch Switch too.
Ichigo069

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Vortextk wrote:
I drop off the anime radar for literally the entire spring season, come back, and am already starting to look at the fall reviews Wink

Thanks for the great article(and new format) again. I'm hoping a few things clear up for me in this season of Clannad. I was a little unimpressed with the show as a whole, but it was all right(anything KyoAni does I'll atleast watch for the beautiful animation). I still don't understand (first season only)spoiler[the odd fantasy references with the girl and robot, which inturn seems to be the play Nagisa does in the ending. I mean, is that all there is to it? This is a play she's thought about and in the end, acts out? It seemed to get too much air time for just that] I assumed the anime was going to be more like Air, with a hint of magic around them, and it doesn't quite turn out to be the case, even though it almost seemed like it wanted to...

At this point I need to go back and go through all the reviews for last season once again to catch up on what I missed.

spoiler[The secondary fantasy plot isn't going to come full circle until later in this season. The alternate world with the junk doll and the girl is however, what will influence the events coming in the future.]

I really can't explain much more than that without spoiling it. I've yet to play the game myself, but I've gotten a few rough script translations here and there to find that the ending is suiting to it all but again, I can't say much without spoiling anything. Reviewing the season would definitely help, because I doubt there's going to be any more flashbacks in terms of reminding people what's happened.

Megiddo wrote:
The reason why Clannad got a second series was because the first only told the first half of the game.

Yes, the game is THAT long.

another thing to point out is that the game is like a literal novel... I mean all visual novels are.

It took me 18 hours to finish reading all of Banquet of the Golden Witch, so I imagine Clannad is at least twice or three times the length of the first chapter of Umineko. There's a large underestimation of the size of these plots by american audiences. Granted a lot of it is detail, only half, maybe 1/4th gets presented in the visual portion of the story when in anime form.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the 1st season anime only covers about 1/3 of the game... because of the mutual exclusivity of routes like Kyou's and Ryou's and Tomoyo's, Kyoani kind of had their hands tied. I'm actually hoping that they do the rest of Tomoyo After also, but that's another conversation for another day...

The current game walkthrough is ~300 hours... and yes... it's about that long. It takes up ~4GB of space on your HDD and it's not animated like ef or School Days. The After Story is the part of the game that you 'unlock' as soon as you've finished all the other main routes. This is the part that most of this season will cover. However, from the first episode and the preview of the second episode, it looks like they're going to fill in a few gaps before they start on the main part of the afterstory.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote
Hm...so i'm alone in actually liking Linebarells. I've seen a ton of robot anime, but for some reason this story stuck more to me then Gundam Seed (I hated GS). Actually, I think the last big robot show I liked was Megas XLR. Smile

It's a an old formula, but I expect to see more in it and a new solution. I disliked Hayase, but didn't hate him. I actually enjoyed him more in the end, when he was fighting and high on adrenaline. I will say he's no where near as pathetic as Shinji from EVA, and he grew more in the first episode then Shinji did in the entire series. I guess EVA had a good plot to back it up.

I'll sit back and wait for the next few episodes to make a better judgement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ichigo069

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:28 am Reply with quote
One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Earl and Fairy (Hakushaku to Yousei). I saw the advance AT-X showing of this and it looks like it's actually gonna be pretty good...

It's a shoujo but with a few non-stereotypical twists... It's gonna have a good bit of fantasy mixed in with a Victorian England setting. I'm personally looking forward to the rest of the series.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:23 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Quote:
And besides, aren't Tomoya and Nagisa an item already? Even diehard Key fans will be asking, “What is the point of more?”

This made me chuckle, considering that, as a diehard Key fanboy, I couldn't wait to see the After Story animated.

I would have figured a bunch of diehard Key fanboys would go nuts for After Story and not just because of Tomoya's and Nagisa's newfound relationship. Heck, there's an overlining theme in Clannad that goes far beyond just some guy getting the girl. In any case, that statement threw me off a loop.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:23 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
It's a an old formula, but I expect to see more in it and a new solution. I disliked Hayase, but didn't hate him. I actually enjoyed him more in the end, when he was fighting and high on adrenaline. I will say he's no where near as pathetic as Shinji from EVA, and he grew more in the first episode then Shinji did in the entire series. I guess EVA had a good plot to back it up.

It might seem a little touchy, but why exactly do you think Kouichi is less pathetic than Shinji?
Shinji doesn't fight back because he is afraid. He refuses to use the EVA because he fears the power/responsibility/change.
Kouichi doesn't fight back because he is a hidden HERO OF JUSTICE. He uses the Linebarrel to become a non-hidden HERO OF JUSTICE.

Seriously, which one is less pathetic?
And getting what you want does not equal growth. I dare say people who always get what they want do not grow at all.
ikky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:55 am Reply with quote
The only show that seems impressive so far based on the first episode is Casshern. The storyboarding and art direction is absolutely beautiful. Also, Tohru Furuya is legendary.

Linebarrels might be worth watching for the cheese factor.

Still looking forward to Tytania and Michiko to Hatchin.
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote
lol the "maple leaf" threw me off for a second..... what, canadian anime preview! lol....

but wow, linebarrels of iron...... a mecha geek friend of mine swears this is the best show ever but......

Zac, you really lampooned it. and I agree with pretty much everything you said.

of course, you've now given hope to the 7966993940652466 people (including myself, I'll admit) who thinks they have a good script for an anime series....

... maybe I should get started?
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:17 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
The review was actually very fair. If you aren't a super-key fan then clannad after story is not really interesting.

Actually... I noticed a lot of people got into Clannad last year because they heard of certain stuff that will happen... which is going to be covered in After Story... the theme for Clannad is "family" after all...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 22