• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Licenses Burst Angel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeiram

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:35 pm Reply with quote
x_x what a deal here, dang

I'm just waiting for the 'otakus don't let people pirate anime' comercials.

So what if ya like the fan subbed version better than the american transaltions? The original artists are being ripped off

<.< i know many trading places that need to be shut down for illegal anime distribution. Including the one that went unsaid.

Anyways, i've said before, I am a fan of this series because Jo is the neatest new character type i have ever saw. C'mon a noble warrior otaku flat chested babe? x_x sorry but that is so neat hehe, admit it.

Yeah it does lack some, but i'll buy the dvds when they come out. Saaay, www.baku-ten.com has the art box in the goods section. ^^ nice hehe
somedude67

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:45 pm Reply with quote
If it wasn't for the fansubs of Ranma 1/2, Tenchi, Azumanga, Dual, Key the Metal Idol, Ping Pong Club, Slayers, Nadia and many others I would not even have purchased these DVDs from licensors. The reason being it is not like an American movie that you can see at the theater or on tv where you can get an idea of what the movie is about. Spending close to $30 bucks for a DVD on an anime that you just heard was good is asking a little too much for most anime fans.
v_spec

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:21 pm Reply with quote
[Post deleted, User banned.]
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:30 pm Reply with quote
v_spec wrote:
First of all, when a series gets licensed the subs almost always suck, alot of scenes are taken out to be more suitable or appropriate for "American" audiences which in the end the series loses it's originality.

I don't know what you have been watching, but most series these days are UNCUT! It's only shows that are aimed at kids (like shows 4-kids has) that have been cut and edited in that manner. Also, naturally shows that play on TV or cable will have to be edited for content.

By the way there are Lexus' that have not been rebadged, they are called Toyotas

I'm not gonna get into some huge argument over this, because many of us, including myself, have spent the last several times reqwriting the same arguments, because people don't seem to want to read the whole thread. So for the last time...

Some fansub groups are very good, some are good, some are bad, and some are VERY bad.

Most of the time, the professional translators will do a better job than a fansub group will. Keep in mind it's not ONE translator that works on a project, but several. A script is usually translated more than once as well. So I find you're idea that all professional subs suck as laughable. You sound like someone who is a part of a fansub group and feels they defend their honor.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:36 pm Reply with quote
v_spec wrote:
Honestly, I'm saying this from the bottom of my heart, F*CK ALL YOU CAPITALIST PIGS.

Why thank you.

v_spec wrote:
First of all, when a series gets licensed the subs almost always suck,

How? Really, tell us how. Nobody else has, maybe you'll be the first.

v_spec wrote:
alot of scenes are taken out to be more suitable or appropriate for "American" audiences which in the end the series loses it's originality.

Do you have proof? I mean we know 4Kids does that and FUNimation DID that back when they released VHS-only...but what series have ADV, Geneon, AnimEigo, Bandai, Urban Vision, Media Blasters, TRSI, & Central Park Media removed scenes from?

In comparing fansubs & domestic DVD releases, it all seems to be intact, to me.

v_spec wrote:
We're the only one in the world using the fricken Metric System,

Wait wait, nobody correct him! Laughing

v_spec wrote:
I would rather donate the $50, $100 or whatever amount the cost of the DVD series is to the fan subbers instead spending my money on shitty garbage licensed crap.

Okay then, go to cdjapan and order the imports. Support the production studios directly.

v_spec wrote:
Shitty unprofessional translaters guess at the meaning

Yeah, fansubbers tend to do that quite a bit. I mean, Mass Naked Child Event, y'know?

v_spec wrote:
and in the end what we get on those licensed DVDs is shitty crappy subs that are only worth as much as the ink to print the DVD cover.

Again, I'm still waiting on one of you types to actually provide specific reasons why the professional subtitles are poor-quality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

v_spec wrote:
We're the only one in the world using the fricken Metric System,

Wait wait, nobody correct him! Laughing

Oops, I missed that, I was too busy trying to find the point of his rant

Embarassed
somedude67

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I guess another anime I will never buy due to the fact I like to see a show before I buy it on DVD. What a shame Crying or Very sad
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:58 pm Reply with quote
somedude67 wrote:
I guess another anime I will never buy due to the fact I like to see a show before I buy it on DVD.

Why not rent it?

If you don't have a local anime rental shop, check out http://www.rentanime.com

-t
somedude67

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
somedude67 wrote:
I guess another anime I will never buy due to the fact I like to see a show before I buy it on DVD.

Why not rent it?

If you don't have a local anime rental shop, check out http://www.rentanime.com

-t

Thanks for the advice! Laughing
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Oops, I missed that, I was too busy trying to find the point of his rant

The point was probably to see how many things he could get backwards (toyota / lexus, right / left side of the street, imperial / metric system) without people noticing.

Or is that giving him too much credit?
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Or is that giving him too much credit?

Probably so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3