• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Reporter: Live-Action Akira Film's Production Shut Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Yeah, I agreed and also I don't see Goku being played by a white person is any different from a Fillipino playing Batman (as I mention), or a Japanese playing Spiderman, or a Indian playing as Superman as Enurtsol mention. I see people complain about Goku being played by a white person so where's the complaint for a Indian Superman, Fillipino Batman, Japanese Spiderman, and Turkish Captain America. It's either people are not aware of this or it's hypocrisy as in It's bad for a white person to play as a Asian character yet it's OK for Asian and non-caucasian to play as caucasian American superheroes.

Don't think the issue need to be further pressed on. No matter what or where, Hollywood is the International Stage of all films being made whether it be live-action or not.

Japan re-animated Iron Man, Wolverine and X-Men last year 2010 due the popularity of Marvel and DC brought comics books heroes to life onto the big screen, where it impacted the niche market.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Yeah, I agreed and also I don't see Goku being played by a white person is any different from a Fillipino playing Batman (as I mention), or a Japanese playing Spiderman, or a Indian playing as Superman as Enurtsol mention. I see people complain about Goku being played by a white person so where's the complaint for a Indian Superman, Fillipino Batman, Japanese Spiderman, and Turkish Captain America. It's either people are not aware of this or it's hypocrisy as in It's bad for a white person to play as a Asian character yet it's OK for Asian and non-caucasian to play as caucasian American superheroes.

Don't think the issue need to be further pressed on. No matter what or where, Hollywood is the International Stage of all films being made whether it be live-action or not.

Japan re-animated Iron Man, Wolverine and X-Men last year 2010 due the popularity of Marvel and DC brought comics books heroes to life onto the big screen, where it impacted the niche market.

Yes but animation and live-action are different. The X-men, Wolverine, Iron Man they didn't change the race and nationality of the character. They didn't change Tony Stark from white to Japanese (They didn't change Tony Stark's name to something Japanese). What LongView was ranting about was live-action whitewash/racism from Hollywood. As in casting a white actor to play as Japanese character in live-action. Yes you are correct about Hollywood is the international stages of film. But people like him are throwing racism and whitewash about it but yet don't complain when Japan did a live-action Spiderman when the character was played by a Japanese person. Don't forget the Indian Superman Enurtsol brought up along with my Turkish Captain America and Fillipino Batman. How's that any different from casting white people as Asian characters. Also I mention Matango, a Japanese film based on a western novel. the novel had caucasian characters but yet the Japanese movie had Japanese character so according to his logic, this would be his definition of whitewash and racism. So why complain about Hollywood when other country did something similar.

Oh I almost forgot about Madame Butterfly, an Italian opera which features white people playing as Asian, I'm surprised that the people crying Whitewash and racism in Hollywood are not going after Italy for this since it's has non-Asian playing as Asian (well it did have one Asian actress playing as the main character between 1915-1920).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:

MADHOUSE, not Japan, animated those shows because Marvel paid them to do so. It was a two birds with one stone decision for Marvel. Marvel has always had an interest in furthering the popularity if it's heroes worldwide and the recent movies has created a lot of buzz for new animated shows. So instead of going with a local animation house like WB, Marvel went with MADHOUSE and was able to get some Japanese airtime with shows they planned to bring over to the U.S.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I show him evidence of Japan and other part of the world doing something similar what Hollywood did. I mention the Toei Spiderman where a Japanese actor cast as Spiderman, which he claim is different from casting a white person to play as characters in Akira and Goku in Dragonball Evolution (I don't know how casting a Japanese actor to play Spiderman is any different from a white person casting as character in Akira). I also want to mention in one of my post that Toho's film Matango was a adaptation of a western sci-fi story, the original western sci-fi story had white people when in the film, the characters are Japanese. So according to LongView's logic, that would be whitewashing, right? Is it any different from casting non-Asian actor in Akira. Also I recall the article about Japan and India adapting a baseball manga into a anime where baseball would be replaced by Cricket and the setting would be move from Japan to India, would this be his definition of whitewash and racism? Again, LongView ignore it and pretend I didn't mention it. Enurtsol brought up Indian Superman. While I brought up Turkish Captain America, and Fillipino Batman, are they any different from casting white people as Japanese characters? Because if people complain about white people playing as Asian characters, then shouldn't what I mention bold and underline get the same criticism also?? Again, I just need an opinion because I wanted to see if there any different. Because in my view, casting a white person as Asian character wouldn't be any different from a Japanese playing as Spiderman, an Indian playing as Superman, a Fillipino playing as Batman, and a Turkish person playing as Captain America or any non-white person playing as a caucasian American superheroes.

Wow, what's with all the underlining & bold ?

On a surface level, IMHO, there's not much difference in either direction.

If everything else is the same, then relocalizing a title in one direction or another is the same thing.

But everything is not always the same. There are a lot of factors that go into the decision to relocalize.

For starters, let's figure out why the actors in Akira have been white-washed ? Is it because the movie takes place in New York and they wanted actors that looked like New York natives (Thing is, there are plenty of non-whites in New York).

Is it because they wanted the speech to sound local and they couldn't find any Asian actors who spoke English well, without accent, enough for the part? (sarcasm)

Or perhaps they just couldn't find enough decent Asian actors to fill the cast. (Would it have been less racist to cast Asian Americans of non-Japanese decent, or would that have been more racist? (because, you know, all Asians look the same)) (sarcasm)

Maybe the casting was completely color blind and they just picked the actors that were best for the story and said "Race be damned."

Or maybe the casting director is a racist bigot. To be honest, we won't know why the movie was whitewashed.

There are plenty of non-racist reasons it could have happened, both artistic reasons, and business reasons. Unlike Largeview, while I recognize that there certainly is racism in Hollywood, it doesn't mean the Whitewashed Akira was the result of racisn.

As for the various examples you brought up... they really weren't all that relevant to the conversation. They're interesting to look at, but they prove nothing, and have even less bearing on what happens in Hollywood.

For starters, if you produce a movie in America, and/or move its setting to America, it's reasonable to expect American actors. However there are plenty of non-white American actors available. However, if you move something to Japan, the Philippines or Bollywood, the same is not true. You'd expect the actors to be locals who speak the language, and I'm willing to bet there aren't that many white actors in Manilla who speak Tagalog without an accent. In other words, Hollywood has plenty of suitable non-white talent, but Bollywood/etc.. probably do not, so you can't compare whitewashing in Hollywood to the opposite happening abroad.

In short, if you're moving Akira to America, there's no reason not to hire Asian American actors... unless of course the actors you want just happen to not be Asian American.

As for moving Akira to America, I disagree with it from an artistic POV, but the business logic is sound. The audience will be more interested in what happens to Neo-Manhattan than Neo-Tokyo. You have to cater to your audience, even if they're a bunch of myopic rednecks.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
This business logic behind Hollywood adapting anime franchises as yet to work though. The logic I am referring to is take a work with established fan base, turn said work on it's head by changing the story and characters, and banking on it pleasing established fans and the general public. When will this sound business logic be recognized as the poorly planned money grab that it is?
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wow, what's with all the underlining & bold ?

My apologies Tempest. I tried to find a way to explain it without confusion. I could've break it into many paragraph but it got messy. So I used bold and underline to point out the important stuff since it won't cause confusion when you read it.

Quote:
On a surface level, IMHO, there's not much difference in either direction.

That I agreed

Quote:
If everything else is the same, then relocalizing a title in one direction or another is the same thing.

But everything is not always the same. There are a lot of factors that go into the decision to relocalize.

That I can understand. Not going to object or argue on that.

Quote:
For starters, let's figure out why the actors in Akira have been white-washed ? Is it because the movie takes place in New York and they wanted actors that looked like New York natives (Thing is, there are plenty of non-whites in New York).

Is it because they wanted the speech to sound local and they couldn't find any Asian actors who spoke English well, without accent, enough for the part? (sarcasm)

Or perhaps they just couldn't find enough decent Asian actors to fill the cast. (Would it have been less racist to cast Asian Americans of non-Japanese decent, or would that have been more racist? (because, you know, all Asians look the same)) (sarcasm)

Well I understand and nice sarcasm BTW.

Quote:
Or maybe the casting director is a racist bigot. To be honest, we won't know why the movie was whitewashed.

Indeed, we may never know. That's why I'm glad the production has been shut down. I was concerned about the cast of the movie.

Quote:
As for the various examples you brought up... they really weren't all that relevant to the conversation. They're interesting to look at, but they prove nothing, and have even less bearing on what happens in Hollywood.

Tempest, the reason I made this message is because I do notice people have been somewhat ignorance and maybe hypocrisy when it comes to something like this. I'll give you an example: I remember in early 2000 after Hollywood remake The Ring and started a wave of remake of Asian films. People who bash the remakes have used whitewash or racism to justify Hollywood remake of Asian film. Yet in 2008, Asia started to remake American film like HK remake Cellular into Connected, and Japan remade Sideways, and Ghost. I never hear the same group of people that bash American remake of Asian films hating on Asia remake of American films. So it's either people are not aware of this, or they stop the bashing on Hollywood after they gave back for all the remake. Another possibility is hypocrisy, I remember when the news of Sideways of getting a Japanese remake, one person said he/she hated the Hollywood remake of Asian film, but also said the Japanese remake of Sideways will be better then the American one and also bash the American film. Also a facebook group dedicated to stop remaking Asian Film, I was in this group, when I heard that Asia was remaking American films, I put links to the articles and telling them that the table has turned and Asia is now returning the favor. A day later, my posting about Asia remaking American film was gone and the leader sent me message to get out of the group. I ask the leader "why, the people in the group has the right to know", he just told me "get out". That's when I knew the leader was a hypocritic pro-Asian supremacist, I knew he wanted to cover up any news or traces of Asia remaking American films, it like he wanted to continuing bashing Hollywood for remaking Asian film despite Asia is doing the same thing. Also it's like the leader was scared if the news of Asia remaking American films came out on his group, then people would no longer want to bash Hollywood because Asia is doing the same thing. I kept sticking articles and links on that FB group about Asia remaking American films. The leader never bother to delete my posting. After that, the group is no longer active even to this day (guess they already found out that Asia has already remake American films and stop hating on Hollywood). That's why I kind of freak out when I see hypocrisy like this, some people would cover up "dangerous" information about other country doing something similar like what Hollywood did that could make people stop bashing Hollywood. Also, I've seen people using racism on stupid thing like people accuse Resident Evil 5 of racism. I've seen anime fans accuse Inception of Black Swan of ripping off anime (Paprika and Perfect Blue) and using whitewash and racism along with it.

Even though my example may not relate to Hollywood but to me the mindset is no different, white actor playing characters for Akira is no different from Japanese actor playing as Spiderman, an Indian person playing as Superman, or a Fillipino playing as Batman. As I said, people accused Hollywood of casting white people as Asian character but don't complain about other country doing something similar. It's probably people don't know this or they know but give a free pass to those. Who knows??

Quote:
There are plenty of non-racist reasons it could have happened, both artistic reasons, and business reasons. Unlike Largeview, while I recognize that there certainly is racism in Hollywood, it doesn't mean the Whitewashed Akira was the result of racisn.

I'll agree with you on that. I'll admit Hollywood has cases of racism (then again, we were a racist country), I don't think Akira cast was a result of racism. I don't know why people jump to conclusion it's racism. If Akira is racism, then Toho's film, Matango should also be accused of this also because as I mention, characters in the novel is caucasian and in the movie, they're replaced with Japanese characters. I don't see any difference. Also Largeview's rhetoric is somewhat strange and a little paranoid.

Quote:
As for moving Akira to America, I disagree with it from an artistic POV, but the business logic is sound. The audience will be more interested in what happens to Neo-Manhattan than Neo-Tokyo. You have to cater to your audience, even if they're a bunch of myopic rednecks.

No argument here, I will agreed with you on that. Tempest thank you for answering my question I think I understand better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bradc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
bradc wrote:

MADHOUSE, not Japan, animated those shows because Marvel paid them to do so. It was a two birds with one stone decision for Marvel. Marvel has always had an interest in furthering the popularity if it's heroes worldwide and the recent movies has created a lot of buzz for new animated shows. So instead of going with a local animation house like WB, Marvel went with MADHOUSE and was able to get some Japanese airtime with shows they planned to bring over to the U.S.

MadHouse Animation is in Japan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madhouse_%28company%29. but being reliable partnerships joint-ventures businesses. Any company whether it be animation or film plays part in what they do to impact the market of the fans.

mdo7 wrote:
Yes but animation and live-action are different. The X-men, Wolverine, Iron Man they didn't change the race and nationality of the character. They didn't change Tony Stark from white to Japanese (They didn't change Tony Stark's name to something Japanese). What LongView was ranting about was live-action whitewash/racism from Hollywood. As in casting a white actor to play as Japanese character in live-action. Yes you are correct about Hollywood is the international stages of film. But people like him are throwing racism and whitewash about it but yet don't complain when Japan did a live-action Spiderman when the character was played by a Japanese person. Don't forget the Indian Superman Enurtsol brought up along with my Turkish Captain America and Fillipino Batman. How's that any different from casting white people as Asian characters. Also I mention Matango, a Japanese film based on a western novel. the novel had caucasian characters but yet the Japanese movie had Japanese character so according to his logic, this would be his definition of whitewash and racism. So why complain about Hollywood when other country did something similar.

Does this hurt the Animations companies or Hollywood Internationally any shape or form?

But instead it seem to benefit the niche and trying to reach more fans because the fandom is the base that support and foundation. Everyone, every person is a foreigner when it comes to watching films and animation because it diminishes the racism between cultures of the person's background who plays the hero.

Some people complain because they don't like "change" or adapt to a new environment that they are unfamiliar with when crossing-borders where there are no boundaries, even when it has been done before: remake, rewrite, renew. It basically been done to death.

Last edited by bradc on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:

mdo7 wrote:

Does this hurt the Animations companies or Hollywood Intentionally in any shape or form?

But instead it seem to benefit the niche and trying to reach more fans because the fandom is the base that support and foundation. Everyone, every person is a foreigner when it comes to watching films and animation because it diminishes the racism between cultures of the person's background who plays the hero.

Some people complain because they don't like "change" or adapt to a new environment that they are unfamiliar with when crossing-borders where there are no boundaries, even when it has been done before: remake, rewrite, renew. It basically been done to death.

No it doesn't damage animation or Hollywood. I agreed it diminishes racism ad cultural gap, but the drawback is this end up creating Wapanese (or non-Asian people that think they are Asian), Pro-Asian supremacist, and paranoid people who throw conspiracy theory about Hollywood is always racist against Asian till the end (like LargeView for example) who use lie, covering up information (downplay the evidence and probably ignore it) that might endangered their agenda/activity, and using unreliable sources and pulling double standard just to promote their agenda. I really hate these type of people that use racist and whitewash on stupid thing like Resident Evil 5, and now Akira after the potential cast. It's worse when they say what's OK, and what's not OK.
bradc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

No it doesn't damage animation or Hollywood. I agreed it diminishes racism ad cultural gap, but the drawback is this end up creating Wapanese (or non-Asian people that think they are Asian), Pro-Asian supremacist, and paranoid people who throw conspiracy theory about Hollywood is always racist against Asian till the end (like LargeView for example) who use lie, covering up information (downplay the evidence and probably ignore it) that might endangered their agenda/activity, and using unreliable sources and pulling double standard just to promote their agenda. I really hate these type of people that use racist and whitewash on stupid thing like Resident Evil 5, and now Akira after the potential cast. It's worse when they say what's OK, and what's not OK.

Aren't you doing the same stereotyping them as "Wapanese"? That is why they are called Caucasians.

Can't see how this is going anywhere when one is blaming another for their own actions.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
bradc wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Aren't you doing the same stereotyping them as "Wapanese"? That is why they are called Caucasians.

Can't see how this is going anywhere when one is blaming another for their own actions.

Oh I see what you did there. Laughing

Well anyway, it looks like LargeView is not coming back anytime. Probably Enurtsol's evidence and my new evidences seem to have spook him with no way to counter those evidences. No way to despute that.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Well anyway, it looks like LargeView is not coming back anytime. Probably Enurtsol's evidence and my new evidences seem to have spook him with no way to counter those evidences. No way to despute that.

He probably realized it was pointless arguing with you.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8