• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Delays Fairy Tail Part 4, Heaven's Lost Property Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
What is going on with funi? It seems like we have had a a couple of cancelations lately, I hope they are not having financial problems.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
however, if you care about the right thing to do and the direction the anime industry is headed then you should absolutely not buy heaven's lost property II, and I actually like that season

That depends on how you define right. Some would say that charging what it cost to actually produce the product is the right thing to do. Other would say that demanding a quick release at a chump change price that has no hope of even making a dent on the actual cost of producing the product is the right thing to do.

mgosdin wrote:
The consequences of this are still being discovered, particularly for the Japanese as their domestic market for entertainment earns it's money in a markedly different fashion than the US or even other Region A markets such as Taiwan.

Taiwan and Japan actually sell anime in a very similar format: two or 3 episodes per volume at a price that would make an American cry and scream greed. That's probably why TW gets more anime released and gets series quicker.

US prices are like... if the global anime market was Funimation, the US is basically a SAVE only country. Think of it like that and a lot of things immediately start making sense as to why the JP side treats us the way they do.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
bmt528i wrote:
What is going on with funi? It seems like we have had a a couple of cancelations lately, I hope they are not having financial problems.
If they were, it would help explain their 8 million dollar lawsuit against Sentai which came "out of left field".

After last year's Darker than Black 2 delay fiasco I'm not shocked by these delays at all. Funimation can not screw me with delays worse than they already have with DtB2. It's all downhill from here.

Maybe they can tweak Heaven's Lost Property a bit during the delay? I'm not really feeling the dub, but then I submit that a tongue-in-cheek comedic show should have been handled by Sentai, who has a proven track record here. It's still better than the bipolar performance in Bang/Zoom's dub of Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, better by far.

The blu-ray region coding and bone-headed Japanese business decisions make me feel better as an American; we aren't the only ones known for asinine & myopic business decisions which have far-reaching & long-term consequences. Rolling Eyes Wink
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
bmt528i wrote:
Reverse-importation fears is one of the reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
What reverse importation fear? There's no Japanese BD release of FT for Funi's release to compete against at this point.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't talking about just these releases (I'm aware there is no BD at all for Fairy Tail in Japan.), I was talking about in general like Strike Witches 2 for example. That was one of the most recent delays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
On 01/12/2012, FUNimation's explanation for releasing Heaven's Lost Property 2 as DVD-Only was

Quote:
"In order to bring Heaven's Lost Property Forte to our fans as quickly as possible, the March 20, 2012 release will contain a 2-disc DVD set. The packaging will also include a 4 color filler box with limited edition art cards exclusive to this set. We apologize for any confusion."

Since they've now delayed the release from March 20 to April 17, we know that the explanation about bringing the second season to us "as quickly as possible" was completely phony.

If FUNimation is becoming unreliable for whatever reasons (the "BD gray market", the economy, simple business incompetence, whatever) then so be it. We're smart enough to adjust our buying habits accordingly.

In the meantime, FUNimation should probably stop trying to save face with bogus explanations. Saying nothing at all is better for PR than transparent lying.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Or ask informed anime fans to word it in a way that won't piss people off.

The HLP Season 2 delay I find to be quite funny. First they strip the set of the BD's, now they delayed it for a month with no explanation (If they give one, I suspect they'll word it as poorly as the Dance in the Vampire Bund editing controversy. Boy that was fun. Laughing ).
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
you cannot call north america a SAVE only country and not talk about volume. Japan may pay more per item but alot more are probably sold here.

Japan also has a much broader selection of anime and anime merchandise which is another issue all in itself. What that means is a person with a set amount of money does not have enough money to buy everything that he wants.

That may be one reason for the shift in R1 imports besides lower prices. I myself spend much more on figures these past 5 years as the quality has improved greatly. I don't have to paint resin kits myself anymore. I can see someone buying a US BD as a means to save money to also purchase the anime figure instead of just buying a JP BD and then not having enough. This is just conjecture based on what I believe to be my own spending habits.

anyway, one thing is definitely certain. The anime market is flooded and the world is facing recession. People will always spend money on their hobbies which bring them happiness but they will be much more savvy about it.

edit:
oh, one more interesting tidbit
with the current exchange rate you sure can buy tons of US anime if you have JP yen, lolz.
when someone in Japan buys a 30$ USD anime they actually only paid what would be 20$ in their own currency, just a guesstimate. of course, there would be shipping expenses to figure so purchases would most likely be in volume.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
you cannot call north america a SAVE only country and not talk about volume. Japan may pay more per item but alot more are probably sold here.

You cannot talk about volume and then not talk about volume.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

Do you seriously think that, if it was made available here, more than 233 000 Blu-Ray Discs of Tiger & Bunny would find a home here in America? Sorry, but I think you're putting way too much faith in the American/Canadian fandom. An eventual distributor would probably be happy to sell 1/20th this number of units, and were talking about a potential hit here over here. Sadly we don't really know the exact numbers for past American releases, but I doubt they're anything close to those from Japan.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
silencer226 wrote:
Wishful thinking but I wonder if they delayed HLP Season 2 to get BD... Wishful thinking?

Unfortunately. I emailed Funimation and asked. They replied that there are no plans for a Blu-Ray release "at this time".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2