• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haibane Renmei (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:30 pm Reply with quote
so i just finished watching this series, and i'm pretty disappointed.

is this based on something else? cause it just feels like an incomplete story, and that's a terrible way to end a series like this. the whole spoiler[Reki story arc] was way overdone.

the only impression i seem to get is that spoiler[the Haibane are all dead]
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Well it was done by the same people who did Serial Experiments Lain, so that should have been a hint as to what to expect. It does need a lot of cognative investment. I look forward to seeing this as it's the kind of anime I love. No exploding this, or that, no giant this, or that, and no unnecessary gratuitous fanservice. They don't make enough of this genre for me. Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Red Recluse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:52 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

is this based on something else? cause it just feels like an incomplete story, and that's a terrible way to end a series like this. the whole spoiler[Reki story arc] was way overdone.

It was based on four (I believe it was four?) doujinshis done by ABe. They only comprised the story up to about the second episode, and also some of Reki's background, though.
Well, the series is definitely unique. It's definitely my personal favorite, so I'm rather partial. It does require much interpretation, though.
Innotech

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:15 pm Reply with quote
to truly enjoy what Haibane is about you have to watch it at least 5 itmes. Taken on hte surface it isnt really aboutm uch of anything, but delve into its philosophy and spirtuality and explore its characters and youll find yourself enjoying it much more. IN fact, check out http://cff.ssw.net and go to hte messageboard for very deep and mature thoughtful discussion about practically ANYTHING that has to do with hte show. and I mean right down to what the paintings on the old home walls mean. Its not my favorite show for nothing Smile
Grico

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:56 pm Reply with quote
It's the best anime ever as far I am concerned. Despite that I could understand people not liking it because it is very unlike most anime. There is no real violence or romance or any other traditional anime elements. Its a series of thought and introspection not more immediate gratification. Personally I think the ending is very apt and appropriate spoiler[It resolves the character arc of Rakka growing from someone who doesn't believe she has personal value to someone who has the self-confidence in herself to do the right thing even when it takes standing up to someone she cares about and losing that person] Haibane Renmei is a drama through and through, not something that is meant for the traditional anime (and the vast majority of most medium's) goal of mostly just amusing the audience. It somehow even surpasses Lain, by being as deep and personal as Lain while also being much more touching, understandable and simple. And as previously posted the series needs to be watched several times to appreciate its beauty and power.
Iria51

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:09 pm Reply with quote
It reminded me a little of NeiA Under 7 a little bit on the surface, since ABe also did that show as well. However Haibane Renmei had a better ending than NeiA did since that show just sort of ended. Both shows were nice and kind of quirky, but I really fell in love with the story and the characters. Definitely not action shows.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:26 pm Reply with quote
The only real connection to Lain is the character designs, as the story for Lain was by Konaka whereas ABe did both story and character design for Haibane.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Red Recluse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Iria51 wrote:
but I really fell in love with the story and the characters
I haven't seen Neia, but I thought it was Haibane's characters that made the series really shine. Multi-dimensional, cliche-free characters.
msi435

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

I can see what your saying, it was incomplete, a lot was un-answered but there is something special about this one. Weather it be the characters or the world it takes place in, there something about haibane renmei that is inspiring. You almost have to finish the story and the philosophy with in your own mind, which ordinarily I would hate, but for some reason I'm ok with it. It makes you think of life, death, and spoiler[what is beyond those damn walls!] I’m glad nothing is really answered because if it were, I know I would be disappointed. HR is defiantly in my top 5, as incomplete as it is. I recommend it to everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tivome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the site. I'm a very big fan of Haibane Renmei for a few years now and I can't believe I've never found it before. Haibane is one of my most favorite anime, right up there with Kino no Tabi.
kmlau

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
This anime is very deep, you kinda have to study it. Once u realize all the symbolism u will seriously think this anime is really good. The only thing i realized the first time i watched it is that spoiler[the haibanes are dead children, which already makes the story really touching.] Afterwards I went and studied it a bit and realized its really deep, and symbolisms are actually used properly and well portrayed, unlike evangelion...where there are so much of them but not as well portrayed

[edit - spoiler tags added. And for chrissakes, spell properly. b]
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:46 pm Reply with quote
You should really use spolier tags, kmlau.
Klampo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:21 am Reply with quote
spoiler[dead children]

where do you come about this conclusion? Just wonderin
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:41 am Reply with quote
it become pretty obvious if you pay attention.

a couple clues:

spoiler[1. the only birds you ever see in the town are crows, and they're the only ones allowed to go over the wall.

2. the way Rakka keeps saying she knows she was someone else before, but can't remember.

3. the big giveaway. When Reki drew her dream, its was of railroad tracks and a train coming, yet there doesn't seem to be any railroads in this town, and even she doesn't to remember what one is.]

that's how i came to that conclusion, there might more clues though.

what i wanna know is: spoiler[what did Rakka see on the wall when she went down the river?] they made it seem like it was a very important clue.
kmlau

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:31 am Reply with quote
Angel Of Death wrote:
You should really use spolier tags, kmlau.

my bad Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11