• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertical Adds Stan Lee & Tamon Ohta's Heroman, Keiko Suenobu's Limit Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
jsieczkar wrote:
The words Vertical and Queens Blade do not seem to fit together in my head.

There is something of a disconnect. Apollo's Song, Buddha, 7 Billion Needles, Queen's Blade, Twin Spica... Which one of these is not like the others...

That's the thing, though: Ed Chavez wants to expand the identity of Vertical. He doesn't want Vertical to keep the present identity of the company (like how they can be called "the company that does Tezuka manga"). Doing a Queen's Blade artbook is different from what Vertical does, but that's exactly what Ed Chavez wants Vertical to do.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
OH MY GOD THEY GOT LIMIT. OH MY GOD. WIN. I never thought it would get licensed. Now all they need to do is have someone relicense Life and my year will be MADE. Do we know if it'll be physical books or digital, or both?
MrXarnus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
OH MY GOD THEY GOT LIMIT. OH MY GOD. WIN. I never thought it would get licensed. Now all they need to do is have someone relicense Life and my year will be MADE. Do we know if it'll be physical books or digital, or both?

Physical, some time ago they said on their Twitter page they won't do digital anytime soon, and I don't read anywhere in article that this isn't correct.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I'll pick up Limit, for sure. Sounds like a shojo Lord of the Flies. Unless I pick up Princess Knight before then, it'll be my first Vertical book.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
@st_owly, pick up Twin Spica, make that your first Vertical series. Of all the stuff they've published this far, it's easily my favorite, it needs to be on everyone's shelf.

Anyway, this definitely struck me as Vertical trying to become more mainstream, I just hope it doesn't bite them in the rear later (although Chi's Sweet Home was a huge success sales wise, that's for sure, they probably do need a few more super hits like that and I hope they find one soon). But these aren't really the sorts of things I'd be interested in buying either. I'll rent Limit from the library first since there seems to be some good buzz for it, but usually when I hear of a Vertical license I go "Shut up and take my money!" and I'm not doing that, this is a "meh" license announcement for me. I do hope they'll announce a Tezuka license soon (which does kinda make them "that company that publishes Tezuka" but i'd be lying if I said I didn't love them for it) or maybe some more stuff like Twin Spica.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
MrXarnus wrote:
Physical, some time ago they said on their Twitter page they won't do digital anytime soon, and I don't read anywhere in article that this isn't correct.

KA-CHING. Very Happy
GhostShell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
The story for Limit sounds interesting. I'll have to keep that one in mind to check out when it's released.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Vertical getting Heroman? You would think Marvel would get it since Stan Lee worked on it! If Dark Horse can expand beyond Western comics into manga, why not Marvel?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Vertical getting Heroman? You would think Marvel would get it since Stan Lee worked on it! If Dark Horse can expand beyond Western comics into manga, why not Marvel?

Do you really want another CMX?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:

Eh, they are two very different publishers. Dark Horse focuses on independent comics, while Marvel's primary comic series involve company-owned characters. The same applies to DC, though it has a strong imprint of creator-owned comics called Vertigo.

But, basically, they just have different focuses and models. They might just not see a manga series, even if co-created by Stan Lee, to be viable. CMX didn't pull in the numbers DC wanted, and the same could happen to a Marvel manga imprint. (Yes, CMX had some censorship issues that hurt sales, but still.) It's understandable, considering the economic climate.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh heck yes!!!

Limit is amazing, but I've only been able to read the first few volumes scanlated. I can't wait to be able to buy it. I hope it sells well and then maybe we'll finally get to see the LIFE finale.

For those interested in a LIFE finale you can always check out the equally awesome J-drama that actually improves on a lot of the plot elements.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I spy a typo. Heroman was published in 2009, not 2005.
sepherest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
yomanffgg wrote:
At last Vertical publishing something decent lol.

Vertical has published plenty of decent things before this Confused

That being said I'll definitely keep my eye out for Limit and the Queen's Blade artbook.
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I just shrug my shoulders here, even though I may check out Limit. Moomintroll's reaction mirrors mine. It's not as though I expect Vertical to stay as a "prestige" publisher for manga, so I can understand them expanding into different series. Still, nice, quality surprises like 7 Billion Needles, Furuya, Twin Spica, Jiro Matsumoto, etc. are what I associate with the company - not a Stan Lee manga and a Queen's Blade art book. I know everyone needs money, so I'll just wait for the rest of the year to see what their future catalogue looks like. I'm sure they'll be a few titles I'll want to buy.

TitanXL wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:

Do you really want another CMX?

Another CMX would be awesome! A lot of disgruntled Tenjho Tenge fans defined them by that one title, but they released a lot of diverse titles that wouldn't have been released by anyone else, and they filled a big shojo/josei niche, as well.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Another CMX would be awesome!

Yeah! Though I guess the new Vertical is kinda similar to CMX. CMX with business sense, I mean. You know what would be nice? If Vertical rescued some CMX titles! I'm not asking for Swan or From Eroica with Love (though I wouldn't how fast I'd be able to throw money at them if they did somehow think it would be a good idea to publish old, terrible selling shoujo manga), but how about some Apothecarius Argentum and 51 Ways to Save Her? That totally fits Vertical's (new) profile!

Eh anyway, Limit sound good. Looking forward to that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3