• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Grave of the Fireflies DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I think that's the point. The author hated himself for what he did, so it's no surprise that the audience doesn't sympathize with him either in Takahata's adaptation.

Exactly. Seita was intentionally portrayed in an unsympathetic way because the original author blames himself for what happened to his own sister.

Having said that, I wasn't entirely without sympathy for Seita. We're all prone to making errors of judgement, particularly when we're young, in circumstances far less harrowing than those in which Seita found himself. I even find it difficult to loathe the Aunt despite her cruel treatment of Seita and Setsuko because she was just doing what she could to help her own family survive. What I took from the film above all else was simply that war and what it does to regular people is terrible and tragic.

As for Barefoot Gen, I wanted to like that film but it didn't have the same impact on me as Grave of the Fireflies despite the more graphic depictions of death. For one thing it's aged badly, having a far lower budget than GotF and resorting to hyper-dramatic close-ups and music swells that, for me at least, did not have the intended effect. There's just no comparison to the quiet majesty of Takahata's masterpiece.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Still remember when my class and I watched this in my Japanese cultural studies course back in 2005. Such a heart-wrenching story. Outliving wartime, carrying survivor's guilt, I just can't imagine what any of that must feel like.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I've got The Anime Network On Demand, but I've been avoiding looking at Grave of the Fireflies for nearly a month now because I knew I'd feel depressed and sad afterward. Finally went ahead and saw it--and I was right.

A very powerful movie, but definitely an unhappy story. Like real life, not every story has a happy ending, but that doesn't make Grave of the Fireflies any less a moving story.
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure but is there a Blu Ray release on this film?
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
I'm not sure but is there a Blu Ray release on this film?

No.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
noigeL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
But, out of curiosity, should I buy this Remastered release or try to track down the earlier releases?

Both? If the picture of the earlier releases is as bad as the screencaptures suggests, then the new release looks significantly better and it should be purchased because the film itself is the whole point of it. The old 2002 CPM collector's edition has a number of extras that might also be worth owning.

^^;

Here's what I would recommend: pick up the current Sentai release because it's the best the film has ever looked, at least over here. If you end up really liking the film and you like watching extras, track down either the ADV or CPM two-disc releases and do some swapping so you'll get the best looking version of the movie with all the extras.

I really think Theron should update this review or insert an edit note regarding the picture quality, because he's (unintentionally) providing misinformation by saying there's no difference.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
But, out of curiosity, should I buy this Remastered release or try to track down the earlier releases?

Both? If the picture of the earlier releases is as bad as the screencaptures suggests, then the new release looks significantly better and it should be purchased because the film itself is the whole point of it. The old 2002 CPM collector's edition has a number of extras that might also be worth owning.

^^;

Here's what I would recommend: pick up the current Sentai release because it's the best the film has ever looked, at least over here. If you end up really liking the film and you like watching extras, track down either the ADV or CPM two-disc releases and do some swapping so you'll get the best looking version of the movie with all the extras.

I really think Theron should update this review or insert an edit note regarding the picture quality, because he's (unintentionally) providing misinformation by saying there's no difference.

Well thanks to both of you. Anime smile I'll probably end up buying the new and a older release.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh God.... I just read that the mom was played by Veronica Taylor one of my favorite VA's, I better not watch this movie for a while because I'll be bawling my eyes out when I see the mom. Sad
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:

Based on this and other comments made earlier, I went back and looked at both movies again and have concluded that those pointing out my apparent error were right. The relevant paragraph in the review has been revised accordingly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
[...]I went back and looked at both movies again and have concluded that those pointing out my apparent error were right. The relevant paragraph in the review has been revised accordingly.

Yay! Hopefully that'll sell a few more copies of the film. ^_^
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Key wrote:

Stark700 wrote:
Hmm, so based on its themes and story, would this be one of the movies that will trigger tears into a viewer's eyes similar to Key's works like Clannad: Afterstory, Air, etc?

I never got anywhere near as strong an emotional reaction from Grave as from the peak scenes in AS - but then, we're comparing a story which just lays it all out there with one that is finely-tuned for such a purpose.

...to a calculated melodrama built on mewling tragic non-characters (the women I mean, the men are pretty believably developed from what I've seen of Clannad,) meant to sell body pillows and figurines, regardless of artistic passion/integrity (I'm sure there was some and there is a fair amount of quality in the storytelling, but that's not why the show was produced,) or how well it jerks tears or whatever.

I have a couple of questions for you, Hope. First of all, I understand you are a fan of the intro of Paranoia Agent. I am too. I think the visuals are a bit creepy and unnerving, especially combined with the high energy song, and I think it fits the series very well.

But, as I understand it, the reason why the intro is the way it is is simply because Paranoia Agent aired late at night, and they wanted a loud high energy intro to make sure people were awake when the show started. They also saved money by using very few frames for the visual of the intro. At least I believe this is all correct.

So, first question. Assuming all this is true, does that lower your appreciation for the intro? Does the fact that the intro wasn't created with the intention of being some awesome subversive thing somehow make the intro any less cool?

Now, I understand that you didn't find the anime series Now and Then, Here and There to be a complete masterpiece. Almost, but not quite. And one of the issues you had was that when it was all over, you didn't really know what the point of it was, what the meaning of it was.

Later, you found out that it was inspired by real life situations involving child soldiers in Africa. So, is Now and Then, Here and There suddenly a masterpiece in your mind now? Does the fact that it was inspired by such things somehow change the fact that you could not tell this after watching the series?

The point I am trying to make is that what matters most is execution, not the intent of the production committee. Oh, when talking about the historical significance of an anime, maybe the reasons it was created matter. But if you are simply discussing entertainment value or the emotional response you get, it doesn't. Or shouldn't. After all, no one would ever argue that a badly executed pretentious mess should somehow be held to different standards just because the director was trying to tell something with meaning. So why should a perfectly executed emotional story be held as something creepy or "beneath" other anime when the only issues it has are ones related to production?

That's why I find your point totally flawed. Now, I'm not saying that Clannad is a perfect story. If you want to argue that Clannad has flat, fake characters and contrived melodrama, fine. That's a criticism I can understand and accept. But you're not saying that, or you're not just saying that. You're saying that the reasons Clannad was created, or at least what you think the reason it was created are (you're probably right mostly) somehow disqualify it from being compared to other works that were created for more "artistic" reasons.

And that is not something I agree with.
noigeL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
The point I am trying to make is that what matters most is execution, not the intent of the production committee.

In the case of Clannad, the intent affects the execution in a noticeable way. I'm not sure the camera would linger on, for examples, Kyou's crossed legs or Kotomi's bare feet if the production committee didn't want me to buy body pillows and figurines of those characters.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:31 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Shouldn't it also be mentioned that for an authentic viewing experience, that My Neighbor Totoro should be watched afterwards?

It should be!

I think the dub is serviceable at least (I'm sure it was a touch choice if they couldn't get an actual 5 year old for Setsuko's role that time).

HyugaHinata wrote:
GotF is a brilliant film. The only issue I had with it was spoiler[how difficult it was to sympathise with Seita. He fed himself before his sister, and held on to his pride rather than work for his aunt.]

You aren't the only one. Rolling Eyes

It certainly would've been nice to have had an extra or two (like get someone for a commentary track just to ramble on about the war in context to the film or whatever).

enurtsol wrote:
Reminds us of the old Roger Ebert show. Laughing

It's not that funny. Evil or Very Mad

[quote="Prede"]I agree with this part of your post. While I love this movie, I like Barefoot Gen a bit more. Barefoot Gen indeed has that shock value aspect to it, plus unlike this it's depressing and horrifying. This is only terribly depressing. Oh god why do I like to have these feelings while watching movies. [/quote
Not me, I'm too desensitized to it. In the case of Barefoot Gen, you do have a main figure who remains optimistic despite such hardships that develop over time.

Speaking of which, some kind friends of mine sent me a tin of Sakuma Fruit Drops recently, I'm happy for that!
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if people are aware or not but Sentai Filmworks re-dubbed the film earlier this year.I was surprised that there was no mention of this in the review itself.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
The new dub is for the upcoming Blu-Ray release; this release doesn't have it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5