• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guess LE Madoka wasn't so limited

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eri94

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Two days from the "official" release date one month ago and it is still being sold. Anyone else feel a little put off? The vibe I had always gotten was this was going to be LIMITED and rare, especially at 75$.

I had all 3 per-ordered as soon as I could, and yet here we are. Looks like I could have done absolutely nothing and had no trouble securing a copy.

So either no one bought it, or it is hell of a lot less limited than I thought it was going to be.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
No, I don't feel put off. My enjoyment of a product is not enhanced by being one of only a few to own it. I bought the sets thinking there was a chance that if I delayed too long, I might be out of luck. It doesn't bother me that my fear was unfounded.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Whereas my knowing that you two own it too curdles my milk and makes my viewing pleasure as ashes in my mouth.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Then I can truly say my work here is done...
GDFan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
It's been on Rightstuf's best selling list since it was announced. I think it's good that everyone who wants to can actually get their hands on it.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Let me throw out a scenario that I completely made up:

8,649 people preordered the LE.

Aniplex wanted to do a type of print on demand system to ensure everyone who preordered one got a copy.

Since disc pressing is done in factors of 1000, they went and printed 9000 copies.

This way everyone who preordered gets one and anyone who watches the free stream on CR and decides to get it can also get one, as long as they do so timely since, at this point, there are only 351 copies left for those who weren't sure.

So it is limited, but it's limited to those loyal fans that preordered months in advance since Aniplex wants to take care of them. The fact that there's remainders is simply a product of the way disc printing is done. I guess, if you wanted to look at it this way, the real LEs are the ones that are left for those stragglers to grab, should they be convinced by the CR stream.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they are using volume ones sales to consider how many of two and three to print?

Business is business. They could have probably just thrown that "limited" in there to gather the biggest bunch of pre-orders known to man.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
You're complaining because the company didn't intentionally release a super limited supply of their product in order to manufacture a false, meaningless feeling of value and force their customers to either pay up immediately or miss their chance?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that the limited editions are still available. I thought that they'd be sold out by the day of release, but I never really had a particular reason for that.

In a way, it works against me since I have been passingly tempted by them, but each time tried to deter myself, expecting that by the time my resolve broke or I was hit on the head the right way, they'd be sold out.

I never thought that exclusivity was the point of the limited editions. I see it partly as a designation for more elaborate packaging and more added content. Even more than that, I see deeming it a limited edition to be about long term scarcity; creating the expectation that no more than the first run will be published, so that people would be encouraged to buy now rather than risk being faced with drastically higher prices later. I'll grant that I don't have a strong collector's mentality, so I might be seeing this differently than a significant share of the target market.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I think way in the back of all our minds we were all kinda hoping for it to sell out just a bit. Its literally the most expensive domestic release to ever grace our market. Some people had to do some sacrificing for it. Pride can be associated with that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
To tell you the truth, I prefer when LEs don't sell out. As I say, exclusivity doesn't heighten my enjoyment of a title (this, by the way, is distinct from the "feather in my collector's cap" mentality I have when I come across an OOP gem for a reasonable price). I don't like feeling pressured into buying. I wish the Garden of Sinners set was still available at its original outrageous price. When it came on the market, I was simply not conditioned to consider paying that price for an 8 movie set. Time has passed, my purchasing cherry has been busted in various ways, plus I actually have a BD player now. But now I have to hope there is another BD release of some sort, because no frigging way am I going to pay $800 for a used copy of it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Heh, well, this one didn't hook me enough, to shell out for the BD LEs when there's a perfectly good DVD version that's far cheaper. I got that instead.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Heh, well, this one didn't hook me enough, to shell out for the BD LEs when there's a perfectly good DVD version that's far cheaper. I got that instead.
The LE is a BD/DVD combo pack, which was what originally sold me.
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:10 am Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
Two days from the "official" release date one month ago and it is still being sold. Anyone else feel a little put off? The vibe I had always gotten was this was going to be LIMITED and rare, especially at 75$.

I had all 3 per-ordered as soon as I could, and yet here we are. Looks like I could have done absolutely nothing and had no trouble securing a copy.

So either no one bought it, or it is hell of a lot less limited than I thought it was going to be.

I'm not surprised at all, not when there were no less than 3 different versions of Volume 1:

Don't have a Blu-Ray player and not planning to get one in the near future? DVD version.

Have a Blu-Ray player/ going to get one eventually, but not interested in soundtracks /extra cards/ stuff or don't have the shelf space? Blu-Ray is available.

And of course, the LE. Aniplex offered purchasing options for Puella Magi; I wonder how quickly and completely The Garden of Sinners box would have sold out if there been more than one game in town.

I'm still hoping against hope that Aniplex will offer a scaled-down set (with a scaled-down price) for GoS.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quote
Rime of the Ancient Otaku wrote:

I'm not surprised at all, not when there were no less than 3 different versions of Volume 1:

Don't have a Blu-Ray player and not planning to get one in the near future? DVD version.

Have a Blu-Ray player/ going to get one eventually, but not interested in soundtracks /extra cards/ stuff or don't have the shelf space? Blu-Ray is available.

And of course, the LE. Aniplex offered purchasing options for Puella Magi; I wonder how quickly and completely The Garden of Sinners box would have sold out if there been more than one game in town.

I would have bought and indeed will buy Madoka if it gets a Region A/1 release that actually admits BDs/DVDs can hold more than a hour and a half of product as opposed to the region A/2 release it has now. So I'm not catered to at all.

I feel so left out. I guess I'm stuck with my Pirated fansub version which is stupid because:

1 I love Dub/Sub DVD releases
2 Aren't they trying to stop this sort of thing?
3 I hate fansubs
4 I have all the other Dubbed Shaft releases on BD and DVD
5 I wanted to get it but on more reasonable terms.

The dumbest thing is that if I wanted it, I could find the dub/sub version as well. They're insane, they're just insane...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3