• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. Movie Converted into 3D

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
UGH... seriously, no more post-pro 3D. If you have the demand for a re-release of the last GitS movie, why not just make a new one that was made for a 3D release?
Ulinox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Great news! I had my doubts about this new SAC movie, but now that I hear it's going to be converted to 3D, it just has to be GOOD! I mean why else would they CONVERT it to 3D?! Yeah!! Hell yes!! 3D 4 life!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
If it's not a new movie, that means I don't care. I hope this is not the project Production IG was hinting at "returning to" because if so that would be extremely disappointing. I want new stuff not recycled material. The movie is awesome for sure, but do we really need it in 3D? Rolling Eyes
batou37

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Even though I already have seen it twice and the L.E. is probably the next thing to add to my collection (since my last special edition volume of SAC hopefully will arrive today, and my 2nd gig collection in that cool looking unfolding box should be here by the beginning of next week) I'd go see it. I know that there has always been a large outcry that converting something to the stereoscopic 3D like they did with Clash of the Titans vs filmed for 3D like Avatar makes a huge difference and it doesn't look good; does that same thing apply to anime? All in all it really doesn't matter to me because if it comes anywhere near to impressing me like Avatar in 3D did I want to see it. I'm also a huge fan of the series so if I help to garner support for it and they see an influx of revenue from it, maybe it will show there is still a large enough interest to make another TV season. It's all rather moot in my case though since the probability of an anime being shown at one of the few 3D capable theaters in a small podunk town in South Carolina is slim to none at best. Although, with the length of time between a release in Japan and the subsequent release on blu ray in R1 is so large, its quite possible a 3D TV and blu ray player will be cheap enough for me to have up-graded by then.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
batou37 wrote:
I know that there has always been a large outcry that converting something to the stereoscopic 3D like they did with Clash of the Titans vs filmed for 3D like Avatar makes a huge difference and it doesn't look good; does that same thing apply to anime?

Well, look at it this way: we are talking about converting something initially filmed in "2D" into stereoscopic "3D", not just "3D" into stereoscopic "3D" (insofar as we can make these differentiations on an essentially flat medium). I think you get what I mean.

In other words, I think it's going to suck; having said that, I've never been fond of the stereoscopic experience--I watched Avatar in a regular theater before I did the whole glasses thing--so maybe I'm not best-equipped to offer an opinion. But I really don't see how converting a flat artform (animation) into "3D" could turn out looking good.

I'm with Kruszer: I'm going to be really disappointed if this is what IG was talking about.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Why not just convert the original movie and Innocence?

Last edited by the-antihero on Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
UGH... seriously, no more post-pro 3D. If you have the demand for a re-release of the last GitS movie, why not just make a new one that was made for a 3D release?

I agree with you 100%, I rather have a new version in 2D than a re-release in 3D

Rolando
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I expect that they are doing this solely for the profit potential. GitS is a very popular show and any new release is likely to sell well. That being said, I can't say I'm terribly excited about this - I already have all of the DVD's and I'm perfectly happy with them. I also have a hard time seeing how a show created in 2D, as well done as it is, is going to translate effectively into a 3D format.

The whole glasses thing is a drag, too. I already wear glasses to see, and putting another pair over the top to see a show is really a lot of bother.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Rolando_jose wrote:
Splitter wrote:

I agree with you 100%, I rather have a new version in 2D than a re-release in 3D

Rolando

I guess they're doing this to boost the sales of the inevitable blu-ray release. What a waste of money though.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Ghost in the Shell has always been about a futuristic society. The move to 3D is just following the theme, donchathink? Laughing
unready

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
I had my doubts about this new SAC movie, but now that I hear it's going to be converted to 3D, it just has to be GOOD! I mean why else would they CONVERT it to 3D?!

SSS has been out for a while. It's not new. Or was this sarcasm about 3D?

Frankly, I'm a little perplexed. I like SSS, but I heard it didn't do well enough to make up for its big production budget. So now they're going to spend more money on it? Let me add my voice to the chorus of 2D-to-3D haters (plus, given I haven't ever heard anyone express the opinion that they love 2D-to-3D conversion), and I become even more perplexed by I.G.'s expenditure. Yeah, the article states that the franchise has sold tons of stuff. But that's the franchise, not SSS alone.

I'd rather see a new SAC movie, assuming Kamiyama can come up with a good story for one.
Strike Freedom Meister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Come on Production I.G.!! Who are you guys kidding? There's nothing good that can come from converting something made for 2D into 3D. If you guys are going to spend the bucks, give us an originally made for 3D production.

3D is such a gimmick in my opinion. What the anime studios need to do is get the content out there where the people are at. iTunes, Roku, Hulu, Netflix, Xbox 360, PS3 & make it reasonably priced. 3D gimmickery is not needed to sell anime. We also need more mainstream outlets and stories that appeal to Western audiences as much as Eastern audiences. A couple of Japanese/American co-productions of anime to live action could really boost the anime market.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Well, look at it this way: we are talking about converting something initially filmed in "2D" into stereoscopic "3D", not just "3D" into stereoscopic "3D" (insofar as we can make these differentiations on an essentially flat medium). I think you get what I mean.

In other words, I think it's going to suck; [...] But I really don't see how converting a flat artform (animation) into "3D" could turn out looking good.

Ordinarily, yes, but considering we are talking about a CG-animation, shouldn't it really only require running the programs through the rending process again from a (or two) slightly different vantage points? There is no original footage in the conventional sense and the slight variation in perspective required to generate depth is hardly enough to "destory the director's vision." As long as the detailed source information is available, they should be able to re-render it again later in 4k-tactile-3d with little more than a few months of computer time.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
^^^But that still costs money, and if the movie doesn't do well, how can you justify the time and money if it didn't do well in the first place

Not to mention, I abhore this 3D fad that marketing has gone into. 3D Motherfuckin toothpaste? TOOTHPASTE (Crest 3D White Advnaced Toothpaste) come on, converting things to 3D doesn't change how good the movie is, in fact it could detract from it in a big way OH MAN LUFFY'S ARM STRETCH OUT SOOOOO FAR! (Caps intended)
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I'll be buying this for a third time (assuming that it'll released in the US).

I've already got the LE DVD and I also plan on getting the upcoming BD. The sad thing is, I love GITS so much, I dont really mind buying the movie multiple times, even though I could be using that money to buy something new...

However, I do admit that the 3D-conversion gimmick is getting kinda old. If they really want to do 3D I would've rather they made a new movie, as opposed to just converting the previous one.

Last edited by doubleO7 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2