• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Touhou Project Creator Restricts Commercial Works, Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I prefer them older. Sorry if I have sexual preferences.
hahahaohwow.jpg Nothing wrong with that, though!

Quote:
And then I replied with this joke:
Okay, well, so you do at least recognize that my initial comment was said with a touch of humor. That said, my joke detector didn't pick anything up when scanning your reply.
Scr1be

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean no more ufotable Touhou anime? Or am I understanding this wrong?
toyNN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
ZUN should bring down the hammer. He's been overly generous with allowing all sort of derivations on his Touhou creations. When commercial entries are trying to get paid for it, you've got to draw the line. When they derivate to eroge and such that, I imagine for ZUN, "damages" Touhou's furture game sales, time for a hammer of sorts.

Lapis Lazuli Lolita wrote:
ZUN's bringing down the hammer. I wonder if this will affect that terrible yukkuri game on Xbox Live, since Reimu and Marisa are kind of in it.
gapgapgap

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why so many people are overreacting and misinterpreting the new amendments when the whole "do not use ZUN's works commercially without permission" thing should have been obvious from the get-go. Hm.

Also, for final clarification: The anti-explicit content rule only applies to commercial goods; most likely people who go to non-doujin companies to get their stuff mass-produced for distribution, or else sold on commercial sites (e.g. Amazon, J-list, et cetera). Doujin works are unaffected. Don't worry, guys, all your R-18 favorites on pixiv are safe.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Did somebody ACTUALLY say that their are no decent fan animations? 0_o Holy Christ in a hand bag! You live a sheltered life >.> go scour youtube and you'll find plenty of animations that are on par as some studio quality animation.

As for the fandom being a cluster **** it is no better than any other fandom *cough vocaloid* or even Haruhi and whatever. It is even better than those since it isn't as main stream.

Last edited by grooven on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I fail to see what all the fuss is about. Unless I'm mistaken, the policy as it is now is the way it's always been (i.e. yay doujin, boo commercial), all ZUN really did was re-word the whole mess and make a point to include newer media formats where these derived works were starting to appear. I sincerely doubt there will be any major repercussions out of any of this; the fans will still be free to produce the same remix albums, doujin games, doujin comics, and various & sundry other tributes, major commercial ventures will still feel the wintry bite of ZUN's cold shoulder, and the hentai folk will still produce hentai without a care to any of it.

Personally, I like how Touhou Project is represented now. The whole concept of having a cast of characters with very sparse characterization presented to a fanbase specifically so they could concoct their own canon is intriguing. It's especially intriguing when it results in the fans' interpretations becoming so heavily accepted they become "canon" to some degree (Sakuya & Meiling as a romantic couple, Cirno as a moron, Yukari as an overpowered slacker, MANnosuke, etc.). The primary consumers aren't just eating something up that a committee assumed they'd like based on demographic studies, the primary consumers are the committee. It's fun, and having the whole thing go heavily commercial as ZUN is leery of it doing really would ruin that. Hell, it could potentially damage the brand's profitability if a hypothetical anime adaptation favored one fan-canon over another, or overrode the entirety of fan-canon altogether. Touhou fans are pretty attached their interpretations of the cast, so being told by some commercial entity that the past decade or more of "canon" they've cultivated is wrong and "THIS is how it is" could cause the core audience to turn away and tank the whole franchise financially.

Touhou Project's a unique creature. It's simply grown too big underground and too set in its odd little ways to translate into the mainstream market without incurring heavy damage to both its image and its ability to make money, in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3