• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 30-sai no Hoken Taiiku TV Anime Plans Condom Tie-Ins

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That poster is so creepy

configspace wrote:
And WRT population; many other countries (EU and Russia) have the same birthrate or lower

Humbug! my sources say there is only one other country in the world with a lower birthrate.

Quote:
Japan's economy has much more to do with other factors than simple population. There are still more workers than jobs available.

Yeah and climate change has other factors besides CO2 levels in the atmosphere, but that does not mean CO2 levels are unimportant. Ergo, with 1 ouf of 5 japanese over the age of 65 pensions and medical treatments costs pile up negatively with other economic factors.

Quote:
Besides, Japan is smaller than California, yet currently has a population that is ~3.5x more!

That does not change the fact that modern economies need positive (and if posible, high) levels of birthrate to avoid collapsing.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
There are a lot of reasons why female characters are being drawn to look younger and younger, but I doubt "realism" is one of them.

I mean, look only a few decades back and you'll see that alot of women in anime actually look rather tall and curvey. Hell, look at most of Rumiko Takahashi's high-school characters...
nynextew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Thanks for not letting me down. I'm actually surprised this wasn't apart of the first post.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:32 am Reply with quote
The 30-Year-Old Virgin? Laughing

KabaKabaFruit wrote:

So, apparently, it looks like both characters in the show are supposed to be 30? I'm sorry but unless the manga or the show gives us a damn good reason as to why the girl looks much younger than 30, I can't help but call bullshit on this.

It just makes sense. They're just pandering to anime fans, who have lolita complex. So in that sense, it's realistic to have a 30-year-old virgin who have the hots to young-looking girls. Laughing

configspace wrote:

Japan's economy has much more to do with other factors than simple population. There are still more workers than jobs available.

Japan needs enough workers to support their growing senior population. But since Japan's xenophobia makes them unable to embrace importing immigrant workers especially in geriatric health care - why do you think they're doing so much research on robots! Laughing

Hiyugi wrote:
Since I'm approaching 30, I would like to see more shows related to my age than the normal high school drama stuff. Middle-Age romance maybe the way to go, who knows Anime hyper

That's an issue any aging anime fan faces, but no, there's no light at the end of the tunnel. There would be hardly any such thing as middle-age romance, unless ya watch doramas. Laughing
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:34 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Humbug! my sources say there is only one other country in the world with a lower birthrate.

In that link, according to the UN's stats, from 2005 - 2010, Germany, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Macau all have lower birthrates. And while Japan is 8.3 several other countries like Switzerland, Italy, and Austria are still close at 9.2, with South Korea at 9.3 and Poland at 9.5. In comparison, the US rate is 14.0 and India's 23.0

In addition there is the measurement of population decline, which is also factors in death rate and immigration/emigration in addition to birth rate. Aside from Japan, included in this list are Italy, Poland Germany, Russia, Estonia.

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah and climate change has other factors besides CO2 levels in the atmosphere, but that does not mean CO2 levels are unimportant. Ergo, with 1 ouf of 5 japanese over the age of 65 pensions and medical treatments costs pile up negatively with other economic factors.
Quote:
Besides, Japan is smaller than California, yet currently has a population that is ~3.5x more!

That does not change the fact that modern economies need positive (and if posible, high) levels of birthrate to avoid collapsing.

First, a system reliant on pensions is not good, there are better alternatives. I don't want to get into a debate so I won't pursue it further. Medical costs can be partially mitigated with a healthier population. Secondly, all such costs are temporary (over a generation) as the aged die off. Though there is an grim irony here--a faster decline i.e. temporarily higher death rates, means a shorter length of such an economic hit, reaching the point of replacement stabilization earlier.

Throwing more people at the problem is absolutely unsustainable as it also introduces a bad feedback cycle. In order to pay for that generation now with the same model, you have to throw even more people. Remember, the yen has a high value; inflation in money circulation is relatively low; Japan doesn't like to do "quantitative easing" aka print money (or borrow) like we do. They aren't going to become a major exporter or mass manufacturer like China. As I mentioned there are already not enough jobs, though unemployment is not that bad.. yet. However, pay rate for professional jobs is already low. So you're going to have even more lower paying jobs and less money to go around, have to import more goods and natural resources (less usable land, which also means less work locally by comparison), and have a resultant decrease in quality of life.

Saying "that modern economies need positive (and if posible, high) levels of birthrate to avoid collapsing." .. is exactly what leads to collapse in one way or another. You can observe the effects within communities of countries (population vs resource and opportunities) and not just between countries.

Now on other end of the scale, Estonia has a significantly larger percentage of population decline (0.632 vs Japan's 0.191) not to mention orders of magnitude smaller population (1,340,021 vs Japan's 127,360,000) as well as population density (75 vs Japan's 873.1 person/sq mi). You can see the decline here

Yet not many realize how very well it's doing. They don't have much global impact, their GDP isn't high, but that doesn't matter when they are doing so damn well for themselves, economically and socially. They are ranked #1 in economic and civil freedoms according to this 2006 report and they also have much better income distribution (see Gini index), quality of life, employment, education than the US

All this despite being a non-welfare state, having a low flat (!) tax at 21% (which was actually lowered from a few years ago; and average VAT at 20%), and "a balanced budget, almost non-existent public debt, the lowest ratio of government debt to GDP in the EU, free trade, competitive banking, innovative e-Services, and 90% energy independence"

So we can see that lower population does not inherently imply economic or social doom.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It just makes sense. They're just pandering to anime fans, who have lolita complex. So in that sense, it's realistic to have a 30-year-old virgin who have the hots to young-looking girls. Laughing

Be that as it may, I still find the prospect of taking the appearance of young girls in fiction and passing them off as 30 year olds for the purposes of justifying a moe relationship to be really slimey!

It's almost like Japan is finding any excuse for older men to have sex with young girls.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
It's cute that they're reaching out to 30 year old virgins.

I think the most detailed advice anyone in America would offer to a 30 year old who has never had sex or romance with a woman (and isn't homo) would go something like this:

1. Take cyanide capsule
2. Drop dead
3. ??????
4. PROFIT!
JuicyB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
It's almost like Japan is finding any excuse for older men to have sex with young girls.

It's almost like you're finding any excuse to be outraged. Laughing
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:

Hey, don't take my word for it. Come April, see how everyone else looks at the show and get back to me.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
On a side note, for those who have watched TWGOK anime. The guy doing the virgin's voice is Keima. I loled.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

Anime fans don't need no excuses! We're all pervs one way or another - and proud of it! Laughing
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
It's cute that they're reaching out to 30 year old virgins.

I think the most detailed advice anyone in America would offer to a 30 year old who has never had sex or romance with a woman (and isn't homo) would go something like this:

1. Take cyanide capsule
2. Drop dead
3. ??????
4. PROFIT!

If I was and American I would be quite offended right now. Does introversion and lack of promiscuity upset you that greatly?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
If I was and American I would be quite offended right now. Does introversion and lack of promiscuity upset you that greatly?

I take offense at anyone outside the USA using the term "american", do not use a term that inherently piles us with them, we have our own culture and set of values (i.e. Here we value family a lot more than our neighbor) :-p
JuicyB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

It doesn't offend me personally, but the average person around here would be very shocked and repulsed by the idea of a man reaching the age of 30 without having a romantic or sexual encounter with a woman (unless he's a dyed in the wool homo, of course). USA places a very high value on sex, and if someone isn't "getting some" he's considered to be a freak or a loser. Keep in mind that it is very easy to get laid here, all you need is fairly decent hygiene and an outgoing personality, as well as enough money to get into a nightclub and rent a room for the night. I imagine it must be a little more difficult for men in Japan to find sexual partners, or else videos like this would probably not exist.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Or you could go to Vegas. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3