• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Color Me Surprised

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
.....: Funimation decided not to produce more Case Closed episodes because of low sales. This, after 6 movies, and 5 seasons. That, right there, is all the proof anyone ever need.
And proof complete that fansubs and pirating had absolutely nothing to do with that. Because of the "fact" that 99.9% of them purchased the licenced product when it was released by FUNi. FUNi would just like to thank them all for their support if they could only get within arms reach of them. Laughing

Quote:
...Just like, I dunno, Adult Swim isn't expecting Squidbillies to do anything more than confuse and frustrate the general viewer who is flipping through channels at one in the morning.
It was a not too unsimilar situation that sparked the perpetual gas burner of anime interest in my head way back in 1999, but it was Tenchi Muyo on Sci-Fi-UK at 1AM-ish. Wink
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
I might be alone in this, but people seem to bash the Speed Racer movie quite a lot as if they expected something akin to Casablanca. I went in expecting a colorful and ridiculous racing movie with retarded characters and the like and I wasn't disappointed. It was like watching NASCAR after taking five hits of acid and there was a monkey...enough said.

That's like watching a 4kids dub and saying 'Yep, I expected a 4kids dub, so it was fine'.

The awfulness of the Mach Go Go dub doesn't really justify the movie being bad.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I believe someone copy/pasted my "Fate of Conan" post onto Funimation's new boards as well. It seems to travel well...

I'm a huge Conan fan thanks to Cartoon Network, and you can't blame me for not supporting the series as I got the singles, then box sets, then Viridian for no good reason... and I'm sure there are others in a similar boat. I honestly can't see how the series didn't sell enough for a "standard" series. Conan, however, seemed to have a lot more riding on it seeing the status of the series and multitude of changes necessary to make it "mainstream." I think the expectations for it were way too high, as Conan would never become the next... Dragon Ball Z, for example. Like Brian said: Funimation bet the farm, or at least the barn. With lower expectations (and likely nixing the localization), I think it would have succeeded as a niche title. It's sad that now we may never know, though at least with the manga still going, it shows that Conan is not truly dead in the US.

Buying a 600+ episode series in singles would be crazy (though I totally would... likely very few others would). I can't see anyone giving Conan a second chance with a dub, but giant sub only box sets would likely be the only chance Conan ever has to come back, by a different company, of course. And even that is wishful thinking, though it looks like some series made it back that way. Conan suffered from a lot of factors, and it is a shame if the rest doesn't make it here, because there's so much that we're missing out on.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of which, any word how the manga is doing? They're up to like Vol 40+. They're pretty behind the Japanese release, but they're still coming out
Que_Tal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Wow, wish I had answered the live-action movie question. I was hoping someone would mention Death Note. It would be very easy to adapt; they wouldn't need to be a ton of CGI and the story could easily be adapted for North America. Course, it depends on who makes it and how the adaptation is handled, so there's still a chance it could suck. But out of all the possible anime/manga adaptations, this would be the easiest one.

And, oh, Hellsing, of course! Seriously, someone make it happen! Very Happy

yeah any anime based vampire movie would blow up summer box office big time.
the teens luv vampires right now. its way in fashion these days...thanks to the WB network and those Twillight movies.
i wouldn't say Hellsing though...only because its not teen oriented.

they have been saying that dreamworks was going to produce a Ghost in the Shell live action movie....but it never happened.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:59 am Reply with quote
Que_Tal wrote:

yeah any anime based vampire movie would blow up summer box office big time.
the teens luv vampires right now. its way in fashion these days...thanks to the WB network and those Twillight movies.
i wouldn't say Hellsing though...only because its not teen oriented.

they have been saying that dreamworks was going to produce a Ghost in the Shell live action movie....but it never happened.

Correction, teen girls love vampires right now. That's who those Twilight movies and the WB schlock are targeted at. So, from that point of view, Vampire Knight would be a fine fit, since you have a generally non-threatening female lead surrounded by a bevy of pretty male vampires. Hellsing wouldn't necessarily capture that market because it's targeted more to a male audience, and while males might go watch it because it could be pretty cool, they wouldn't flock to it just because it's about vampires.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote
Did I mention that I like Hellsing AND Vampire Knight? And I haven't been a teenager for about twenty years now. You can't always pigeonhole people by demographics. I think Hellsing would do well at the theaters if done right.

As for Vampire Knight, it's lightyears better then Twilight. Not all vampire romance stories have to suck! Smile

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'm a female, too.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
You can't always pigeonhole people by demographics.

Exactly, I'm a guy who enjoys Vampire Knight after all. It's a good dark story.

If they made a movie based on Vampire Knight, the trailer would need to say something like, "based on the comic that came out before Twilight", because lord knows the Twilight-obsessed people would accuse VK of being a rip-off simply because it has vampires and a "one girl/two guys" main-character-setup (never mind the fact that the character interaction is vastly different and neither of the guys is a werewolf).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, you can't market a show/movie/whatever from the exceptions. I know guys (straight ones) that enjoy Sex in the City but no one counts on their support to carry such a show.

Not every vampire movie will explode, Look at last year's Let Me In for proof. There was some negative press because it was a remake of a very good foreign language film but the only people who cared about that were the geeks who had seen the original. And according to reviews it was a good movie in itself yet it bombed BIG TIME. So Sailor S got it right- the right kind of vampire movies succeed, not every kind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy Vampire Knight too, but if they made a VK movie and tried marketing it to 30+ year old males, they'd better hope the movie cost under $10,000 to make, otherwise they'd be hard pressed to make a profit. Demographics aren't pigeonholing anyone. It's not saying "You are not a girl between the ages of 12 and 18. You may not watch this movie!". It's simply looking at the large picture and realizing that that is the most likely market that will watch such a thing, and thus they are going to aggressively push it in a way that presents it to them first and foremost. I guess if you want to call it pigeonholing, I'm not gonna stop you, but to me that's just sound business practice.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think that's why so many Hollywood movies suck. They try too hard to market to one particular group of people and/or the lowest common denominator. The best movies are the ones that can appeal to different kinds of people. And not every movie needs to be a blockbuster; it's that kind of mentality that's ruined American movies.

Plus, Hellsing could easily be a blockbuster movie. Yes, it has vampires but it has KICKASS VAMPIRES, you know, the kind people have been clamoring for since Twilight turned vampires into wimps.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3